3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

News:

Welcome to 3StocksOnFire! US stock trading community (2005-2010) with 451+ documented trades and 15,000+ members. View Portfolios | Stock Articles | Quotes

Main Menu

SYX

Started by David Randolph, November 27, 2006, 06:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Randolph

SYX results were fantastic, double of what even I expected:

Systemax Reports All-Time Record Results for Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2007; Announces Special $1.00 Per Share Dividend
Business Wire(Mon 4:02pm)

Another $1 per share dividend, showing SYX's cash is for real (not that I doubted it).

There were some special effects juicing the 4th quarter (like a lower effective tax rate), but still, results were really outstanding.

I was going to sell SYX today on the higher opening (SYX is opening up more than 30%), but considering what I've done with SILC, for example, and the ex-dividend date is just 10 days or so away, I'll hold SYX a few more days.

It's really a shame that I'm almost obligated to sell SYX despite the great fundamentals, because after what happened with MALL ... it's clear that investors see these electronic retail businesses losing money in the future and they may very well be right, who knows how deep the US economic recession will be in terms of consumer spending?

For now I'll hold SYX, I think it will be possible to sell it at the 50 days SMA, currently at $14.12 (if it goes there today, the instruction is to sell. If not, just hold a few more days).

realcoolhead

David, is there a plan to buy PAL back now that it closed the gap at $6.76? Sorry to ask here since I could not find PAL thread...

realcoolhead

Never mind, I just saw your email ...

Quote from: realcoolhead on March 11, 2008, 09:46:25 AM
David, is there a plan to buy PAL back now that it closed the gap at $6.76? Sorry to ask here since I could not find PAL thread...

dnickers

Quote from: David Randolph on March 11, 2008, 09:08:50 AM
SYX results were fantastic, double of what even I expected.

...

It's really a shame that I'm almost obligated to sell SYX despite the great fundamentals, because after what happened with MALL ... it's clear that investors see these electronic retail businesses losing money in the future and they may very well be right, who knows how deep the US economic recession will be in terms of consumer spending?


While it is clear that PPS is more about how investors see the future of a business , I believe that even in a recession, online retailers will be strong...at least more so than retailers who have to pay rent at mall or on some property.  Those are the retail companies that are going to fold first, and if anything, when they do close up shop people will have to do their shopping online. 

Personally, I've been buying more and more online.  Shoes, electronics, clothes...why go to crowded malls when you can just do it from home?

David Randolph

Quote from: realcoolhead on March 11, 2008, 09:46:25 AM
David, is there a plan to buy PAL back now that it closed the gap at $6.76? Sorry to ask here since I could not find PAL thread...

Hi realcoolhead, PAL's thread is at the Watch List message board. I missed recommending the stock at the ideal level. Now I'll wait for the 4th quarter results (which I think will show an ugly loss) and maybe get a second chance of buying at support (or not at all, depending on the information).

QuoteWhile it is clear that PPS is more about how investors see the future of a business , I believe that even in a recession, online retailers will be strong...at least more so than retailers who have to pay rent at mall or on some property.  Those are the retail companies that are going to fold first, and if anything, when they do close up shop people will have to do their shopping online.

Personally, I've been buying more and more online.  Shoes, electronics, clothes...why go to crowded malls when you can just do it from home?

Absolutely dnickers, I fully agree with you. This is why it's so hard to understand this sector's dirty cheap valuations. I'm unsure if this is good (stocks are cheap, so they'll go up) or bad (stocks are cheap, very nasty results coming). I feel very embarrassed due to not knowing this ... one of the things I've learned recently is that "cheap" can be very different, almost opposite of "it will go higher".

As Buffet says, "if the secret to above average returns were knowing how to divide two numbers ..." ... but in fact this is what he does, the only difference being that he buys somewhat mature companies, with 50 years or more of existence and a bigger size. He achieves his above average results by taking the less risk possible when investing in stocks, like buying GE or Coca-Cola at 8 times earnings, for example.

I had a lot more to say, but there are just 5 minutes to go before the open.

SYX's ex-dividend date is March 17, that is, next Monday and I don't think the stock will fall before that dividend.

The plan is: SELL SYX around the 50 days SMA, which today will be standing at $13.71.

BigSully1

SYX looks ready to pop. I've still got my cheap shares

BigSully1

BIG day for MALL

BigSully1

SYX popped, but MALL exploded!

soxguy

I just walked in the house! Glad I kept buying down to $9.10. And I'm glad I held on. Congrats to all who persevered. I hope there's more.

kslifka

Quote from: BigSully1 on March 20, 2008, 04:20:29 PM
SYX popped, but MALL exploded!

VVTV another stock in the same space exploded at the end of the day too. :o   Seems like we are seeing some sector rotation here.

la-onda

 >:D

pinoleropuro

per the trend this is what I got can happen with 1k shares, this is from a trending site.

Also if you see the second picture I put up institutional money has been going in to this company for the past 8 sessions.
Stochastics started pointing up again!
I don't own this one but it sure looks ready for purchase. jmho.


soxguy


soxguy


soxguy

Here comes syx again on the outside.