3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

MetaStock questions and problems

Started by nikao, August 14, 2005, 05:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikao

Im currently trying out MetaStock but I have some questions and problems...

How do you all get data into MetaStock? currently I don't have a datafeed so I download end of day data with easyStockDater. When I try to convert this data with the downloader of MetaStock, all it does is crash. So I downloaded the program Convert2MS. But when I try to convert the data with that program it tells me the date isn;t in the right format (while it is!)

So.. I finaly have MetaStock right now.. but can't use it because I have no data in it :( (not even historically)

How do you all use MetaStock and how do you get data for it?

David Randolph

Yes, that's a problem nikao. Me and Ramsburg, we have a Data Feeder, which is Reuters Data Link. It's a great and not expensive service.

The service updates all 15,000 US stock charts in a few minutes and gets the full data base of stock data back to 1980.

I'm not aware of how much it costs, but I find it a very valuable service. I believe yahoo.com lets you download the data on Metastock style, but I guess it has a lot of errors, I really don't know, since I use this Reuters Data Link service since 1999.

Say something if you need further help, in case you consider Data Link too expensive.

Have a nice day !

nikao

hi david, thx for your answer..

I know that the datalink from Reuters isn´t that expensive (25$/month or so) but I wanted to try metastock first out before i decide to use that with a datafeed instead of www.stockcharts.com

I will try to see if the yahoo data is any good.

hazy

buy the shareware MLDOWNLOADER
http://www.trading-tools.com/
60$
no problem with metastock


nikao

Quote from: hazy on August 14, 2005, 06:08:50 PM
buy the shareware MLDOWNLOADER
http://www.trading-tools.com/
60$
no problem with metastock



thx for the tip.. I will look into it

nikao

I downloaded data from Yahoo!.. but that´s in csv format (exactly the same format I get when I use easyStockDater). The downloader from MetaStock doesnt convert this format? (it either gives me errors.. or else the program just dissapears)

When I try to convert it with the program i downloaded (Convert2MS) It's complaining about the dateformat...

pls help!

nikao

yhx hazy for the tip of MLDownloader..

I tried it and it seems to work..

But only with getting the current data.. If i try to download historical data it all goes well.. but MetaStock is again complaining about dateformat.. and the file seems empty..
If i try to dowload the current data is goes downloading data for the missing days... it does using 4 or 5 streams.. but every time the streams get stuck on the same stocks.. and the program is then just sitting there and I have to cancel (and it doens't save the data he already got!! grrr... )

Anyone familiar with this problem?...

Im so close in finally using MetaStock.......;)

hazy

hello
in mldownloader /DOWNLOAD/OPTIONS/
check metastock format

before portfolio /add group (directory)
then edit symbol list
import your metastock directory
save the list -give a name ex techno.mld
create 1 list per metastock directory
under portfolio group add your created  list

you can see a tree with all the list  mld files
CLICK ON THE GROUP
then download/GET QUOTES
check historical data
server yahoo worlwide
daily

start /end date
then download

ALL THE SYMBOLS UNDER THE GROUP (all lists are dowloaded , perfectly, and
free)
viva mldownloader



nikao

thx for your help hazy (applaud)
will try it out tonight when I get home :)


Melf Elf

Sorry that you're having problems, Nikao.  That's frustrating.   >:(

I can't help you with any of that technical stuff, but you might try this:

1. Click on Help on your Metastock toolbar. 
2. Put your cursor on the third line down, "Equis on the Web." 
3. A drop down menu will appear.  Click on Equis Homepage
4. After that loads, scroll down a little bit, and on the right side of the page, you'll see:
   "Questions? Click here to chat with us live."

I haven't tried chat for several years, but I seem to remember that they were very helpful.

If you want to call Metastock, the number I have is 801-265-9998, but I haven't called it since we had Y2K problems, and had to get new software.  I spoke with Stephany, who was a big help.  She goes to lunch between 2-3PM Mountain Time USA (if she still works there).

Right now is 11:32AM Eastern Time, so it's now 9:32AM Mountain Time.   It's not a toll free number, so you'll have to pay for the call.

I use Reuters Data Link.  It's $34.95 a month.  Their number is toll free: 800-882-3040 on my bill, but I also have 800-842-3045 if that number doesn't work.

Good luck!

nikao

thx melf.. but Im almost there....

one more thing with MLDownloader;

It's working now.. I created a portfolio and a symbol list, I downloaded the quotes for today and downloaded the historical data. Everything worked fine, the downloader tells me its downloading a certain amount of KB\s without errors.. but I can't seem to see this historical data anywhere?!! If I check the quotes in my portfolio there's only todays data... so I stil don't have the historical data .. (well.. I have..but can't find them :P )... please help (one more time?)

hazy

hellou
open mldownloader
double click on the list  ex  mylist.mld 
the downloaded securities are stored in the directory indicated
under "metastock directory"

if this directory is different as your habitual metastock directory you
must:

1 ) go with metastock in the "metastock directory" and open the securities
or
2)or change the "metastock directory" in mldownloader with your habitual metastock directory and make a new download:
get quotes/ CHECK download historical download
choose startdate and end date


hope this help

nikao

but i should see the data in MLDownloader when I click on a security right? Cause there only the data of yesterday is shown..

hazy

mldownloader
when you click on the list
you must see all the download  securities
when you click on a security, you must see all the data of the security
i can not understand your problem
what data are you downloading?

create a new list with one securitie ex BCON
and download  (select historical)

nikao

Quote from: hazy on August 17, 2005, 08:49:38 AM
mldownloader
when you click on the list
you must see all the download  securities
when you click on a security, you must see all the data of the security
i can not understand your problem
what data are you downloading?

create a new list with one securitie ex BCON
and download  (select historical)

that is exactly what I'm doing. I made a test list with RITA, GTCB, PETS and WSTL in it.
I pressed F5 and the program got the data. Then I hit Ctrl+D and downloaded historical data (checked the box) for the list (selected that in this window), the program then indicates it downloaded the data succesfully. If i click on the security in the list though.. I don't see the historical data...

I will try to make a new list, download historical data first to see if that will work as soon as I get home (in a few hours..)

thx for all the help so far ;)