3SOF

Special Boards => The Stock Picking Contest => Topic started by: Ramsburg on October 28, 2005, 01:03:06 PM

Title: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Ramsburg on October 28, 2005, 01:03:06 PM
(http://www.3stocksonfire.org/images/stockcontest/3sof_contest.gif)

Rules of the Contest: HERE (http://www.3stocksonfire.org/1000stockpickingcontest.php)
(3rd edition)
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: calven on October 28, 2005, 03:21:50 PM
What if the average daily volume drops to below 100,000 DURING the contest...?
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Ramsburg on October 28, 2005, 10:05:16 PM
Quote from: calven on October 28, 2005, 03:21:50 PM
What if the average daily volume drops to below 100,000 DURING the contest...?


We'll be ok with that, the average volume just needs to be set above 100k before the opening day of the contest.

We just needed to use some kind of limitation, to avoid highly manipulable stocks.
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: ehos on October 29, 2005, 01:46:35 AM
I strongly disagree with how Rule #7 is worded.  I realize there will be 'ties' between picks.  The first method to break the tie is really good, whoever posts first, is the winner.  Simple.

The second addition, is just plain horrible.  The way it's written is that a Honours Member could easily wait till the last possible minute, read all the submission and re-submit a stock pick.

It would be a lazy way to copy someone else's work. 

Also, it's really not even required. 

Quote from: Ramsburg on October 28, 2005, 01:03:06 PM
.

Rule #07 – In case the winner pick was picked by 2 or more players, the final winner will be the player who did post his pick in first place, with one exception in case one of the winners is an Honours Member (Subscriber), then he will be the final Contest Winner despite the date stamp of his pick.

Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: boatguy on October 29, 2005, 09:38:45 AM
I like the idea of the contest but think opening it up to all registered members will make it unworkable just because of the shear number of picks.

I think the contest should be limited to just honors members or make 2 seperate catagories, registered or members. Registered users could be given a free membership but the cash prize should be awarded to paid subscribers.

Just a suggestion, should be interesting what ever the rules end up being!

Really enjoy the site and know it is a work in progress and appreciate all the hard work you and David put into the site, keep the ideas coming!!

BG
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: tugsinav on October 29, 2005, 11:41:06 AM
Can we pick anything already pick by David in 3SOF?
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Ramsburg on October 29, 2005, 03:06:58 PM
Quote from: tugsinav on October 29, 2005, 11:41:06 AM
Can we pick anything already pick by David in 3SOF?

Yes, if the stock fits on Rule #03
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: stocky on October 30, 2005, 02:20:31 AM
Great stimulating idea. I think contest like this should be a permanent feature of 3SF.

I hope I will find my donut here or will grab some bacon from elite ;)

Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: wrangler on November 01, 2005, 12:02:06 PM
Hi Ramsburg
Just wnated to make sure about something. Is it ok to pick a stock listed on the NazdaqNM.
Thank you
Have a great trading day :)
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Ramsburg on November 01, 2005, 12:08:34 PM
Quote from: wrangler on November 01, 2005, 12:02:06 PM
Hi Ramsburg
Just wnated to make sure about something. Is it ok to pick a stock listed on the NazdaqNM.
Thank you
Have a great trading day :)

Yes wrangler, its ok.
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: wrangler on November 01, 2005, 12:14:23 PM
Thanks Ramsburg
Boy :o that was a quick reply. I applaud you for that.
Good luck trading :)
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: trader567 on November 01, 2005, 04:18:57 PM
I like the general idea of the contest.  Yet, the specific one outlined barely compares the skills among members to identify profitable trades/investments.  As we all know, one could pick a the best stock in which to acquire a long position and the stock could appreciate 1,000,000%.  Yet, he could still come out a loser.  The key to it all is timing- WHEN you buy and sell, not WHAT you buy and sell.  Normally, a great trader can control his/her own timing by entering and exiting a position according to what the indicators show.  The problem with the contest, is that it strips the contestants of this ability; it becomes a complete crap shoot.

My suggestion is the contest be redesigned to allow the contestants to pick their own entry and exit times.  Obviously, this can't be on an intraday basis as it would be impossible to verify intraday execution prices.  But, I think within the window you've given, we should be able to buy and sell at the open or close of any day.  Such trade would have to be posted before the open or close actually occurs.

You could make this feature optional: If one wants to buy at the beginning, and sell at the end as was the default let him/her do so.  But if one wants to control the timing, allow that as well.

What do ya think?
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Ramsburg on November 01, 2005, 09:28:29 PM

It's a good point trader567...

We'll probably be doing this game on a monthly basis, and I had already though about that feature, because like you just said, timming is very important.

Although, we are not implementing that rule on this first edition of the contest. This is like a beta version ;)

Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: calven on November 02, 2005, 05:05:13 PM
Not sure if this was touched on but are "short" picks allowed?
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Ramsburg on November 02, 2005, 07:39:23 PM
Quote from: calven on November 02, 2005, 05:05:13 PM
Not sure if this was touched on but are "short" picks allowed?

Sorry calven, only long picks  :(
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: shawFund on November 04, 2005, 08:10:38 AM
One suggestion:

About the gain:

  Allow anyone to exit the position any time during this month, not necessary to wait until the last day (Dec 5).


Say, if you picked a stock and it gained 100% in the middle of the month. Your price target has met and want to take profit ahead of time.

This agrees with our stock on fire (momentum) play principle. Exit at the best time and the best time may not be on Dec 5th.





Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: boatguy on November 05, 2005, 11:56:50 AM
Shawfund,  Good idea this would allow us to lock in the profit on our picks and still be workable without taking to much time from David and Ramsburgs valuable time.

Applaud
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: setravis on November 05, 2005, 10:39:12 PM
Wow all the members we have here and only 23 picks so far.
Better get busy. Come on , "hopefully nobody will smite your pick here!!" :D :D :D
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: stocky on November 05, 2005, 11:03:07 PM
well i dont know if i would come up with the pick but i would sure be putting my money on good picks from contests.
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: setravis on November 06, 2005, 07:03:06 PM
Still can't understand why, with all the members we have here
at 3SOF we now have only 31 picks so far.
What's up traders....not interested ???
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Ramsburg on November 06, 2005, 09:32:35 PM
Quote from: shawFund on November 04, 2005, 08:10:38 AM
One suggestion:

About the gain:

  Allow anyone to exit the position any time during this month, not necessary to wait until the last day (Dec 5).


Say, if you picked a stock and it gained 100% in the middle of the month. Your price target has met and want to take profit ahead of time.

This agrees with our stock on fire (momentum) play principle. Exit at the best time and the best time may not be on Dec 5th.


Hi ShawFund,

We thought about that... and probably will be a new rule on the next contest...
But will not be applied on this first edition.

Let's call this first edition a «Beta Version» ;)
I'm sure the new versions of the contest will have some nice updates.

regards,
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: dwest718 on November 06, 2005, 10:32:46 PM
Ramsburg, are you going to enforce the 100 word minimum and the 20 post minimum?  It would knock out several picks.

There are 39-40 entries right now if the rules are enforced.  Setravis... you got across to at least a few people.  10 more picks in the last few hours. Now this is a little bit of a competition... May the best man (or woman) win!
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Lucas Scott on November 07, 2005, 02:32:00 AM
The less competition the better. I want that 500 bucks!! Show me the monay!! >:D
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: setravis on November 07, 2005, 07:33:05 AM
I have come to notice in the Stock Picking Contest
That Healey Picked SIRI and later on tdot36 made the same pick. ???
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: ScottishTrader on November 07, 2005, 01:55:23 PM
maybe tdot didn't read through all the picks  ???  His loss, as the rules state, it oges to whoever picks first.

Reading through the stock picks, there are some absolutely fantastic picks in there - I just wish I had more money to go in on some more of them - maybe I will next month :D :D

As for now, let the games begin  >:D
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: eagerlearner on November 07, 2005, 02:29:28 PM
wow , 80% of all the picks are up intraday so far!  :o  .. very impressive!
miliion of thanks to David and Ramsburg for the great idea!
u guys make trading so much more fun and profitable  8)
I am so lucky to be part of 3OF.  ;D

what a great day for David's portfolio too!
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Tatrader on November 07, 2005, 02:34:03 PM
I have been an Honors member for sometime.  I followed the guidelines of the contest in submitting my pick.   When I read the rule about number of posts(Rule 4), I took that to mean subscribers who do not have a paid membership.  Those individuals have to have at least 20 posts....Honors members are exempt from number of posts, correct?
I post rarely on threads, just gain data, and move on from there....

Now when I read Rule 4, I am thinking that I had to post at least 20 posts to be legit.  Ramsburg, tell me, I read the rule correctly the first time.  Honors members will not be punished, will they for lack of posts?

TATRADER


Rule #04 – Only Honours Members (subscribers) and Registered members with more than 20 posts published to date are eligible to play this contest.
If you are not yet registered at 3SOF, please do it here (it's free).
If you want to become an Honours Member and subscribe our service click here
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Ramsburg on November 07, 2005, 03:10:39 PM
Quote from: Tatrader on November 07, 2005, 02:34:03 PM
I have been an Honors member for sometime.  I followed the guidelines of the contest in submitting my pick.   When I read the rule about number of posts(Rule 4), I took that to mean subscribers who do not have a paid membership.  Those individuals have to have at least 20 posts....Honors members are exempt from number of posts, correct?
I post rarely on threads, just gain data, and move on from there....

Now when I read Rule 4, I am thinking that I had to post at least 20 posts to be legit.  Ramsburg, tell me, I read the rule correctly the first time.  Honors members will not be punished, will they for lack of posts?

TATRADER


Rule #04 – Only Honours Members (subscribers) and Registered members with more than 20 posts published to date are eligible to play this contest.
If you are not yet registered at 3SOF, please do it here (it's free).
If you want to become an Honours Member and subscribe our service click here

Yes ;)
Honours Members don't need to have 20 posts.
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Terliso on November 07, 2005, 10:05:09 PM
I noticed in the $1000 contest... 3 of the contestants have asterisk right besides their user name, so i guess those 3 are already out of the game...
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Ramsburg on November 07, 2005, 10:12:35 PM
Quote from: Terlisa on November 07, 2005, 10:05:09 PM
I noticed in the $1000 contest... 3 of the contestants have asterisk right besides their user name, so i guess those 3 are already out of the game...

Yep, there was a problem with Rule#4 on these players with the (*). I've inserted them on the results table, because they had valid Picks and Texts with reasons behind their Picks... But rules are rules, and they did't have a minimum of 20 posts, so they can't win the first prize even if they win the contest. In case one of them end winning the contest, the Prize goes to the Second Place.

Sorry guys  :(
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: calven on November 07, 2005, 10:49:26 PM
Hey I was wondering how it is possible to have my pick be up 2% today yet my total gain/loss is 0%?

   
calven   UBET   5.80    +2.11%     5.80      0.00%



The same thing for "eliteg" . ERI was up 2% today yet his total shows  -10%???
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Ramsburg on November 07, 2005, 10:54:17 PM
Quote from: calven on November 07, 2005, 10:49:26 PM
Hey I was wondering how it is possible to have my pick be up 2% today yet my total gain/loss is 0%?

   
calven   UBET   5.80    +2.11%     5.80      0.00%

Hi Calven,

Your buy price (and for the rest of the players) was the opening price for the day, which in this case was: $5.80
UBET openned on the high of the day, rising +2.11%, and closed at the same price.

I hope this answer your question.

best regards ;)

Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: calven on November 07, 2005, 11:02:37 PM
How does it both open and close at 5.80 yet move up 2%? lol

Im more concerned for eliteg... :( same thing happened to him
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: dwest718 on November 07, 2005, 11:07:45 PM
The move in percentage is from previous close.  My stock was another that jumped at open and traded down but still finished up 1% from Friday's close.  I'm down 1.5% for the competition because it was down 1.5% from open.
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Ramsburg on November 07, 2005, 11:15:20 PM
Quote from: calven on November 07, 2005, 11:02:37 PM
How does it both open and close at 5.80 yet move up 2%? lol

Im more concerned for eliteg... :( same thing happened to him

Friday's close was $5.68, so at $5.80 it was moving 2% ;)
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Terliso on November 07, 2005, 11:17:02 PM
I think Calven is confused already.....

(Here Calven follow this:)

1) UBET previous closed @ 5.68 (11-05-05)
2) UBET open today @ 5.80 (11-07-05)
3) UBET you bought it today at opening @ 5.80
5) 5.80 bought & 5.80 closed = you got 0%
4) 5.68 to 5.80 = the stock UBET got 2.11% not you.

is it clear now Calven?  ;)
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Terliso on November 07, 2005, 11:22:59 PM
Mathematics is sometimes confusing .... I hate math!! but we need it so bad to calculate our gain in stock world  ;) :D :D
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: setravis on November 08, 2005, 09:15:13 AM
The Leader after day 1. 8)

*****************************AussieTrader**************************

You Go Aussie :o
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: eliteG on November 08, 2005, 09:19:32 AM
Quote from: calven on November 07, 2005, 11:02:37 PM
How does it both open and close at 5.80 yet move up 2%? lol

Im more concerned for eliteg... :( same thing happened to him

thx for the concern calven  ;)

I knew I was in for trouble when the stock gapped up over 10% @ open  :D but the cool thing is this is a month long contest and I chose a very volatile stock on purpose... we shall see.  8)
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: AussieTrader on November 08, 2005, 09:43:07 AM
LOL thanks Setravis, thing is I have sprinted real fast on day 1, but forgotten that it is a 4 week race, so my stamina will be under severe test very soon :D

I have a feeling Mr SVA and Mr SMTX may be shaping up for a run at the 1st place crown very soon.
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Lucas Scott on November 17, 2005, 03:08:32 PM
QuoteI have a feeling Mr SVA and Mr SMTX may be shaping up for a run at the 1st place crown very soon.

Maybe Mr. SVA, but Mr. SMTX is DOA ;D
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: vic666 on November 21, 2005, 10:00:03 PM
lol...thanks. I'm Mr. SVA (not bragging, but feels good to be in 1st place amongst such an elite group!!!).

but you know what, with the rules for this "beta-version" being what it is now, i.e. strictly starting with the price on No.v 4 and the final closing price on Dec. 5, this contest has become more of a "game of chance" than that os skill...becuase as someone pointed out earlier, if say someon'ew pick had a 150% gain in 8 days and he/she decides to close the trade...you only gotta count that gain...instead of waiting for the rest of the 3 weeks to end (in which time the stock might end up -150% !!)

the contest's gotta be purely a game of skill...hopefully the administrators will implement it in the future versions.

As for SVA...I've not been holding it but rather trading it...even though it's been my own pick. but the gains so far from trading have been very decent to me. The high of $7.92 will soon be tested...I just hopes it coincides with the contest closing date of Dec. 5  ;) so I could bag the purse!  ;D

good luck to all traders out there.
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Ramsburg on November 21, 2005, 10:56:30 PM

I think the next edition of the contest will allow you to sell you position, I'm thinking in some kind of rule like «You have to insert your selling post and the selling price will be the next open» probably with some time limitation, like you must insert your order at least 1 hour before the open.

But I have to work arround the contest script a bit... hhehehh... I'm not a professional coder, and this kind of works are much more difficult to me than trading the markets ;-)

I´ll have some news about the second edition this week.

regards.
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Ramsburg on December 07, 2005, 12:41:19 PM

Rules updated
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Lucas Scott on December 07, 2005, 06:09:23 PM
I'm glad you guys are splitting up the prize this time instead of winner take all. Though you'll get no complaints from me about the winner take all format in the first edition! ;D

One small suggestion I have would be for the contest to end at the closing price on the last day rather than the opening price of the following day. Seems like opening prices are subject to some manipulation. It wasn't an issue in the first round because of the margin of victory but, if the margin is only a percentage point or two, the outcome could be manipulated by a small and seemingly irrelevant gap up or down at the next open.   
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: owen654321 on December 07, 2005, 06:17:37 PM
A question to Ramsburg -- is there any way to make an exception for daily volume lower than 100k?  I am looking into picking Middleby (MIDD), which has a market cap of $637 million -- definitely no small cap by any means.  However, the stock trades at over $80/share, so the average daily volume is, understandably, about 71,000.  What do you think?  Am I just out of luck, or is that cool?  If it's not okay, I'll continue to search for another one I believe will show pps growth and consistency (none of these whiplash high-beta stocks for me).
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Ramsburg on December 07, 2005, 07:50:29 PM
Quote from: Lucas Scott on December 07, 2005, 06:09:23 PM
I'm glad you guys are splitting up the prize this time instead of winner take all. Though you'll get no complaints from me about the winner take all format in the first edition! ;D

One small suggestion I have would be for the contest to end at the closing price on the last day rather than the opening price of the following day. Seems like opening prices are subject to some manipulation. It wasn't an issue in the first round because of the margin of victory but, if the margin is only a percentage point or two, the outcome could be manipulated by a small and seemingly irrelevant gap up or down at the next open.   

Hi Lucas ;)

I thought about that... and we may change that rule... Let me just talk with David about that.

Quote from: owen654321 on December 07, 2005, 06:17:37 PM
A question to Ramsburg -- is there any way to make an exception for daily volume lower than 100k?  I am looking into picking Middleby (MIDD), which has a market cap of $637 million -- definitely no small cap by any means.  However, the stock trades at over $80/share, so the average daily volume is, understandably, about 71,000.  What do you think?  Am I just out of luck, or is that cool?  If it's not okay, I'll continue to search for another one I believe will show pps growth and consistency (none of these whiplash high-beta stocks for me).

Hi owen !

You have a good point here... In fact, that stock is no small cap...
I guess, I'll make an exception, and I will update the rules tomorrow to something like this:
- Stocks priced above $50 / share, the minimum average volume must be above 50k

regards,
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: owen654321 on December 08, 2005, 04:54:54 PM
Ramsburg - Thank you for the rule clarification/modification.  I've gone ahead and made Middleby (MIDD) my pick!  This site is the best :)  Thanks all for the wonderful ideas and mucho entertainment.
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: phonepro26 on December 11, 2005, 11:26:57 PM
Top notch Due diligence here for Microcap stocks
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Microcapcorner/
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: setravis on December 12, 2005, 12:13:41 AM
In violation of the Rules.

Pick.....FONR is under $1.00....Closing Price Friday 0.79

Pick.....GNBT is under $1.00....Closing Price Friday 0.90

Pick.....TWOG.PK....Is a Pink Sheet....Last Price....0.0125

I see 7 Picks so far do not meet post requirements of 10 or more.
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Terliso on December 12, 2005, 12:25:11 AM
That's right Setravis,... Before posting your picks for the contest, I suggest you gotta read the rules for the contest to meet the requirements or else you guys just wasting your effort & your time ;)

Here's the rules, read it for yourself:
or better.. just listen to Ja Rule's music ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D


(http://www.3stocksonfire.org/images/stockcontest/3sof_contest.gif)

Rules of the Contest:
(2nd edition)


Rule #01 – The contest will take place from December the 12th 2005, to January the 10th 2006.

Rule #02 – The players will buy a stock at the opening price of December 12th and will sell it on the opening price of any regular market session before January 10th, if the player still hold his position on January 10th the position will be automatically sold on the opening price of January the 10h, the player with the biggest %change return will win the contest.
Rule #02-(a): Selling Rule: To sell his position before the end of the game, the player must post his selling order HERE (http://www.3stocksonfire.org/trading/index.php?topic=3928.0), including the Ticker of his pick, and a short explanations of his reasons to sell. The order will be executed on the next opening price after the time stamp of his post (orders posted after 09:30AM will only be executed in the next session).

Rule #03 – Only stocks from NYSE, AMEX and NASDAQ with an average daily volume bigger than 100,000 and above $1 will be eligible for the contest. (The official average volume assumed will be the one presented on Yahoo! Finance website)
No OTCBB and Pink Sheets are eligible for this contest.

Rule #04 – Only Honours Members (subscribers) and Registered members with more than 10 posts published to date are eligible to play this contest.
If you are not yet registered at 3SOF, please do it here (it's free).
If you want to become an Honours Member and subscribe our service click here.

Rule #05 – Only one play per person. We'll be checking all the player's IP addresses, and players found with 2 or more different usernames playing the game will be automatically banned from the game.

Rule #06 – No «Blind» Picks allowed. All players must publish along with their stock pick, the reasons behind their pick, either Technicals, Fundamentals, Psychologicals, or whatever they think is important for other users to understand the reasons of their pick. Along with the stocks pick, a text with at least 100 words and a stock chart must be included with your pick, otherwise the pick will not be eligible for the contest.

Rule #07 – In case the winner pick was picked by 2 or more players, the final winner will be the player who did post his pick in first place, with one exception in case one of the winners is an Honours Member (Subscriber), then he will be the final Contest Winner despite the date stamp of his pick.

Rule #08 – All picks must be submitted before 9:00am of December the 12th , they cannot be edited after that time, otherwise the player will be declassified.

Rule #09 – How to discuss about this contest?
A special Message Board was created to give special backup on the Contest, you can access it here.

Rule #10 – How to submit your pick ?
There is only one way of submitting your pick, and that's replying to this special Topic HERE (http://www.3stocksonfire.org/trading/index.php?topic=3927.0). This thread will be also the place where you can see the other player's picks. Important: Do not use that thread to another purpose rather than submitting your stock pick. For organizational purposes, any reply that is not a stock pick will be deleted.


Rule #11 – Stock Pick Standard Layout
When posting your Stock pick, try to follow the Standard Layout on your post:
• Stock Pick (Ticker & Name of the Company)
• Reason behind this pick (a Text with at least 100 words, featuring the reasons of your stock pick)
• Stock Chart (Click in additional options, browse for your chart file GIF/JPG/PNG and add it to your post, if you don't have a Charting software, we suggest you copy a chart from www.stockcharts.com )

Rule #12 – The Final Prize
• 1st Place: $250, that we'll be paid by PayPal, + 6 Month subscription of the 3 Stocks Premium Service (value $260), + 1 3Stocks On Fire T-Shirt, + An email Interview to be published on 3stocksonfire.
• 2nd Place: $150, that we'll be paid by PayPal, + 3 Month subscription of the 3 Stocks Premium Service (value $135), + 1 3Stocks On Fire T-Shirt.
• 3rd Place: $100, that we'll be paid by PayPal, + 1 Month subscription of the 3 Stocks Premium Service (value $49.95), + 1 3Stocks On Fire T-Shirt.
• 4th Place: 1 Month subscription of the 3 Stocks Premium Service (value $49.95), + 1 3Stocks On Fire T-Shirt.
• 5th Place: 1 3Stocks On Fire T-Shirt.

Good Hunting ! ;)
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: ScottishTrader on December 12, 2005, 01:52:21 AM
Also note:

No «Blind» Picks allowed. All players must publish along with their stock pick, the reasons behind their pick, either Technicals, Fundamentals, Psychologicals, or whatever they think is important for other users to understand the reasons of their pick. Along with the stocks pick, a text with at least 100 words and a stock chart must be included with your pick, otherwise the pick will not be eligible for the contest.

There seem to be quite a few that also violate this condition.  Picking a stock because "it has gone down a lot and should go back up" is not a reason :-X
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: metro on December 12, 2005, 02:42:48 PM
you are right ScottishTrader - i knoticed that many picks will not be qualified as they did not even meet the 100 word rule
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: poorman1 on December 12, 2005, 04:42:37 PM
Picks by non-honour members with < 10 posts.

DSTI
TWOG
SIFY
NSTC
SIR
JAKKS
MVCO by rightside investment club
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: setravis on December 12, 2005, 05:38:01 PM
Quote from: poorman1 on December 12, 2005, 04:42:37 PM
Picks by non-honour members with < 10 posts.

DSTI
TWOG
SIFY
NSTC
SIR
JAKKS
MVCO by rightside investment club



By Non-Honours Members      Pick                                             Post <10

dididi                                  SIFY                                               1
Aba46041                           NSTC                                              1
betterwheel1                      SIR                                                 1
nica                                    JAKK                                               5
masternic35                        DSTI                                                2
Phonepro26                        TWOG.PK                                         7
RightSideInvestmentClub       MVCO                                              7

Also these 2 picks closed Friday under $1.00
FONR....Closed @ 0.79
GNBT....Closed @ 0.90


Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: basonista on December 12, 2005, 06:01:23 PM
I'm curious as to where the opening stock price is taken from.  My pick - HEB - shows an opening price of $2.62 on Stockcharts.com, Yahoo and Ameritrade.  It is listed as $2.73 on the board which is the HOD.  Not that it's going to help me much in the long run but every penny can make a difference (just like every KKD doughnut slowed me down... and down.... and down ;))!
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest: QUESTION
Post by: defenderyou on December 13, 2005, 12:46:57 AM
What happened to the abilit to sort the entries by the total return percentage since start date - this was very useful but nolonger seems to be allowed? Are you planning to fix this??

Thanks

Defenderyou
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: VikingFan on December 13, 2005, 12:52:40 AM
Just wondering why the member who picked the same stock as I picked, MVCO, 2 days after me, is listed at #1 with a 10.12% gain while I'm listed #4 with a 8.61% gain.  Something's not adding up right. 

If that member is a non-honours member with only 7 posts as listed above, and picked the stock 2 days after me, why are they even listed at all?
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: dwest718 on December 13, 2005, 01:17:28 AM
Viking...

1st) The percentages are all messed up.  I'm not exactly sure what happened in the last hour but somehow I've lost 5% even though the numbers have stayed the same.
2nd) Anyone w/ an apostrophe has been DQed.  And no not Dairy-Queened but rather that more unpleasant one that means they are not eligible for prizes.

Happy trading and good luck.  Enjoying my lead while it lasts!  ;D
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Lucas Scott on December 13, 2005, 02:44:20 AM
I'm sure Ramsburg will get the kinks worked out in the next day or so. I LMAO when I saw TWOG as one of the stock picks.  That guy earned himself a smite for that foolery!

There were also a couple of duplicate picks. How hard is it to hit Ctrl+F on each page to see if the pick is taken? LOL! Oh well, the more disqualifications, the better each of our chances are.
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: dyc100 on December 13, 2005, 02:54:41 AM
Quote from: Lucas Scott on December 13, 2005, 02:44:20 AM
I'm sure Ramsburg will get the kinks worked out in the next day or so. I LMAO when I saw TWOG as one of the stock picks.  That guy earned himself a smite for that foolery!

There were also a couple of duplicate picks. How hard is it to hit Ctrl+F on each page to see if the pick is taken? LOL! Oh well, the more disqualifications, the better each of our chances are.

>:D
Hey Lucas, congrat to your last win of $1000 contest, you are a great hot stock picker :D
I am new, but I am sure that this contest rules were laid out plain and simple.  Just follow it and shouldn't have that many problems, but some people just don't live up to that expectation and therefore, they should be DQed as expected :'(
Anyway, good luck to all still in it and with good potential for da big runs! :o
PS: I hope the sorting of contest list get fix, thanks! :)
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Ramsburg on December 13, 2005, 08:39:23 AM

Hello !

It seems that we have a small bug on the results dislpay sometimes.... my fault  ::) I'm going to fix it during todays session.

regards,
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Ramsburg on December 13, 2005, 08:44:00 AM
Quote from: basonista on December 12, 2005, 06:01:23 PM
I'm curious as to where the opening stock price is taken from.  My pick - HEB - shows an opening price of $2.62 on Stockcharts.com, Yahoo and Ameritrade.  It is listed as $2.73 on the board which is the HOD.  Not that it's going to help me much in the long run but every penny can make a difference (just like every KKD doughnut slowed me down... and down.... and down ;))!

Basonista,

Just checked, and corrected.
Your entry price was $2.62 (my mistake  ::))

regards
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest: QUESTION
Post by: Ramsburg on December 13, 2005, 08:45:38 AM
Quote from: defenderyou on December 13, 2005, 12:46:57 AM
What happened to the abilit to sort the entries by the total return percentage since start date - this was very useful but nolonger seems to be allowed? Are you planning to fix this??

Thanks

Defenderyou

hello defenderyou,

I've made some changes on the code since the last edition, but later today I'm expecting to have that feature back online.

regards,
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: usedcasting on December 13, 2005, 08:59:35 AM
Just wanted to check if my opening price is right. I show $2.42 for ANLY. Now someboby did pay $2.50 for the high of the day in the first couple of minutes of trading. As far as not having 100 words, can I still add to it. I was rushed and submitted at the last moment.

Cheers
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Ramsburg on December 13, 2005, 11:02:14 AM
Quote from: usedcasting on December 13, 2005, 08:59:35 AM
Just wanted to check if my opening price is right. I show $2.42 for ANLY. Now someboby did pay $2.50 for the high of the day in the first couple of minutes of trading. As far as not having 100 words, can I still add to it. I was rushed and submitted at the last moment.

Cheers

Hi usedcasting,

In fact, yesteraday's opening price for ANLY was $2.50, and we have to use it because of the rules  :( My DDDC pick opened with a 10% gap up too at 3.32 and 2 minutes later was trading near 3$.

About the (*) on your username, thats because you posted your pick 7 minutes late.
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: nica33 on December 13, 2005, 11:22:07 AM
A name with  (*) is disqualified??? :o ??? :-[ :-\
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Terliso on December 13, 2005, 12:46:12 PM
Quote from: nica33 on December 13, 2005, 11:22:07 AM
A name with  (*) is disqualified??? :o ??? :-[ :-\

YES, disqualified... i think you too, cuz u don't have enough posts
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Ramsburg on December 13, 2005, 01:17:22 PM
Quote from: nica33 on December 13, 2005, 11:22:07 AM
A name with  (*) is disqualified??? :o ??? :-[ :-\

A name with a (*), is somebody that for some reason doesn't meet all the rules.
The name we'll still be on the list, but the player can't win any prizes.

regards.
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: small_investor on December 13, 2005, 02:02:05 PM
hallo Ramsburg, hello 3SToF team

first of all I want to tell you that I´m not very happy about my mistake by picking a stock which is the favourite from thai626. Sorry!!

Yesterday I sent you a correction of this ( before contest starting) and thougt it will be changed by you or your team. My new stock pick was PHRM, I`ve made a posting with chart and....

I sent a mail to Terlisa and thai626, I told them too that I`m sorry and I´ve made a correction.
Now I checked this and I found my pick unchanged in the first form (ASTM) and not PHRM.

What can we do? Is it possible for you to change my pick in the corrected 2nd version( PHRM)? If there´s no change possible I think it will be better for the game to disqualify my pick. Think it is ok, thai626 had done the pick at first...

Best regards, small_investor
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Ramsburg on December 13, 2005, 02:20:06 PM
Quote from: small_investor on December 13, 2005, 02:02:05 PM
What can we do? Is it possible for you to change my pick in the corrected 2nd version( PHRM)? If there´s no change possible I think it will be better for the game to disqualify my pick. Think it is ok, thai626 had done the pick at first...

Best regards, small_investor

Hello small_investor,

I'm sorry for this situation, your pick will be updated to PHRM

regards,
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest: QUESTION
Post by: Ramsburg on December 13, 2005, 03:11:30 PM
Quote from: defenderyou on December 13, 2005, 12:46:57 AM
What happened to the abilit to sort the entries by the total return percentage since start date - this was very useful but nolonger seems to be allowed? Are you planning to fix this??

Thanks

Defenderyou

The ranking stats (http://www.3stocksonfire.org/1000contest_results.php) are now fixed, I've also included 2 sorting choices (G/L Today, and Member A-Z) for better browsing.

If anyboody finds errors, bugs, mistaken entry prices, etc, please report to me ;)

best regards !
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: SmartWrasse on December 19, 2005, 10:12:29 PM
Looking good Fred R.  Thanks. :)
Title: Many disqualified but more green this week
Post by: metro on January 07, 2006, 10:28:28 AM
The list was looking pretty red a week ago but much better now. If it only has a few more weeks....

I see several who are disqualified as they for some reason did not follow or meet the rules.

There are some others also who did not meet the rules:

GIGM  - has only 83 words and minimum is 100
NMGC by Mixmaster has 49 words
DRL has 47 words
IINT has 74 words

There are more but think the are all below 25 in placing..

seems to me the rules were not so hard to follow...yet 5 or the top 10 are disqualified.

However - regardless of contest the main thing is some good stock to choose from all posted in one thread so convenient to check.

The other day I just put up a couple of stocks just about at break out points. Maybe we can make a break out thread where you show charts that are about to at least try to break out. I mean mainly a break from a top horizontal trend line or triangle or a significant level at another place.

This is an example.

http://www.3stocksonfire.org/trading/index.php?topic=4225.0

One more day but it looks like KNOL will be the winner this month and it was sold 10 or more days ago. It is now under the 9-day but worth watching as it couidl try a move again.

Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: don on January 23, 2006, 01:26:41 AM
I follow mostly  Canadian traded stocks. Is there any reason why you would not allow TSE stocks in the competition. ? Don.
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: dwest718 on January 25, 2006, 04:14:00 PM
I think a few picks should be disqualified from the third competition...

NEXM - initial buy price < 1.00
ANLY - avg. volume under 100K
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Ramsburg on January 25, 2006, 10:28:24 PM
Quote from: don on January 23, 2006, 01:26:41 AM
I follow mostly  Canadian traded stocks. Is there any reason why you would not allow TSE stocks in the competition. ? Don.

Maybe on the next edition... thanks for the suggestion.
Title: Re: The Rules of the Contest
Post by: Ramsburg on January 25, 2006, 10:31:11 PM
Quote from: dwest718 on January 25, 2006, 04:14:00 PM
I think a few picks should be disqualified from the third competition...

NEXM - initial buy price < 1.00
ANLY - avg. volume under 100K

That's right dwest, and thanks for calling it.
This two picks will not be accepted for prize winnings, although they will remain on the results table with a (*) after the player name.

regards,