3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

News:

Welcome to 3StocksOnFire! US stock trading community (2005-2010) with 451+ documented trades and 15,000+ members. View Portfolios | Stock Articles | Quotes

Main Menu

momemtum study

Started by shawFund, September 05, 2005, 04:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawFund

Here I intend to give a study on the momentum play.

I would like to scan all the stocks from daily data and try to find out the stocks with the
following features:

1. it is one of the biggest gainers of the day;
2. it is closed near the high;
3. volume > 5x normal, and > 0.5mil
4. it breaks out either from flat base or from important resistance
5. it is the first day move

I would like to see the chance of follow through move.

That is, if we buy at the openings in the second day, what will be the chance it will
continue its up move.






shawFund

September 2:

Momentum play picks (9):

    tick   gain(%)         sector                   news              vol  (mil)            reason

1. FNSR  28.57   tech: networking   good profit project     16(8x)        gap up, break $1.13

2. NWRE 26.97  tech: networking    sales outlook            3.0(25x)      gap up, year high

3. ASTT  26.79  tech: semi equip           none                0.475(7x)     break out flat base

4. POCC  23.21     material sales             none                 1.0 (8x)       break out

5. TGC    21.43           oil                      none                 1.3 (12x)      almost break out

6. BPUR  19.46        biotech                  none                 0.95 (5x)      break out $1.60

7. CNLG  19.66    tech: electronics          none                  1.1 (8x)       break out $2.0

8. CHRZ   17.5     tech:IT                  merger rejected       1.2 (8x)       break out from base   

9. HEC     11.90        oil                          none                 6.8 (6x)       break out $0.68 resistance

cumulina

 :o :o :o

Now THAT looks like a winning strategy!

Did you not have any loosers at all?

Congratulations.
Happy trading...

:)

Cumulina.

Michael

Cumulina,

This is like getting the Lotto numbers right the day after they have been published  ;D

When that is said I think it is a very interesting list and approach.

Shawfund - If it is not too much work it would be fantastic to have a list like this from time to time. I am pretty sure that there is a least one winner everyday in this list if not more!

The Knobias report has a similar list to get inspiration from.

Mike
Michael Bang Koenig
www.3stocksonfire.org


      Join our Message Board.

shawFund

Hi,

1. I will try do do a one month (4 weeks) study if time allowed.

2. I will try to publish one list per day during this one month period.

2. Each list will have a maximum number of 10 picks.
    It could be less if no enough stocks meet the 5 conditions I gave in my previous post.

3. The picks are limited to NYSE, AMEX, and NASDAQ stocks. Because I do not have 
    available historical data for OB stocks, no picks from OB stocks for this study.

3. I will publish the performance of all the stocks in previous picks.

   The performance will be "one day performance", "one week performance" and
"one month performance";

4. At the end of the study, I will give a statistics analysis and may design some trading strategy based on the findings.

The purpose of the study is to try to identify early moves and maximize the profit.

VPHM, for example, made its first move on May 2, 2005.

It went up from $1.67 -> $2.16 on that day and breaks out the short term resistance of $2.05.

In the following moves, it breaks an important resistance of $3.00 and the stock never looked back since then.

If we can identify the early move and took a position, the investment return will be much bigger.








yuyjust

have to give you applause for this one......... great study and keep up good work, and I'm looking forward to see how these stocks perform ...

Amarens

Same for me. Keep up the good work.

Amarens

nberski

Hmmmmm...

Very interesting -  looks like a valuable study.

Thank you for your work.
Your other cousin,
Jethro

shawFund

Here is the performance table from September 02 picks.

Please be noticed tht POCC has been deleted from the list because I made wrong selection
(its closing price of $0.69 on Sept 02 is well off of its high $0.79).

News from the picks:

1. BPUR: CTO, co-founder resigned
2. HEC: 2 mill share buy back copmpleted.



Today's picks will be listed later today after all data become available.


nberski

Hello:

Looking at the first 15 minute candle of today - of each stock - is telling the directiion of the day in almost all of the stocks.  7 of 8 ?

I like this kind of new art -

Thank you for your work.
Your other cousin,
Jethro

shawFund

Picks today. I could not find many. If any one of you has any candidate, please let me know and I can add it.




shawFund

The calculation of percentage gain for today is based on today's open and today's close.

Observation One:

If there is a big gap up at the opening, better wait for at least half hour before put any money in it.

BPUR is an example. Also, it released a bad news today. Both resulted in the price decline.
But it is still higher than previous resistance level (support level now) - $1.60.

shawFund

One of my picks has been picked up by David tonight.

I picked it one day earlier than him.

It opened today at $14.00 and closed at $14.84, after hours is $15.10.

The reason of the pick: good earning projection.

So, if the gain is due to fundamental reasons, it has better chance to continue the run.


Michael

Shawfund,

Great work here! Applauds and a big (on the cheek!)

Wondering if David found NWRE here!
Michael Bang Koenig
www.3stocksonfire.org


      Join our Message Board.

shawFund

Performance of yesterday's picks:



It is normal to have a pull back after big gis from two penny stocks.

Let us find out what they will perform in the following days.

Today's picks will be given later.