3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

GOOG - Sector: Technology - Industry: Computer Services

Started by calven, June 08, 2005, 03:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calven

GOOG

Is it getting close to being a short candidate? I have been wanting to short this pig for months now but thankfully havent pulled the trigger...was wondering your opinoun.
StockGravity.com - The Forces that Move Stocks!
http://www.stockgravity.com

stocky

I am looking to take position in this one on Monday.

Check out the chart.

stocky

And I expect some wild movements before and after the earnings on Thursday. So need to buckle seat belts :)

stocky

#3
Though the chart looks good and I am fundamentally positive about GOOG but I will wait for the earnings before starting any position. This may not give me the best price but it will give me better decision making position. So :) I am holding my buying triggers till Thursday.

However, if GOOG loses some weight before earning I may jump in. I'll post my entry here, right after my buy.

Also there may be opportunity in BIDU, so I have to wait and see how things develop.

VikingFan

GOOG broke out to a new high yesterday, and then Ebay blew out earnings and is up almost 20% premarket.  If GOOG earnings are good, they will fly.  If GOOG disappoints, there are lots of shorts (and put-holders) to provide bids to ensure the drop won't be too severe.

I wouldn't want to be short GOOG after Ebay's earnings and ahead of GOOG's, and there are lots of shorts in GOOG.

ehos

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=GOOG&t=5d

Yeah yeah, we all know about it.  But seriuosly, everyone should have at least ONE share of this in their portfolio. Now is a good time to buy.

Why do I say just one share?  They are taking the Berkshire approach.  NO SPLITS.  This could be a 85,000/share stock in 10-15 years.  Seriously.

I'm buying one tomorrow.  Just one single little share :)

Sorry for making such an obvious, boring pick.  But seriously, it was oversold for no reason.  It might go down a bit more, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Buy and forget. 

Is there anyway I can get them to send me the one share?  (Ie in paper form??)


ehos

#6
Let me clarify!

My reccomendation is ONE share, don't go crazy and dump all your money in this. 

I actually think that it will come DOWN QUITE A BITt (maybe to around 250?), but I don't really care.  I'll probably buy around 295-300 anyways.

Also, to hear a contrarian advice

http://www.fuckedgoogle.com/

:)  Gotta give both sides DD right?


stocky

#7
When I first recommended GOOG here I had same reasoning and some more

http://www.3stocksonfire.org/trading/index.php?topic=1598.msg9922#msg9922

But I retracted due to the risk in Earnings and recommended to start a position after earnings. I have turned somewhat bearish on the market in general, due to overly bullish sentiment, OIL and general summer slowdown in trading. So will wait a bit, but if I ever buy I will buy full position.

Another reason for me to put GOOG on hold was 'hold' rec. by Legg Mason. And I think these guys knows more about GOOG then probably any one else on Wall St. So bascially holding GOOG and some other trades. May day trade and keep positiongs nibble.

Though GOOG could be a 1000$ stock in next 365 days. ;)  Goodluck if you already own it.

VikingFan

I think GOOG could be setting up nicely for another leg up soon.  The short-term GOOG buyers for earnings sold Friday or after hours on Thursday on the incorrect headlines saying they missed EPS by 2 cents (they actually beat by .14). GOOG shares are in much stronger hands now. Many shorts didn't cover, expecting more of a drop  Most major brokers upped their EPS estimates and price targets, with Prudentia leading the way byl upping from $284 to $400.  They'll probably be getting their clients in on this pullback.  Institutions that haven't owned GOOG up to now will be buying the pullback. This combination, along with new Barron's shorts from this weekend's article saying they remain skeptical, creates a perfect formula for a short squeeze, especially if the 300 area holds and they get added to the S&P 500 soon, forcing S&P 500 Index funds to buy it.

There are lots of novice shorters that short GOOG only because the price is over 300. If they had 10 x the shares at a $30 price, they'd be long, even though the valuation would be exactly the same. 

GOOG is cheap compared to other internet stocks, especially considering their past performance, enormous growth and premier status.  GOOG is trading at a forward PE of under 40 and is the premier internet stock with amazing growth and a (brief) history of blowing away #'s every quarter. Analysts keep having to up their estimates and target prices.  I wouldn't want to bet against it continuing this performance, especially with all their new products coming out.

I'll continue to hold some core GOOG shares and will be buying September in-the-money calls on further weakness and selling August out-of-the-money calls on strength against the Septembers to create a calendar spread -- kind of like writing covered calls against my calls.  This strategy allows me to participate in GOOG's upside but not risk as much to the downside if it ever gets clobbered, and also requires far less capital outlay.

kuepper

Fundamentally, it still has one problem: It only has one significant revenue stream. All of its peers are more diversified, but Google gets a VAST majority of it's earnings from one source - online advertising. I still like it long-term because they are an innovative company, they just need to come up with something aside from their current cash cow.

dhiraj19

Guys,
I wanted to ask everyone here why we havent picked google ( GOOG) in 3SOF? Its rising everyday now going to 380 - 400... For last 3 months it remained between 290 - 320 as people were not able to judge the future guidance. But results blew the predictions and since then its going north.

David if you could comment, that'll be great.

- dhiraj

REALDEALS21

GOOG is running up without me !!!  :-[ :-[

David Randolph

GOOG has a market cap larger than Coca-Cola, larger than McDonalds (3 times larger  :o). Even if GOOG could be more valuable than MSFT or Citigroup, that would mean just a 100% rise from current levels.

Unless Google will own the World I don't see all that much potential in the stock, it is too big.

Good luck !


dhiraj19

What about short term trading ( Buy and then sell with 20% growth)....

First of all thanks for your reply. I needed it so badly.....( Everyone thinks it to be very big because of stock price) but I think they are in market which is exploding faster than any company can maintain growth in it.

- Dhiraj

dhiraj19

its 390 and today they were saying market will be down...

- Dhiraj