3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

News:

Welcome to 3StocksOnFire! US stock trading community (2005-2010) with 451+ documented trades and 15,000+ members. View Portfolios | Stock Articles | Quotes

Main Menu

DSTI

Started by David Randolph, June 09, 2005, 02:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calguy

I made a killing off DSTI from 10.50 and sold at 14.75.
Back in now at $14 and I'm pretty sure there will be another spike to $16 at some point in the future. If not, this area seems like a pretty lolw risk area to hold.

KCScott

DSTI up 5% this AM.

Was oversold and should run up this week ahead of their earnings announcement.

May be a good time to jump back on the short term train
Those that think money can't buy happiness, don't know where to shop

KCScott

Closed up 10.76% for the day - great momentum for the rest of the week as it leads into it's 10Q release on Monday.

There really is a perfect storm brewing for this stock: oversold condition, the Energy Bill Signing, and now a short squeeze (28% of float as of July 12) as they lead into earnings.

I'll watch the momentum and as it reaches a crescendo and sell by close Friday.
Those that think money can't buy happiness, don't know where to shop

cumulina

Lots of alternative energy stocks did great today.

I'd love to buy DSTI again, couldn't get in today, though.

I'd also be a bit wurried about holding over next week...

I'll hope for a dip later, I think.  ;)

Cheers.

Happy trading...

:)

Cumulina.

KCScott

Quote from: cumulina on August 08, 2005, 05:25:10 PM
Lots of alternative energy stocks did great today.

I'd also be a bit wurried about holding over next week...



As would I, hence my plan to sell by Friday.

Based on today's action I'm thinking a good sell target is around $16.30 though the action may dictate otherwise.

I'll be back in when the action settles, as I believe this company has great long term potential
Those that think money can't buy happiness, don't know where to shop

cumulina

Happy trading...

:)

Cumulina.

cumulina

I bought in at 13.60 this morning, and it's already over 14.-
Nice!
Happy trading...

:)

Cumulina.

cumulina

It's DSTI-time again!  ;) I bought back in at 10.13 today.

Today's news:

DayStar Technologies Honored With Frost & Sullivan`s 2005 Technology Innovation of the Year Award

October 25, 2005 08:31:31 (ET)


HALFMOON, N.Y., Oct 25, 2005 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- DayStar Technologies, Inc. (DSTI, Trade), a developer and manufacturer of proprietary high performance photovoltaic (PV) products, announced today that Frost & Sullivan has selected the Company as the recipient of its 2005 Technology Innovation of the Year Award. The Award recognizes DayStar's significant contributions toward the commercialization of CIGS (copper-indium-gallium-diselenide) photovoltaic cells.

"We are honored to be recognized for our innovative development and contributions to the photovoltaic market," said Dr. John Tuttle, President and CEO of DayStar Technologies. "This Award further validates our technical achievements and ongoing dedication to reach gigawatt scale production of Photovoltaic Foil(TM) and deliver on the promise of pervasive solar energy."

Frost & Sullivan has recognized DayStar for its pioneering efforts toward new research resulting in innovations that have or are expected to bring significant contributions to the industry in terms of adoption, change and competitive posture.

"DayStar's innovative approach has the potential to meet the three primary desired attributes of solar cell technology: performance/reliability, form-factor (flexible/durable/lightweight) and cost. Many other solar cell technologies meet only one or two attributes," said Frost & Sullivan Research Analyst Viswanathan Krishnan. The Award will be presented at the Frost & Sullivan 2005 Best Practices Awards Banquet on Wednesday, November 9, 2005 in Miami, Florida.
Happy trading...

:)

Cumulina.

cumulina

For long - time - investing I can't reccommend DSTI!

But for the active trader, there are many good reasons to keep it on the watchlist.

DSTI is at it AGAIN!  :D
Happy trading...

:)

Cumulina.

cumulina

The topic title "A real mover" still applies to DSTI, but now it is DOWN big time!
This have in the past been a momentum-stock, and is on many watchlists. Any movement (like today's) could send it up.

So today I went "bottom-fishing".  >:D Bought at 3.69  >:D

I don't expect DSTI to reach former hights right away, it's having some real problems. (Something with money, loan or something-or-other... Hopefully one of you bright minds on this board will try and check it out for me!)
But I do see the company trying to fight it, and I have for a long time been interested in solar-energy.

From http://smallcap.seekingalpha.com/article/22495 I got this:

DayStar Technologies: A Rock Bottom Stock That Will Bounce Back

Posted on Dec 15th, 2006 with stocks: DSTI

Rick Dean submits: DayStar Technologies (DSTI) is an emerging developer and manufacturer of low cost, high efficiency thin film solar cell products that convert sunlight into electricity. The firm manufactures thin film solar cells which are attached to metal foil using a process originally developed for manufacturing computers. DayStar's products are marketed as an alternative to conventional silicon wafer cells. The company claims its proprietary manufacturing process will lower production costs and make large-scale deployment of solar energy feasible.

DayStar has a producing factory and its now shipping solar cells to customers. According to a recent press release, the company recently retooled its manufacturing process and increased efficiency by 60 percent. About 1700 Gen II solar cells are being produced per week.

DayStar has completed buildout of a new facility where 15 engineers and technicians are working on the initial design of a new Gen III product line. Once financing is in place, the firm estimates the Gen III product will begin shipping in one year.

DayStar has established a number of strategic alliances. Among these is a $1 million funding grant from the U.S. government for a project to research "Lighter Than Air Vehicle" applications.

Last month, the company hired Stephan DeLuca to replace DayStar founder John Tuttle as CEO. Tuttle will reportedly continue as chairman.

Blazing trails into the future is a costly proposition and DayStar needs cash to advance its agenda. Cash burn accelerated during the last quarter as capital expenditures rose to pay for ramping up its manufacturing operation. In addition, a steep decline in DayStar's stock price has forced the firm to escrow $3 million to satisfy lender terms.

Of course, DayStar's deflated stock price is the reason why DSTI turned up in one of my "rock bottom" screens. The stock hit a 52-week low of 4.67 on Wednesday. The stock had traded at a 52-week high of $15.75 in February. The 50-day moving average is 6.07 and the 200-dma is 9.10. DSTI closed yesterday at 4.69.

Last month, DayStar announced plans to put its financial house in order. Cost cutting measures are being implemented and the firm has hired Tejas Securities Group as a financial advisor to explore funding opportunities and other strategic alternatives.

Before the market opened Thursday, I reported that the technical indicators I follow suggest DSTI has hit rock bottom or is close to it. Two of three indicators that were sharply declining had leveled off, and the third was a few days shy of reversing into an uptrend. I also reported that I did not own this stock, but if I saw evidence of a confirmed bottom in the next day or two, I would likely "go fishing" and try to snag some shares at or near $4.58.

When the market opened Thursday, trading in DSTI was choppy and I began to see signs of a double bottom forming. This would set the stage for another down day. I lowered my buy target to $4.26 and decided to go fishing. The stock hit a new 52-week low of $4.25. My order filled at $4.26, a penny above the low. Which means, in the interest of full disclosure, I am now long in DSTI.

With rock bottom stocks, a confirmed bottom will typically be followed by a bounce. This is even more likely with double bottoms, and I expect DSTI will behave accordingly. The classic swing trade is buy on a dip, sell on a spike, and bank the profit. But as I reported earlier, I may hold DSTI a while, as I think it could rebound back above its 200-day moving average by spring or summer, provided, of course, that the company secures additional funding.

I like solar -- or, rather, I like the idea of what it could become over time. Cheap oil is a thing of the past, and that fact makes development of alternative energies not only more commercially viable but a must, unless industrialized nations are planning to revert to horse and buggy travel and candlelight. The fact that pro-green Dems will take control of Congress next month should also bolster the prospects of solar energy and various other alternatives to the world's finite supply of fossil fuel.
Happy trading...

:)

Cumulina.

cumulina

Doing just fine.... :D
Happy trading...

:)

Cumulina.

lancefur

Is this stock in the same category as ESLR? I see this thing tanking all the time and wondering when a good time would be to start seriously looking at this stock? Where is the bottom on this thing? I can't see much good about it but I remember making great money on this early last year on 2 separate occassions and would love to again soon. Any ideas?
Live hard, love harder and be happy.
Have a Super-Fantastic Day!

cumulina

lancefur: Do you have some kind of magic fingers???

DSTI is up 18-20% this morning!

;D >:D ;D
Happy trading...

:)

Cumulina.

kslifka

Quote from: lancefur on January 10, 2007, 04:04:40 PM
Is this stock in the same category as ESLR? I see this thing tanking all the time and wondering when a good time would be to start seriously looking at this stock? Where is the bottom on this thing? I can't see much good about it but I remember making great money on this early last year on 2 separate occassions and would love to again soon. Any ideas?

Nice catch Lancefur.  I thought less was a falling knife when I saw your post yesterday.  However with yesterday's candle it looked like it was ready for a rebound...but up 50% wow.... :o

lancefur

I had been watching this one since last year waiting and waiting. Call it a gamble but I invested $10k yesterday. Guess who's happy today? Wish I would have had more to invest but most of it is tied in the 3SOF portfolio. I didn't see it falling much farther despite all the dumpers on yahoo.
Live hard, love harder and be happy.
Have a Super-Fantastic Day!