3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

NGA

Started by David Randolph, May 04, 2007, 07:13:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garoh

Looks like we'er gonna be around 17 on Monday  :)

No Pain No Gain

422fwhp

Standing by....ready to short  :o

David Randolph

QuoteDavid, the ex-dividend date is Wednesday 23rd, shouldn't you hold until next Tuesday?

Good point realcoolhead, the stock will adjust downward only on Wednesday, I can hold on Monday and sell on Tuesday by the close.

QuoteWait a minute, I remember last year on IBCX board, here it is: http://www.nasd.com/web/groups/rules_regs/documents/notice_to_members/nasdw_003997.pdf

essentially it says that the ex-dividend date for a stock dividend that is 25% or more always falls on the next business date after payable date. Which means we won't see NGA traded 2/3 on May 23rd...

Good memory realcoolhead, but I believe that rule only applies to Nasdaq, OTCBB and PK stocks, and NGA is an AMEX traded stock, so I believe the rule doesn't apply to NGA.

Quote from: 422fwhp on May 19, 2007, 10:25:34 AM
Standing by....ready to short  :o

Short when, before or after the ex-dividend date? Good luck on your short 422fwhp, but wouldn't you rather short something less bullish and less undervalued?

Again, I'm changing the trading plan slightly:

1) Take profits at $17.25
2) Take profits on Tuesday

David Randolph

NGA's trading plan was made long ago and today is the conclusion of it. I'm going to make just a slight change:

1) Take profits between $17 and $17.25 if you have the chance, or else,

2) Sell just before 2 pm ET.

BigSully1

I still haven't decided whether to sell or not. The stock did debut at #5 on IBD's 100 list, but after the split it will have to come back off after it falls back below $15. Hmm.

I really wish they weren't doing this split.

nullzero

Quote from: BigSully1 on May 22, 2007, 12:52:48 PM
I still haven't decided whether to sell or not. The stock did debut at #5 on IBD's 100 list, but after the split it will have to come back off after it falls back below $15. Hmm.

I really wish they weren't doing this split.

its better to short near the top then the bottom

David Randolph

Quote from: BigSully1 on May 22, 2007, 12:52:48 PM
I still haven't decided whether to sell or not. The stock did debut at #5 on IBD's 100 list, but after the split it will have to come back off after it falls back below $15. Hmm.

I really wish they weren't doing this split.

Unfortunately it didn't go as high as I would like in the morning ... I sold it when it started turning negative on the session. The problem with holding today is, even if you sell tomorrow you'll keep holding the stock (at least one third of your position) and you won't be able to sell it even if "something happens", because you won't have your third share until June 8th.

Like you, I wish they didn't make this split, it's pretty annoying.

BigSully1

Quote from: nullzero on May 22, 2007, 01:06:22 PM
Quote from: BigSully1 on May 22, 2007, 12:52:48 PM
I still haven't decided whether to sell or not. The stock did debut at #5 on IBD's 100 list, but after the split it will have to come back off after it falls back below $15. Hmm.

I really wish they weren't doing this split.

its better to short near the top then the bottom

Null, I was talking about selling my long position, not shorting it. i wouldn't even think about shorting it. I will likely hold it now unless it approaches $17 again before the close.

realcoolhead

David, I still doubt that it will be treated like a cash dividend ... but we will see tomorrow.  ;)

Quote from: David Randolph on May 22, 2007, 01:11:55 PM
Quote from: BigSully1 on May 22, 2007, 12:52:48 PM
I still haven't decided whether to sell or not. The stock did debut at #5 on IBD's 100 list, but after the split it will have to come back off after it falls back below $15. Hmm.

I really wish they weren't doing this split.

Unfortunately it didn't go as high as I would like in the morning ... I sold it when it started turning negative on the session. The problem with holding today is, even if you sell tomorrow you'll keep holding the stock (at least one third of your position) and you won't be able to sell it even if "something happens", because you won't have your third share until June 8th.

Like you, I wish they didn't make this split, it's pretty annoying.

David Randolph

QuoteDavid, I still doubt that it will be treated like a cash dividend ... but we will see tomorrow.   ;)

What do you mean realcool, you're expecting to receive 1 share for every two held and the stock not to go down 33% tomorrow? Why?

Thanks :)

realcoolhead

I think it will be just like a normal split, meaning "nothing" will happen tomorrow ... you will get 1 for 2 on the payable date. But I could be wrong.  :D

Quote from: David Randolph on May 22, 2007, 02:00:40 PM
QuoteDavid, I still doubt that it will be treated like a cash dividend ... but we will see tomorrow.   ;)

What do you mean realcool, you're expecting to receive 1 share for every two held and the stock not to go down 33% tomorrow? Why?

Thanks :)

realcoolhead

A side question: David, do you not like TZOO anymore?  >:D

Quote from: David Randolph on May 22, 2007, 02:00:40 PM
QuoteDavid, I still doubt that it will be treated like a cash dividend ... but we will see tomorrow.   ;)

What do you mean realcool, you're expecting to receive 1 share for every two held and the stock not to go down 33% tomorrow? Why?

Thanks :)

David Randolph

QuoteI think it will be just like a normal split, meaning "nothing" will happen tomorrow ... you will get 1 for 2 on the payable date. But I could be wrong.  :D

So, you expect the stock to go down 33% just on the payable date. But, since tomorrow's buyers won't have the right to the new share, I guess it should go down tomorrow. We'll see ... anyway, I already booked my 36% profit, not bad :)

QuoteA side question: David, do you not like TZOO anymore? >:D

I like TZOO, I'll buy it sometime between now and the next quarterly earnings release.

David Randolph

QuoteI think it will be just like a normal split, meaning "nothing" will happen tomorrow ... you will get 1 for 2 on the payable date. But I could be wrong.  :D

You were absolutely right realcoolhead (as always). I hope the stock hits $17.25 or more today, you deserve it. I wonder what I've seen wrong on this dividend/split issue ??? ... I would like to know because it can be useful if a similar situation arises in the future. Did you talk to your broker or something?

Thanks and congrats :)

BigSully1