3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

The Energy Bill...

Started by cumulina, July 30, 2005, 08:05:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cumulina

So - now all it needs is a signature, I guess.

Now my question is: where does one invest in relation to the bill?

There is no way I'll be able to read the whole thing myself, but skimming comments from various sites there will be opportunities.

I'd be glad if you guys would comment on this.
Happy trading...

:)

Cumulina.

Del Boy

#1
I was looking at the very same thing when i found your post. I feel the sector will be hot this week due to the bill, which I think will be signed Tuesday.
The reason I was looking at the sector is Jim Cramer mentioned it on his show Friday evening at 6.00 pm  and happened to mention  heavy construction equipment would benefit from the bill. His choice is TEX and the stock moved over $1 in after market or during the show. Having said that he also recommended buying the dips. I guess MO MO players couldn't wait until Monday. Additionally he recommended TEX over CAT and having done some DD I found TEX is reporting Wed 3rd could a earnings suprise be in store?
I haven't gone through the sector yet but maybe someone on the board with scanning software can help narrow the search and start a vote or something.
I'll post more if I find anything worth looking at.

Del Boy

Sorry Cumulina I was looking at the wrong Bill I was looking at the Highway Bill so disregard the above post.

randstory

 Hi, cumulina-

Thanks for introducing the topic of the energy bill.

My impression of the bill is that the President is basically getting what he asked for- a piece of proposed legislation which he can sign.

My basic feeling- it's shamelessly porky in its handouts- the ethanol provisions are simply bad energy policy.

Our country should be the world leader in the development of all forms of alternative energy- wind turbine, solar cell and hydrogen, with emphasis on the direct generation of hydrogen through solar, and wind-hydrogen genration.
  We should have a greater sense of urgency and mission in developing energy independence in the current decade, than our country had in its efforts throughout the 1960's in putting American astronauts on the Moon.
Most American-made autos should be hydrogen-powered by 2020. The fuel cell is simply a stepping stone to complete independence from fossil fuels, using the most abundant element in the Universe.

That said- the energy bill is what most legislation is- a work of compromise. Also- in fairness- I haven't read it, and haven't read much commentary about it...

But here are my thoughts on investing, based on the energy bill, and on the development of a national agenda which prioritizes energy independence-

1) add to Sasol, Ltd. ADR (NYSE:SSL) - it has GTL technology, and CTL technology. These apply to U.S. coal reserves.

2) add to British Group ADR (NYSE:BRG)- they are an importer of LNG to the U.S.
3) add to Chicago Bridge & Iron (NYSE: CBI) this Netherlands-based company has a tremendous backlog of energy projects.

4) initiate Air Products And Chemicals (NYSE:APD)  this company will be l leader in Hogen(tm) fueling stations, built by DESC
5) Hold Quantum Fuel Technologies Worldwide (NASDAQ:QTWW) it's sold off after the merger with Starcraft- now its Tec-Star division- but should improve into the 2nd half of 2005.
6) Hold Distributed Energy Systems, Inc (NASDAQ:DESC) recently- one of the "3 Stocks On Fire", and sold last week by the porfolio managers of that group.
I reduced slightly at $7.00. I bought into DESC on weakness between September '04 at $2.12  and April, 2005 at the outrageous price of $4.99...
I think DESC is a Hold and it is addable to on weakness.
7) Initiate China Energy Savings Technology (NASDAQ:CESV) How does investing in this Chinese energy solutions company relate to U.S. energy legislation?
It relates because of sector interest in energy efficiency. We understand nvestments abroad better if they relate to our policies at home.
8) Add ENER. This company's pioneering work in ovonics ( please see ENER website for explanation)  should have won its founders the Nobel Prize. As an equity, it's run up a bit, but will still Outperform.
9) Consider HYGS. it's been mentioned at least once on this board. Strong synergies between Stewart Energy division and Hydrogenics.
10) Strategize: plan to add Golar LNG Transport (NASDAQ:GLNG, OSE:GOL.OL) if it passes $15/shr. in Winter, '05/'06. GLNG is a pure play in LNG maritime transport. Otherwise- avoid this equity unless you are prepared to wait for the U.S. to build the necessary intrastructure of LNG degassification terminals, either at any of the 30 proposed sites, or off-shore, with a technology which is unlikely to be fullt realized until the beginnnig of 2008.

Those are my thoughts, cumulina.
All the best,
                          -rand



starfire

Rand, I think u missed out a biggie, DSTI, Daystar TEchnologies. Check ouit their website for a description of their technology.

eliteG

randstory   :) thx for the write up you did (applaud).. good stuff

cumulina - thx for bringing up this topic..important stuff, imo (applaud)

randstory

 Hi, Starfire!

Since it's Sunday morning, I'll make this a confessional post-
I actually LOST money on a DSTI trade this year, trading out of imy initial position in
DST @$2.50 from my buy @$2.85...

The advice I took was purely technically oriented.
And the person who talked me out of the position then bought in and rode it up into the 7's.

I haven't looked at DSTI subsequently.
I've been inclined just to add to DESC- I liked its revenue stream and synergy with Northern Power.
Any thoughts on DSTI here?
Regards,
                   -rand

PS- Mentioned CESV in my post. i just did a chart and linnk up on CESV ion the Yahoo!Finance KYO msg. board.
                            -r.

starfire

Randy,
Apparently they have an exclusive technology, solar cells from lightfoil ( an alloy). Visit their website and read about the technology. DSTI is now trading around $14. I heard GTE will be using their lightfoils on the stratellites! And you must be aware that the Defense is very interested in Stratellite technology, not only from a communication perspective but also from a homeland security, surveilance angle. Almost all well known industry analysts have given DSTI a long term buy rating. Even Cramer has covered it on Mad Money! DSTI's technology is patented. They plan on licensing the MFG technology to others as they see a capacity shortage for demand. In addition there is a capacity shortage for solar cells manufactured from Silicon; silicon is in short supply!!

Finally they have a low float. So it seems to be a good buy, even at $14. JMO

cumulina

Randstory, thank you for your long and well thought out reply.

It seems like we have invested in very similar companies  :D

As of today I have some oil (not mouch) and the rest more or less alternative energy.

The list is short, but sweet:

ALTI, NGAS, ENER, ESLR, SOSA (I sold FCEL to get SOSA  ::) but I'll buy it back later) , SU, SYNM AND WWAT.

I'd love to spread out more, but in order for the brokers fee to be less than the purchase price of the stocks, right now these are the ones I have...

About DSTI: i had it, I recommended it - and then got tired of it JUST before it went ballistic! Great however, that others ware able to take advantage of it. Right now I think it needs to fall back a bit.

I agree with you in your picks: SSL, BRG, (LNG will be huge in the future) DESC, HYGS, (and what do you think of MCEL?) GLNG.

Right now my biggest concern is ESLR, coming out with (hopefully good) news tomorrow.

Thank you again for your fine post.

Cheers.

Happy trading...

:)

Cumulina.

randstory

 Hi,cumulina-

Thanks for your thoughtful reply!
I've been doing research today on a group of Chinese stocks- all AMEX or Nasdaq listed-
which are very briefly described in the following Yahoo!Finance post:
http://finance.messages.yahoo.com/bbs?.mm=FN&action=m&board=1609752963&tid=sva&sid=1609752963&mid=2283

Of this group- for timeliness- I like CESV the best at the moment, it's earnings should improve
in the last quarter of its fiscal year, ending 9-30-05, and be very good for next year.
I think August will be a good month for CESV, NWD, and JST, in the same way that June was a great month for SVA, and July was very good for AOB, and for AXJ.
Again- CESV, NWD and JST.
BTW- still long 92% of my L-T position in DESC

What does all this above have to do with the energy bill?
Nothing really much- so apologies may be in order for this post.
It was a question of- start a new thread, or topic, or stay with the energy bill topic, and write in reponse to the people who have posted on it.

Right now-meaning today- the Chinese equities represent my best idea for the next six months- not because they are the best individual choices, but simply because this sector, which does have its own problems, has high growth in earnings going for it.

The market may be ready to "discover" or "rediscover" China before the end of 2005, not as a export-driven economy play, but for what its larger potential is - as the largest potential consumer economy...

Signing off, cumulina.
Back to applaud your last post, and read more ...

All the best,
                          -rand