3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

How to find a 10 bag stock

Started by shawFund, August 07, 2005, 02:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawFund

Hi, everybody!!

I would like to initiaze a new topic as how to find a 10 bag stock. It is not for day trade, it is for long term investment.

I would like to contribute s little first and hope to get more response from others.

Based on my research, the best way to find 10-bags is to follow the follwing steps:

1. Scan the universe of stocks which has the biggest volume increase and the stock break out from a long flat base; the stock price should be below $5.00 (better between $0.5-$2)
before the break-out.

2. Check the reason behind the break-out. If this is due to the
   a). company's financial improvement (from long loss to a profit), or
   b). new unique product, or big insider buying, or
   c). new management team with good tracking record,

   put it into watching list and look for entry point.

Examples:

   a). China's Internet stocks: SINA, SOHU .. - aug 2002 all started their first profitable quarter at that time ($2.00 -> $45).
        FORD - dec 2004 ($2.75->$27.5)
        XWG - aug 2004 ($0.90 -> $15)
        BOOM - nov 2004 ($3.5 -> $45)

   b). AAPL - aug 2004 ($15 -> $45) iPod
        TASR - march 2003 ($0.30 -> $30) stun gun

   c). SCON - feb 2005 ($0.37 -> $1.1) new CEO and Sales VP

   ...

   Only improved fundamentals can have long lasting gains on the investment.

   If the gains have no fundamental support, it is short lived and you cannot sleep well when holding those stocks.

   Hope that you can identify some of them and for a big gain.



   
       

catrader

what's considered a volume breakout?  Is it supposed to keep greater volume for a time?  If it dips in volume to below move, is that bad?  Maybe I can post charts later  on with the ones you listed to see better.  good topic for discussion.

shawFund

I would like to post the first stock I will take a position: MIVA at $6.30.

I am not expecting it will give me 10-bag return. Hope it to bring me 100% return within 1 year or 50% return within 6 months or 25% in 3 month, etc.

But I will not sell until it gained at least 50% which is its current book value.

Technically, after 50% gain in three days, it pulled back at support of $5.85 then rebounde.

Earning release: Next Monday.




shawFund

My second pick is SYNA at $15.80.

Although it has very strong support at around $14-$15.00, I am afraid that the stock may not go that low.

So, trading stratery: take small position at $15.80 and double it if it goes down further to $14.

Exit: short term resistance at $18, next $20.

If I can achieve even only 10% gain within one month, that is componded 300% in a year.

SYNA is a well run company and the quick down is an over-reaction and should bounce back.

Let us see whether I am right on this one.

daldrich

  I believe those parameters work with penny stocks as well but I am interested in what the different search parameters are to find a stock that is flat line to a sudden volume increase. The stocks that are going to see 10 bag plus returns are probably priced lower like the examples you mentioned.  Apple wasn't a 10 bagger but still worth the time.
  The searches I use look at volume increases over a quarter to quarter basis but I would like to detect a sudden one day increase after quarters of flat line.

nikao

just find biopharma stocks wich have a very high chance of getting their medicin approved ..
(GTCB for example) it's a bit risky.. (if it's not approved.. down the drain) but hey..no high rewards without risk ;)

Jasssie

Hello Nikao!

I also think that GTCB can be a 10-bagger. Experts know that GTCB has a high chance to get Atryn approved, but investors still don't. :o When the moment of the approval is there (95% chance I think) there will be a huge explosion... 

A nice opportunity to make money and that's what we want ;)

Stock Price: 1.77 at this moment.

Have a nice day! ;D


Jasssie

Se7en

When will the approval be or not be? coming weeks, months, ...?
Així és la Catalunya, així és el Barça! Mès que un club!!!

Jasssie

I expect the approval mid-september.

shawFund

I would like to post my third pick:

BRCDE at $4.09 (today's range $3.99-$4.14). Short term target: $6.00 (6 months), long term target: $8.00 (12 months).

This is not a 10-bag stock either but with low risk and good expected return within one year, I am willing to give it a try.

In the mean time, I am still  trying to look possible 10-bag stocks.


shawFund

Update on my three picks:

1. MIVA released its 2005 2nd quarter earnings today. Rev 48.8 mill. It also settled down patent case with Yahoo. Guided whole year revenue higher but EPS uncertain. Still maintin end-year price target $9-$10;

2. SYNA has gained 5% since my buying point of $15.80 and I believe that it will continue its steady bounce from selloff.

3. BRCDE gained 3.4% from my buying point of $4.09. Short term target $6.00, long term target: $7.50. The revenue miss for current quarter is mainly due to its new 4G product roll out.


catrader


shawFund

Updating on my picks:

MIVA:

          It traded down to $5.30 after the company reported its earnings and I doubled my position and may double again if it downed further to $4.50-$4.75.

          MIVA is a turnaround play and a buy-out candidate. My holding period is one year for this stock and is seeking for a 100% return from this level. I did not use stop loss rule on this stock based on what I know about its fundamentals. But if I find otherwise later on, I may sell it and take a loss.

         So far I have never wrong on my picks for long term investment purpose.

         My fist pick on CCK: bought on 06/05/2001 at $5.01, doubled it on 08/09/2001 at $3.68 and doubled it again on 11/27/2001 at $1.10.

         It bottomed on 12/03/2001 at $0.83 and then reversed. It gained >1200% in 5 months to a high of around $12.0 but I sold it much earlier $5.30 (2/18/2002).

        Of course,  no matter how successful one was in the past, no one can be 100% certain he will be in the future. Only time will tell.

BRCDE:

        The stock has been trading in a very narrow range for almost 4 months. But the company's new 4G product is selling well and the company guided higher for its next quarter revenue. I will hold for at least a 50% gain.

In general, it will be a big success if a big fund can have >30% annual return year by year.
Let us find out whether those picks can give me what I wanted!! Stay tuned.

David's trading has achieved much better result so far. That is for sure. Learned some of his rules and his psych. Need to learn more.






FALCON64

i know this shouldn't be here but i dont know how to start i new thread. ??? anybody catch MDGN. up 200% at one point. this is a real company with a real product. does anyone have thoughts on this? thanx.

shawFund

#14
UPDATE on my three picks:

MIVA and BRCDE are still building the base and I still believe that it will gain at least 50% by the end of this year. In fact, I added my position on MIVA at $5.30.

SYNA is nearing short term target of $18.00. If it can break out the $18.00 resistance, it will go up to $20.00.

My other picks: AMD, RHAT are also doing well. See my analysis on Stock Picking thread.

Pay attention to SCON. It is going to fly again ($0.70->$1.40)