3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

Session of 03/15/2007

Started by David Randolph, March 15, 2007, 09:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Besides CHINA, which two stocks to cover today?

CSH
1 (7.7%)
FSLR
3 (23.1%)
SFE
1 (7.7%)
SLP
1 (7.7%)
OFI
4 (30.8%)
XING
5 (38.5%)
LEND
1 (7.7%)
PCU
0 (0%)
SLV
1 (7.7%)
EEM
0 (0%)
FXI
2 (15.4%)
CHL
2 (15.4%)
FMCN
1 (7.7%)
HMIN
1 (7.7%)
HOKU
2 (15.4%)
SOLF
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

rickjust

Quote from: prodigykid6 on March 15, 2007, 02:20:16 PM




tried to short lend just now at scottrade . no` shares available .
maxi

I also tried putting short orders at 11.30  all morning long 'cause I sensed the gap was to be closed but couldn't find shares available at scottrade,etrade,zecco......that sucks..

[/quote]

i dont know if this is true but i heard brokers like scottrade will buy stock to sell short...so maybe that was the rally we were seeing...just a guess....i know i've called scottrade to short a stock that i couldn't online...give that a shot it worked for me
[/quote]

i am in australia right now and it is 530am so i will let it pass .
and i had a great entry at 1045 so i will eave it for now .
thanks for the tip on scottrade though
maxi

mbaugh

David, in regards to ASTI, do you think we have to wait out for the consoldation phase, I bought today at 8.86 and damn I hate being down already, same thing happened with my order on CIMT, the only difference is it seems ASTI is falling faster.  With ASTI having such a low market cap I was hoping it would rise to at least $100 million market cap before pulling back some.

David Randolph

CHINA analysis:



The conclusion is the same I had when I sold the stock, CHINA will at best have an average long term performance in my view.

tokyopua

Quote from: mbaugh on March 15, 2007, 02:30:43 PM
David, in regards to ASTI, do you think we have to wait out for the consoldation phase, I bought today at 8.86 and damn I hate being down already, same thing happened with my order on CIMT, the only difference is it seems ASTI is falling faster.  With ASTI having such a low market cap I was hoping it would rise to at least $100 million market cap before pulling back some.

I am curious about this play too.  I dipped a toe in the water on this one too at 8.95, though not a big position as I was worried about the 10ema being so far behind.  I guess what I am curious about is if you could elaborate on maybe other examples you have seen where a large company buys a stake in a small company and it was really positive, as that seemed to really excite you yesterday.
Chance favors the prepared mind

David Randolph

Quote from: mbaugh on March 15, 2007, 02:30:43 PM
David, in regards to ASTI, do you think we have to wait out for the consoldation phase, I bought today at 8.86 and damn I hate being down already, same thing happened with my order on CIMT, the only difference is it seems ASTI is falling faster.  With ASTI having such a low market cap I was hoping it would rise to at least $100 million market cap before pulling back some.

You should focus on the long term motives to buy/hold the stock. If you want to discuss fundamental long term estimates I'm all for it, but save me from thinking about 5% up or down moves in small caps, because those movements are unpredictable and their analysis is useless.

Thank you :) 

David Randolph

QuoteI am curious about this play too.  I dipped a toe in the water on this one too at 8.95, though not a big position as I was worried about the 10ema being so far behind.  I guess what I am curious about is if you could elaborate on maybe other examples you have seen where a large company buys a stake in a small company and it was really positive, as that seemed to really excite you yesterday.

Good question Tokyo, you know there's a proper thread when all questions are answered everyday, right?

yukiii

David take a look at WPCS

Thanks

tokyopua

Quote from: David Randolph on March 15, 2007, 02:52:06 PM
QuoteI am curious about this play too.  I dipped a toe in the water on this one too at 8.95, though not a big position as I was worried about the 10ema being so far behind.  I guess what I am curious about is if you could elaborate on maybe other examples you have seen where a large company buys a stake in a small company and it was really positive, as that seemed to really excite you yesterday.

Good question Tokyo, you know there's a proper thread when all questions are answered everyday, right?

Im usually pretty good about posting in the right threads, but I am a bit confused I guess since ASTI is in this portfolio too.  Anyway, reposted in the other ASTI thread, so hope that is where you wanted me to post it.
Chance favors the prepared mind

David Randolph

Quote from: yukiii on March 15, 2007, 02:59:30 PM
David take a look at WPCS

Thanks

What's the story yukiii? To take a serious look I need two hours, it would help to write a quick answer if I knew why you're interested in WPCS.

Thanks.

David Randolph

QuoteIm usually pretty good about posting in the right threads, but I am a bit confused I guess since ASTI is in this portfolio too.  Anyway, reposted in the other ASTI thread, so hope that is where you wanted me to post it.

Yes, you're good at it. This no longer is the 3 Stocks on Fire Portfolio message board Tokyo. Now it is the "Stock Talking Board".

hehe, I was here talking to my wife, saying, "Damn, I bought a stock today and it is down 7%". And she said: "what's new? Those usually are your best picks, you're no lucky man to buy a stock that goes straight up!"


WallStreetnBio

LEND traded the float 4 times today. How is that possible? Remember when HOKU traded more than the float. Look at that chart and I think we can learn from it. I know there were a lot of people trying to short today that couldn't and probably will short tomorrow sending it down. Just a thought but I think LEND will be lower in the future.
#1  CDS
#2  XING

Hungaryson

David:

New subscriber here...

On an issue like ASTI, I waited and got in at 8.33. I believe that you are in ~8.90
Where are you putting your initial stop loss on an issue like this? If you had put it at 7% you would have been stopped out.

Do you go with 10% or 15%?? How much "wiggle" room do you allow on your stops?

I would appreciate your feedback.

phabrux

#57
Hi David,
am I in the right threads for posting this question about a another old friend(WDPD.ob)?

Now ---->    WYY.ob

News are good but the chart locks pretty miserable, bearish to say the least!
What do you think David?

Widepoint reports Q4 revs rose 80% YoY to $7.2 mln (WYY) 1.77 +0.00 : Co announces financial results for the fiscal year ended Dec 31, 2006. Revenue for fiscal year 2006 increased 35% to $18.0 mln from $13.3 mln in 2005. Revenue for the fourth quarter increased to $7.2 mln, a gain of 80% over the $4.0 mln in revenue in the comparable period in 2005. The increase in revenue was primarily the result of contract awards issued to the co for work related to Homeland Security Presidential Directive No. 12 (HSPD-12) and further sales growth from the continuing adoption and support of the Department of Defense external certificate authority program. The co generated approx $508,000 in positive cash flow from operations in 2006, up 107% from $246,000 in 2005. For 2006, the co reported a net loss of $435,000, or $0.01 per share, compared to a net loss for 2005 of $7.4 mln, or $0.30 per share. The net loss for 2005 included several non-recurring non-cash charges related to stock issuance and preferred stock financing.

Thanks




David Randolph

Quote from: Hungaryson on March 15, 2007, 03:31:14 PM
David:

New subscriber here...

On an issue like ASTI, I waited and got in at 8.33. I believe that you are in ~8.90
Where are you putting your initial stop loss on an issue like this? If you had put it at 7% you would have been stopped out.

Do you go with 10% or 15%?? How much "wiggle" room do you allow on your stops?

I would appreciate your feedback.

Hi Hungaryson, thanks for your question :)

I don't use stops in a traditional way. However I have very rigid money management rules that I always respect. Let me tell you how it works:

I always buy a fixed proportion of capital in each different stock, in the Main Portfolio's case it is 6.66% of capital. This way, to be full invested, I need 15 different holdings, which diminishes risk. I never average up or down on the initial position.

In terms of limiting risk in one single position, I use the rule of thumb of never losing more than 2% of total equity in one single trade. So, since I invest 6.66% of capital in each holding, not to lose more than 2% of total equity in it, I can't let it slip more than 33.3% than my buying price. However, I usually know that I made a mistake much before this and cut losses quickly when I have to.

I never change the trading plan on an intraday basis, whatever happens to the stock price. I always update the analysis when the market is closed, everyday, and adjust the trading plan for the next day.

In a week you'll be familiar with how everything works. For example, there's a thread for each holding where updates are posted and questions are asked, not here, but since this is your first day, there's no problem at all (but some people won't like positions being disclosed on this free board - this can't happen in the future).

Welcome Hungaryson :)

David Randolph

Quote from: phabrux on March 15, 2007, 03:39:58 PM
Hi David,
am I in the right threads for posting this question about a another old friend?

WYY.ob

News are good but the chart locks pretty miserable, bearish to say the least!
What do you think David?

Widepoint reports Q4 revs rose 80% YoY to $7.2 mln (WYY) 1.77 +0.00 : Co announces financial results for the fiscal year ended Dec 31, 2006. Revenue for fiscal year 2006 increased 35% to $18.0 mln from $13.3 mln in 2005. Revenue for the fourth quarter increased to $7.2 mln, a gain of 80% over the $4.0 mln in revenue in the comparable period in 2005. The increase in revenue was primarily the result of contract awards issued to the co for work related to Homeland Security Presidential Directive No. 12 (HSPD-12) and further sales growth from the continuing adoption and support of the Department of Defense external certificate authority program. The co generated approx $508,000 in positive cash flow from operations in 2006, up 107% from $246,000 in 2005. For 2006, the co reported a net loss of $435,000, or $0.01 per share, compared to a net loss for 2005 of $7.4 mln, or $0.30 per share. The net loss for 2005 included several non-recurring non-cash charges related to stock issuance and preferred stock financing.

Thanks

Hi phabrux, is WWY old WDPT.OB?

I never understood that stock ... an hedge fund manager once sent me a report about it, telling I wasn't seeing the truth about WDPT, I read it all and felt the same, couldn't see why it was up. Now going down, so, it's natural to me.

As I'm reading the news it looks interesting, but it would take me two hours to "see the truth" about it, I have no time now, sorry.