3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

The Rules of the Contest

Started by Ramsburg, October 28, 2005, 01:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calven

#30
Hey I was wondering how it is possible to have my pick be up 2% today yet my total gain/loss is 0%?

   
calven   UBET   5.80    +2.11%     5.80      0.00%



The same thing for "eliteg" . ERI was up 2% today yet his total shows  -10%???
StockGravity.com - The Forces that Move Stocks!
http://www.stockgravity.com

Ramsburg

Quote from: calven on November 07, 2005, 10:49:26 PM
Hey I was wondering how it is possible to have my pick be up 2% today yet my total gain/loss is 0%?

   
calven   UBET   5.80    +2.11%     5.80      0.00%

Hi Calven,

Your buy price (and for the rest of the players) was the opening price for the day, which in this case was: $5.80
UBET openned on the high of the day, rising +2.11%, and closed at the same price.

I hope this answer your question.

best regards ;)

Frederick Ramsburg
www.3stocksonfire.org

Try our Premium Service or just Register a FREE Account

calven

How does it both open and close at 5.80 yet move up 2%? lol

Im more concerned for eliteg... :( same thing happened to him
StockGravity.com - The Forces that Move Stocks!
http://www.stockgravity.com

dwest718

The move in percentage is from previous close.  My stock was another that jumped at open and traded down but still finished up 1% from Friday's close.  I'm down 1.5% for the competition because it was down 1.5% from open.

Ramsburg

Quote from: calven on November 07, 2005, 11:02:37 PM
How does it both open and close at 5.80 yet move up 2%? lol

Im more concerned for eliteg... :( same thing happened to him

Friday's close was $5.68, so at $5.80 it was moving 2% ;)
Frederick Ramsburg
www.3stocksonfire.org

Try our Premium Service or just Register a FREE Account

Terliso

#35
I think Calven is confused already.....

(Here Calven follow this:)

1) UBET previous closed @ 5.68 (11-05-05)
2) UBET open today @ 5.80 (11-07-05)
3) UBET you bought it today at opening @ 5.80
5) 5.80 bought & 5.80 closed = you got 0%
4) 5.68 to 5.80 = the stock UBET got 2.11% not you.

is it clear now Calven?  ;)

Terliso

#36
Mathematics is sometimes confusing .... I hate math!! but we need it so bad to calculate our gain in stock world  ;) :D :D

setravis

The Leader after day 1. 8)

*****************************AussieTrader**************************

You Go Aussie :o
"Success loves to hide behind challenges.
Embrace the challenge, enjoy the journey."

Do your own DD and invest based on your DD, not mine !

Semper Fi
S.E.Travis

eliteG

Quote from: calven on November 07, 2005, 11:02:37 PM
How does it both open and close at 5.80 yet move up 2%? lol

Im more concerned for eliteg... :( same thing happened to him

thx for the concern calven  ;)

I knew I was in for trouble when the stock gapped up over 10% @ open  :D but the cool thing is this is a month long contest and I chose a very volatile stock on purpose... we shall see.  8)

AussieTrader

LOL thanks Setravis, thing is I have sprinted real fast on day 1, but forgotten that it is a 4 week race, so my stamina will be under severe test very soon :D

I have a feeling Mr SVA and Mr SMTX may be shaping up for a run at the 1st place crown very soon.
AussieTrader
www.3stocksonfire.org

Try our Premium Service or just Register a FREE Account

Lucas Scott

QuoteI have a feeling Mr SVA and Mr SMTX may be shaping up for a run at the 1st place crown very soon.

Maybe Mr. SVA, but Mr. SMTX is DOA ;D
GO IN THAT HOUSE OF PAIN THAT YOU SEEM TO WANT TO BE IN, BUT GET AWAY FROM ME.  I'M TRYING TO WORK, DAMMIT.

vic666

lol...thanks. I'm Mr. SVA (not bragging, but feels good to be in 1st place amongst such an elite group!!!).

but you know what, with the rules for this "beta-version" being what it is now, i.e. strictly starting with the price on No.v 4 and the final closing price on Dec. 5, this contest has become more of a "game of chance" than that os skill...becuase as someone pointed out earlier, if say someon'ew pick had a 150% gain in 8 days and he/she decides to close the trade...you only gotta count that gain...instead of waiting for the rest of the 3 weeks to end (in which time the stock might end up -150% !!)

the contest's gotta be purely a game of skill...hopefully the administrators will implement it in the future versions.

As for SVA...I've not been holding it but rather trading it...even though it's been my own pick. but the gains so far from trading have been very decent to me. The high of $7.92 will soon be tested...I just hopes it coincides with the contest closing date of Dec. 5  ;) so I could bag the purse!  ;D

good luck to all traders out there.
Long term investments are short-term investments that have gone wrong.

Ramsburg


I think the next edition of the contest will allow you to sell you position, I'm thinking in some kind of rule like «You have to insert your selling post and the selling price will be the next open» probably with some time limitation, like you must insert your order at least 1 hour before the open.

But I have to work arround the contest script a bit... hhehehh... I'm not a professional coder, and this kind of works are much more difficult to me than trading the markets ;-)

I´ll have some news about the second edition this week.

regards.
Frederick Ramsburg
www.3stocksonfire.org

Try our Premium Service or just Register a FREE Account

Ramsburg

Frederick Ramsburg
www.3stocksonfire.org

Try our Premium Service or just Register a FREE Account

Lucas Scott

I'm glad you guys are splitting up the prize this time instead of winner take all. Though you'll get no complaints from me about the winner take all format in the first edition! ;D

One small suggestion I have would be for the contest to end at the closing price on the last day rather than the opening price of the following day. Seems like opening prices are subject to some manipulation. It wasn't an issue in the first round because of the margin of victory but, if the margin is only a percentage point or two, the outcome could be manipulated by a small and seemingly irrelevant gap up or down at the next open.   
GO IN THAT HOUSE OF PAIN THAT YOU SEEM TO WANT TO BE IN, BUT GET AWAY FROM ME.  I'M TRYING TO WORK, DAMMIT.