3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

News:

Welcome to 3StocksOnFire! US stock trading community (2005-2010) with 451+ documented trades and 15,000+ members. View Portfolios | Stock Articles | Quotes

Main Menu

BRKA

Started by Terliso, August 17, 2007, 09:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terliso

BUSINESS SUMMARY  
Berkshire Hathaway, Inc. and its subsidiaries primarily engage in the insurance and reinsurance of property and casualty risks business. It provides automobile, multi line, and credit and income protection insurance; excess-of-loss reinsurance and quota-share coverage; and reinsurance for life, accident, and health risks. The company also manufactures and distributes clothing, including uniforms for police, fire, postal, and military markets; and footwear, as well as manufactures and distributes clay bricks, concrete blocks, and cut limestone; building products of other manufacturers, including glass block and other masonry products; and sells ceramic floor, and marble and granite stones. In addition, Berkshire Hathaway produces general purpose coatings; fiber glass wool insulation products and pipe and duct insulation products; roofing systems and components; and non woven mats, fabrics, and fibers. Further, it engages in the provision of manufactured homes, commercial real estate and consumer receivable financing, and annuity contracts; and ownership and management of manufactured housing communities, as well as provision of training to operators of aircraft and ships. Additionally, the company provides rental furniture and accessories; leases transportation equipment; offers wholesale distribution and logistics services; and retails household appliances, electronics, computers, and other home furnishings. Further, it provides tufted and woven carpets, and laminated flooring; home cleaning systems; confectionery products; and wood and metal moulding, matboard, foamboard, glass, equipment, and other framing supplies, as well as publishes news editions and sells kitchen tools. The company was founded in 1889 and is headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska. Berkshire Hathaway, Inc. acquired Business Wire in March 2006.



BRKA hits all-time high....who wants to buy some shares? ;)

bjc

The 3sof public board has gone dormant!  Is there anyone left?  The 5 or so new posts a day on this board are a far cry from the olden days.

As long as the fed keeps holding us up, I feel like this is a great buying opportunity!  I think we see DOW 14k again on this rally, hopefully. 

I think large cap tech is a good way to go.  CSCO, HPQ, VSEA good names from what I can see.  Bought VSEA a point or so above todays close a few days back..barring any collapse in the markets, VSEA deserves a valuation north of $70.

BigSully1

Quote from: Terliso on August 17, 2007, 09:11:51 PM
BUSINESS SUMMARY    
Berkshire Hathaway, Inc. and its subsidiaries primarily engage in the insurance and reinsurance of property and casualty risks business. It provides automobile, multi line, and credit and income protection insurance; excess-of-loss reinsurance and quota-share coverage; and reinsurance for life, accident, and health risks. The company also manufactures and distributes clothing, including uniforms for police, fire, postal, and military markets; and footwear, as well as manufactures and distributes clay bricks, concrete blocks, and cut limestone; building products of other manufacturers, including glass block and other masonry products; and sells ceramic floor, and marble and granite stones. In addition, Berkshire Hathaway produces general purpose coatings; fiber glass wool insulation products and pipe and duct insulation products; roofing systems and components; and non woven mats, fabrics, and fibers. Further, it engages in the provision of manufactured homes, commercial real estate and consumer receivable financing, and annuity contracts; and ownership and management of manufactured housing communities, as well as provision of training to operators of aircraft and ships. Additionally, the company provides rental furniture and accessories; leases transportation equipment; offers wholesale distribution and logistics services; and retails household appliances, electronics, computers, and other home furnishings. Further, it provides tufted and woven carpets, and laminated flooring; home cleaning systems; confectionery products; and wood and metal moulding, matboard, foamboard, glass, equipment, and other framing supplies, as well as publishes news editions and sells kitchen tools. The company was founded in 1889 and is headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska. Berkshire Hathaway, Inc. acquired Business Wire in March 2006.



BRKA hits all-time high....who wants to buy some shares? ;)

BRK.b also hit new highs and is alot more affordable for those that can't buy partial shares!

TraderStar

"Who wants to buy some shares?"

Me, me!!  I'll take 5000 ...

Oh wait, um ... maybe not.... <grin>

I heard on CNBC the other day that GOOG does not ever plan to split, that they want to one day become another BRKA ... I wonder if they could pull it off... and if so maybe if they fall much below 500 in next market correction (which should be bigger than last week) would be worthwhile getting a few shares for the long haul .... any thoughts?



bjc

GOOG's market capitalization is already $150 billion.  I guess it's feasible, but I have a hard time understanding how GOOG's market cap could ever reach $1 trillion.  I suppose..why not? 

But then Google's stock price would still only be 3,000.  I just don't know if you'll really see a big time multi-bagger in GOOG like you're suggesting.

It's probably a decent investment, though. 

By the way, at a share price of 120k, BRK.A's market cap. is about $180 billion. 

TraderStar

QuoteGOOG's market capitalization is already $150 billion.  I guess it's feasible, but I have a hard time understanding how GOOG's market cap could ever reach $1 trillion.  I suppose..why not? 

Any company that can make itself a verb within 3 years ... can probably pull off just about anything  ;D
Anyway, just repeating something I heard on CNBC, not always the best source of useful financial information  ::)

la-onda

 ;)
Berkshire Hathaway "neutral," target price raised

Thursday, August 23, 2007 1:36:26 PM ET
Credit Suisse

NEW YORK, August 23 (newratings.com) - Analysts at Credit Suisse maintain their "neutral" rating on Berkshire Hathaway Inc (BRK.A.NYS), while raising their estimates for the company. The 12-month target price has been raised from $11,0000 to $11,5000.

In a research note published this morning, the analysts mention that the company has posted 22% operating earnings growth for 2Q due to higher-than-expected investment income and a rise in non-insurance earnings. Berkshire Hathaway continues to acquire equities in order to increase concentration of equities in its insurance investment portfolio due to a potential rise in interest rates and continued strength in the equity markets. The operating EPS estimate for 2007 has been raised from $5,800 to $5,850 to reflect higher-than-anticipated profit margins at the insurance businesses.

mitchjas

Ok - that's interesting.  Last time I glanced at that stock it was I think somewhere around 85,000/share.  Geez!  I thought GOOG was high pps. 

So, does anyone on this board own even a single share of BRKA??

How does the saying go:  "Too rich for my blood!"    ;D

bjc

Yes, I agree you can't doubt Google, but lets get real. 

There isn't even a company with a market cap of half a trillion right now..let alone multiple trillions.  It's just ignorant and crazy, if you ask me.  Again, though, I'm saying nothing negative about GOOG.  I can see some value creeping in there with the explosive growth still intact.  40 is not a high PE for GOOG.

Terliso

Man, the breakout was indeed valid. I could have banked $32,000 if I bought 1 share of BRKA on the breakout..... he he he he... ;D