3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

Etrade Global Trading

Started by tokyopua, August 18, 2007, 12:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tokyopua

So it took em long enough, but I now have a spiffy new Etrade Global Trading account.

Hmmm, Japan down 5.4% yesterday... might be some good bargains over there, anyone have any ideas???????  ;) ;D >:D
Chance favors the prepared mind

BigSully1

#1
Hmm, I don't know Tokyo. I've only dealt with ADR's traded on the US exchanges, and only a few of those come to mind for Japan, SNE,FUJI,CAJ, IIJI,etc. Hmm. I should  take a closer look at IIJI. You might have an edge with your global trading account if you can get enough info to do your DD..

There are a whole lot of US exchange traded Latin American ADR's, I mentioned some other thread I have a whole portfolio of LT holdings in them. Even though thery are down much the last few weeks, they are still up considerably for the year and have been serious overperformers the last 44 months for me. (I'm talking like 350% on average overall for  the whole 44 months or around 50%/year. Plus most pay very healthy dividends.

I think if a person believes that a US economic slowdown (or even recession) won't seriously damage the global economic boom (I don't), then Latin America is still a very good place to park some funds, IMO. Not real sure about Japan though.

If anyone interested, I can post the list of what I'm holding, the country, the sector, etc.
It's a very diversified Lat Am. port. of 24 ADR's, all large cap value/growth mix. Mexico,Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Panama, Peru, etc.


bourbonstreet_crawdaddy

Quote from: BigSully1 on August 18, 2007, 07:33:39 PM
Hmm, I don't know Tokyo. I've only dealt with ADR's traded on the US exchanges, and only a few of those come to mind for Japan, SNE,FUJI,CAJ, IIJI,etc. Hmm. I should  take a closer look at IIJI. You might have an edge with your global trading account if you can get enough info to do your DD..

There are a whole lot of US exchange traded Latin American ADR's, I mentioned some other thread I have a whole portfolio of LT holdings in them. Even though thery are down much the last few weeks, they are still up considerably for the year and have been serious overperformers the last 44 months for me. (I'm talking like 350% on average overall for  the whole 44 months or around 50%/year. Plus most pay very healthy dividends.

I think if a person believes that a US economic slowdown (or even recession) won't seriously damage the global economic boom (I don't), then Latin America is still a very good place to park some funds, IMO. Not real sure about Japan though.

If anyone interested, I can post the list of what I'm holding, the country, the sector, etc.
It's a very diversified Lat Am. port. of 24 ADR's, all large cap value/growth mix. Mexico,Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Panama, Peru, etc.



Hi BigSully1,

I am very interested in diversifying into different markets like Latin America, Europe, and Asia. Right now, my portfolio consists of only US stocks, but I believe that the next couple of years will see these 3 markets double or more, and I would like to get in on the action.

Can you share with me any of your holdings in these 3 profit powerhouses? I have read a lot of your posts on the various boards here, and I am very impressed with your knowledge and timing with your investments. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and hopefully I can share something interesting and profitable with you in the future as well.

I read about a company that looks promising, but I have not invested in. If you get a couple minutes, maybe you can take a look at ERFW.OB, and let me know what you think. It looks like it could be a baby NVTL, since sales are booming, but it has yet to reach profitability.

Thanks,

Bourbon   ;D

BigSully1

Quote from: bourbonstreet_crawdaddy on August 30, 2007, 03:49:52 PM
Quote from: BigSully1 on August 18, 2007, 07:33:39 PM
Hmm, I don't know Tokyo. I've only dealt with ADR's traded on the US exchanges, and only a few of those come to mind for Japan, SNE,FUJI,CAJ, IIJI,etc. Hmm. I should  take a closer look at IIJI. You might have an edge with your global trading account if you can get enough info to do your DD..

There are a whole lot of US exchange traded Latin American ADR's, I mentioned some other thread I have a whole portfolio of LT holdings in them. Even though thery are down much the last few weeks, they are still up considerably for the year and have been serious overperformers the last 44 months for me. (I'm talking like 350% on average overall for  the whole 44 months or around 50%/year. Plus most pay very healthy dividends.

I think if a person believes that a US economic slowdown (or even recession) won't seriously damage the global economic boom (I don't), then Latin America is still a very good place to park some funds, IMO. Not real sure about Japan though.

If anyone interested, I can post the list of what I'm holding, the country, the sector, etc.
It's a very diversified Lat Am. port. of 24 ADR's, all large cap value/growth mix. Mexico,Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Panama, Peru, etc.



Hi BigSully1,

I am very interested in diversifying into different markets like Latin America, Europe, and Asia. Right now, my portfolio consists of only US stocks, but I believe that the next couple of years will see these 3 markets double or more, and I would like to get in on the action.

Can you share with me any of your holdings in these 3 profit powerhouses? I have read a lot of your posts on the various boards here, and I am very impressed with your knowledge and timing with your investments. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and hopefully I can share something interesting and profitable with you in the future as well.

I read about a company that looks promising, but I have not invested in. If you get a couple minutes, maybe you can take a look at ERFW.OB, and let me know what you think. It looks like it could be a baby NVTL, since sales are booming, but it has yet to reach profitability.

Thanks,

Bourbon   ;D

Bourbon, for Latin America, you could just take the easy way out and just buy ILF - ishares Latin America, but I  believe you can beat it's performance significantly with a little extra work. Here are my Latin American holdings;

Brewers/beverages     Telco/wireless     Banks/Finance     Ind. goods/materials     Electric/Utilities
__________________________________________________________________________________
ABV Brazil                    AMX Mexico           BAP Peru              CX (cement) Mexico      EOC Chile/other S.A.
FMX Mexico                  TEO Argentina       BBD Brazil                 
LQU S.A.                       TSP Brazil             CIB Columbia         
                                                                 ITU Brazil         
                                                                 UBB Brazil


Steel/iron                 Airlines                  Ind./const/energy              Oil/gas                 Meat Products
__________________________________________________________________________________
GGB Brazil          LFL Chile/other S.A.      MDR-see note                PBR Brazil                 SDA Brazil
RIO Brazil                                                                                                                      PDA Brazil
SID Brazil           
TS   S.A.
SIM Mexico

Mining                                                     Broadcast/TV
_______________________________________
PCU (copper)Peru/Mex/Chile                       TV Mexico
SQM Mining (ag chem) Chile


I would take some caution on the banks right now, even though they have been some of the very best performers, with one of them top performer. I don't know the extent of US subprime/mortgage exposure, if any. I added very significantly to SDA (meat producer) on the recent selloff at very good price I was waiting for. Just recently (last week) China made deal with SFD Smithmield for 60M lbs of pork, causing pork futures to surge. Meat products/food is in high need/demand in China and is where most of their inflationary problems are coming from. China/Asia imports alot of meat from Brazil. Bullish on SDA, maybe on PDA. Read SDA last ER. As for MDR, this is actually a US corporation with vast operations in Latin America, amongst other places, something like 22 countries altogether. MDR another top performer over the years, and still is. Very bullish on MDR. A couple others are also actually US comp. like PCU.

I prefer to take the easy way on China with PGJ Powershares Golden Dragon Halter. I started a thread on it the other day showing their top 10 holdings, etc. Great holdings, like ACH, CHL, LFC etc. Their top ten holdings comprise over 50% of the portfolio. excellent performance. I doubt I could beat it by much by picking myself. I only occaisonally take individual investments in Chinese companies, although I'm currently holding some GIGM and AOB, I consider them much riskier.

I only have indirect holdings in Europe. I would look for an ETF. I don't know if Powershares has a Europe fund or individual European country ETF's, like Russia, but they do have a whole slew of excellent ETF's.

As for the penny stocks, I almost never fool with them. Sorry, I won't even try to evaluate it. I can only remember buying maybe 7 to 8 of them in my life. TRLG.ob, now TRLG, worked out very nice, still holding some. AOBO.ob, now AOB worked nice, still holding some. MDPA.ob, now MDF, did OK still holding a little. The others I can't even remember what they were, probably because I lost my ass on them. Good Luck with ERFW.

BigSully1

Bourbon, Powershares does have some European ETF's. Here is a complete list of all to choose from. Areas, countries, sectors, specialties, etc.

http://www.powershares.com/onlineproductinfo.aspx

They don't have a dedicated Latin Amer ETF, but they do have BLDRS Emerging Markets - ADRE
that includes some Latin America exposure along with Asian and others. I like the powershares much better than ishares or others.

I think it wise of you to want to diversify beyond U.S. as long as you don't overdo it.

bourbonstreet_crawdaddy

Thanks A Ton BigSully1,

That is some terrific information for me to take in this weekend....

My best to you, and may all your trades be profitable!

Bourbon   ;)