3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

News:

Welcome to 3StocksOnFire! US stock trading community (2005-2010) with 451+ documented trades and 15,000+ members. View Portfolios | Stock Articles | Quotes

Main Menu

My Messages

Started by Quasi, July 02, 2007, 11:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quasi

Hi Ramsburg,

I haven't been able to open up the "my messages" folder for several days now.

Don't know if this section of SMF is having a problem or has been disabled, the link  in the menu bar is as follows but just takes me to a blank screen.

http://www.3stocksonfire.org/trading/index.php?action=pm

Is anyone else having this problem, or is it just me?

thanks for your help in advance on this matter.

Quasi
JMHO subject to change without notice,
Happy Investing / Trading

Quasi

Quasi

Hi all

I still can't access the private message system, would one of the 20 people who have viewed this message please post here whether they can get in or not to read messages.  I seem to be able to send a message but just can't get in to receive or review any old private messages.

I've tried different browsers and different computers, same thing just a blank page.

thanks in advance

Quasi
JMHO subject to change without notice,
Happy Investing / Trading

Quasi

AussieTrader

Hey Quasi, how's it going?

Looks like it is some issue with your PC / browser settings and not the site itself. I can see messages no worries.

Cheers
AussieTrader
www.3stocksonfire.org

Try our Premium Service or just Register a FREE Account

Quasi

Thanks  Aussie

But still no luck, checked all my settings, different browsers and completely different computers.

If I compose a PM I get the menu links to inbox / outbox,  and I can see all my old PM's in the outbox, but the inbox is still blank page.  If I send a message a copy appears in my outbox as I always save a copy there, but I'm not sure if it actually gets sent to the recipient.

I've sent a message to Ramsburg to see if he has any ideas, I think I may be lost in the SMF database.

I'll send you a test PM, please let me know if it arrives.

And yes I haven't had alot of time to be around lately, spring / summer / fall are my busy times in my other business, construction / renovations.

thanks
Quasi
JMHO subject to change without notice,
Happy Investing / Trading

Quasi

Ramsburg

Hi Quasi,

Sorry for the late reply  :-\

This is a odd situation, never been reported before. Since you already checked the pm's with different browsers and computers, I'm not sure what it could be...

During the weekend I will take a deeper look to this issue, and once again sorry for my late feedback.

regards,
Frederick Ramsburg
www.3stocksonfire.org

Try our Premium Service or just Register a FREE Account

Quasi

Hi Ramsburg

I have a little more information and a workaround for the time being.

Using the message search function I was able to get to some of my old messages and thus my inbox, but could not see any of the messages newer than May 24 2007.  I then unchecked the sort by new messages first in my profile and now everything is fine, everything is there just latest message is at the end.

I still can't sort the other way but I can live with that if there is no solution.  The only other thing I can think of is that I did have some trouble with email on my server and I did loose my email address that 3SOF uses to send notifications.  Not sure when exactly it happened but if the PM server tried to send a notification and received back a response of invalid address it may have caused some kind of flag to be sent in the data base on those recent messages.

thanks in advance for anything you can do

Quasi
JMHO subject to change without notice,
Happy Investing / Trading

Quasi

Ramsburg

Quote from: Quasi on July 07, 2007, 12:59:27 PM
Hi Ramsburg

I have a little more information and a workaround for the time being.

Using the message search function I was able to get to some of my old messages and thus my inbox, but could not see any of the messages newer than May 24 2007.  I then unchecked the sort by new messages first in my profile and now everything is fine, everything is there just latest message is at the end.

Hi Quasi,

Thanks for the report.

Its good to know that you can access your msgs. But anyway, something is wrong, and we'll fix it.

Quote from: Quasi on July 07, 2007, 12:59:27 PM
I still can't sort the other way but I can live with that if there is no solution.  The only other thing I can think of is that I did have some trouble with email on my server and I did loose my email address that 3SOF uses to send notifications.  Not sure when exactly it happened but if the PM server tried to send a notification and received back a response of invalid address it may have caused some kind of flag to be sent in the data base on those recent messages.

Hum... it cant be related... the SMF system, posts the msgs on your inbox, and only after that it sends the email notification, in other words, one process doesnt depends on the other, even if the email is not received.

Quote from: Quasi on July 07, 2007, 12:59:27 PM
thanks in advance for anything you can do

Quasi


I think the problem maybe related with one specific msg (not sure which one), this is a very uncommon bug (first time reported), but I guess that if the message header is too long or contains strange characters or some html code (?) it may block the all process of showing the msgs.

I'll try to fix this ;) sorry for any problem related with it
Frederick Ramsburg
www.3stocksonfire.org

Try our Premium Service or just Register a FREE Account

Quasi

Quote from: Ramsburg on July 09, 2007, 04:40:36 PM

I think the problem maybe related with one specific msg (not sure which one), this is a very uncommon bug (first time reported), but I guess that if the message header is too long or contains strange characters or some html code (?) it may block the all process of showing the msgs.

I'll try to fix this ;) sorry for any problem related with it

Hi Ramsburg

We've got it now, it seemed to be tied to messages after May 24 which was the last one I could see.  So I deleted the May 25 portfolio message from David Randolph, no change.  I then deleted the May 24 Message again from David, no change.  I then deleted all the messages from May 25 to today and now things are working as normal again even with the new messages first setting.

So thanks all is OK and working as normal, however we still don't know what caused the problem, thus no real solution at hand if it happens again.  All the messages I deleted were just broadcast messages from 3SOF, mostly from David Randolph, portfolio updates etc, so it should have affected others on the distribution list.  However it seems I was the only one affected, so I think a data glitch / corruption happened in one of those messages in my section of the SMF database.  I'll let you know if it happens again, but I expect it won't happen again or at least not for a long time.

thanks
Quasi
JMHO subject to change without notice,
Happy Investing / Trading

Quasi

Ramsburg


Thanks Quasi,

I'm not sure what happened, but like you suggested, it could be some corrupted data in one of the msgs... The MySql database was showing no errors, possibly something happened during the delivery of a msg or something...

Well, I'm glad its ok now, I'm sorry about this, and thanks for reporting this bug.

regards,
Frederick Ramsburg
www.3stocksonfire.org

Try our Premium Service or just Register a FREE Account