3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

CFC

Started by ChargerMike, December 07, 2007, 06:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerMike

CFC
CFC..Countrywide Funding...picked some up at $9.50, my broker friend said it was the dumbest buy he's ever heard..said they would go BK. I'm thinking just the opposite, that at this price they might be ripe for a buy out by someone like BofA. The stock hit $12.00 yesterday and dropped just a skosh today.
Any thoughts?

nutsterrt

As you probably gathered from today's action, consider any gain in anything housing-related to be a gift.  Take profits often.  Personally, I'm in the bankruptcy camp, and the longer the Fed drags out its bailout, the survival of Countrywide becomes less and less likely. 

Good luck to ya!

Lucas Scott

I like CFC here at what may be a double-bottom. Stop out below 8.50 so risk is 5%.

From the Businessweek year-end "Where To Invest" issue: "At a recent market value of $5.4B, the nation's No. 1 lender trades at a 60% discount to its book value - a sign the stock may be a good buy"....... "If history is any indication, the payoff could be huge. In 1990, last major downturn in the sector, financials fell 13% amid a recession. But the sector quickly rebounded the next year, returning 40%.

GO IN THAT HOUSE OF PAIN THAT YOU SEEM TO WANT TO BE IN, BUT GET AWAY FROM ME.  I'M TRYING TO WORK, DAMMIT.

Lucas Scott

In at 9.01. CFC held up despite the market selloff, gaining six cents. Maybe no sellers are left. I'm out if it goes below 8.50. Otherwise I expect a retest of $12.
GO IN THAT HOUSE OF PAIN THAT YOU SEEM TO WANT TO BE IN, BUT GET AWAY FROM ME.  I'M TRYING TO WORK, DAMMIT.

Lucas Scott

Lest anyone think I'm still holding this and on a ledge somewhere looking to jump >:D, I sold at 8.43 on 1/6, as per my trading plan to stop out below $8.50
GO IN THAT HOUSE OF PAIN THAT YOU SEEM TO WANT TO BE IN, BUT GET AWAY FROM ME.  I'M TRYING TO WORK, DAMMIT.

Stocky2000

this stock is not for holding overnight ....more likely for daytrading....until dust settles in the next 10months i wouldn t go long or short here....

BigSully1

Holy Scmoly!

Bank of America in talks to buy Countrywide: report

By Sue Chang
Last update: 2:32 p.m. EST Jan. 10, 2008Print  RSS Disable Live Quotes

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) - Bank of America Corp. (BAC:bank of america corporation com
News, chart, profile, more
Last: 39.31+0.57+1.47%

3:58pm 01/10/2008

Delayed quote dataAdd to portfolio
Analyst
Create alertInsider
Discuss
Financials
Sponsored by:
BAC 39.31, +0.57, +1.5%) is in advanced talks to buy Countrywide Financial Corp. (CFC:Countrywide Financial Corp
News, chart, profile, more
Last: 7.88+2.75+53.61%

3:58pm 01/10/2008

Delayed quote dataAdd to portfolio
Analyst
Create alertInsider
Discuss
Financials
Sponsored by:
CFC 7.88, +2.75, +53.6%) , The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday on its Web site, citing people familiar with the situation. The newspaper said it is not clear how quickly a deal might be struck but if it happens, it is likely to close very soon. However, it also noted that talks could fall apart altogether. Shares of Countrywide Financial surged 7.42% to $5.50 a share.