3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

"New energy or renewable energy companies?"

Started by john b mcginnis, September 29, 2005, 08:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john b mcginnis

I've been looking for web sites to find developmental "New energy or renewable energy companies". I believe new or renewable energy could be HOT in the future given the recent problems/price of petroleum. I have found a some companies. Does anyone have a web site that would be a good source to search this industry? Or, any suggestions on individual Small Cap Companies for DD and research?

Thanks  John
John

cumulina

Hi, John.

Here is a starter-kit.  ;)

http://www.sustainablebusiness.com/stocks/index.cfm#Wind

http://www.renewableenergy.com/

http://www.ecobusinesslinks.com/default.htm

http://www.solarbuzz.com/index.asp

http://www.cleanedge.com/CEindex.php

http://www.eco-web.com/cgi-local/sfc?a=/index/index.html&b=/register/05311.html

http://www.emptywells.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=index

That should keep you busy over the weekend  ;D
If you want more links, just ask...

I have been following (and at times owning) several A/E stock, and I'm kicking myself for not having ENER and ESLR at the moment.

Good luck with your studies. I hope you'll post the goodies you find.
Happy trading...

:)

Cumulina.

john b mcginnis

 Thanks cumulina, I will be busy this weekend with the links you gave me. And, I'll post what I find, I strongly believe "New" energy Will emerge in the future.
John

robt

Be sure to take a close look at DESC, they have long been the "best of breed" in alternative energy. They are primarily in "distributed energy," but they have hands in wind, hydrogen and solar, which all have a part in their distributed energy systems.

Expected to be in the black soon, which sets it apart from the vast majority.
If you must smite, post why so I can improve myself.

john b mcginnis

Hi robt,

DESC is on my watch list. Got in this one @ 5.99 and out @ 7.86 , wish I would have held on a little longer. I do like this Company!!

Thanks and happy trading.
John

robt

#5
Another energy company I've done well with is KFX, which has a "clean coal" process finally reaching production stage after 20 years(!).

The process is claimed to give coal greater burning efficiency while greatly reducing mercury, sulpheric and nitrous emissions, making cheap, abundant subbituminous coal and lignite the equivalent of rarer high-grade coals at a lower price.

All the previous false starts have generated a huge amount of short interest, people betting that history will repeat, but DD indicates that many key factors here are very different. As the commercial plant is currently in a pre-production commissioning and testing phase, the stock is currently heading for new highs, while getting knocked back down by shorts and profit-taking.

It's a "yes-no" proposition at this point -- the plant and product will work or not. But the upside potential is inestimable. 50% of our grid electricity is from coal, so no renewable can replace all that in any near term. KFX's product, called "K-Fuel," makes any coal-burning plant cleaner immediately, with no retrofits or associated costs. And, if  a plant has already been fitted with emissions-removing equipment, K-Fuel makes it even cleaner.

The recent energy bill includes a $5/ton tax credit for clean coal plants built by2009.

The following link leads to a series of Yahoo message board posts that lay out all the upside arguments for KFX:

http://tinyurl.com/cxjuh

The downside are a bunch of "maybes" -- maybe the process doesn't work, maybe the coal self-combusts in transport (KFX assures us it doesn't, maybe they are wrong oor dissembling), maybe KFX will dilute to grow faster (not necessarily a bad thing if it makes investors rich faster), etcetera.

One argument made against KFX that seems at first to hold water is that the process is old (first developed in the 60s) and so is the patent. But the process has been refined over the years, and new patents filed for these changes. 

Another questionable matter involves stock manipulation -- the CEO was caught "marking the close" on KFX (seems he was inflating the price to avoid margin calls on his own Kfx holdings, not to fool investors) and was fined by the SEC, and some questionable related party transactions. The parties responsible are still with the company.

Pessimism and optimism have alternatively held sway for KFX, so it's been a great "swing trade" stock, but I expect those days will soon be gone; as I said, it's "yes/no" time -- BK or to the heights.

Coal is by no means a renewable, nor is "clean coal" clean in the way that solar, wind or even nuke are. But the real advantage here is that "clean coal" will implement immediately. If KFX makes anyone rich, it will do so in the near term.

KFX reached an all-time high of 18.48 on August 15, due to progress reports that accompanied their quarterly filings.. It's been flirting with that top on Thursday, and closed Friday at 17.11.

Three analysts recently initiated:

27-Sep-05 Pacific Growth Equities Initiated Over Weight
30-Jun-05 Stanford Research Initiated Buy
1-Jul-02 Jefferies & Co Initiated Buy

A cautious article in Barron's, and continued short attacks have prevented all the good news from being priced in.

Of 66 million shares, institutions hold 63%, insiders 11%. Does not leave a lot of wiggle room for the shorts if/when it takes off.

9/29 KFX held a conference call just to update stockholders on their progress toward production. The conference call had an almost "party" atmosphere, it seemed to me that these guys seem to know they are going to win.

Listen here:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=80446&p=irol-IRHome

Use your own judgement, of course -- nothing is without risk.
If you must smite, post why so I can improve myself.

robt

I hope somebody benefited fro the above! Arch Coal has just sealed a deal to partner with KFX on a coal processing plant - 8 million tons a year, going online by end of 2008. This is in adition to KFX's currently commisioning plant.

KFX is boosting up bigtime and I expect this boost will stick!

If you must smite, post why so I can improve myself.

cumulina

Hmmm, robt.

I'm looking at it, but in order to buy, I would have to sell one of my loosers :(

I know that the new energy-plan was mentioning "clean coal" - a term that to me seems ridiculous...pardon the expression...so as it have the "blessing" from the government, it'll probably do fine.

+12% up today is wonderful on an otherwise dismal day.

Congrats.  ;)
Happy trading...

:)

Cumulina.

robt

The 12% has turned into 9% at this point, but I'll take it!

Of course the big money won't be made until "K-Fuel" reachs the market...assuming it does (shorts still argue that it won't, of course.)

I know "clean coal" isn't clean the way solar and wind are. But half the electrical energy in our grid is already from coal, so cleaner-burning coal will at least be an improvement.
If you must smite, post why so I can improve myself.

setravis



• KFx Announces Plans to Build an 8 Million Ton Per Year K-Fuel(TM) Plant to Deliver Enhanced, Cleaner-Burning Coal
PR Newswire (Thu 9:27am) 


bizjournals.com
Arch Coal, KFx team up to build new coal plant
Thursday October 6, 11:06 am ET


Arch Coal and KFx Inc. agreed to build and operate an 8 million ton per year plant to delivery cleaner-burning coal, the companies said Thursday.
Denver, Colo.-based KFx will be responsible for financing, constructing and operating the plant, which is located next to to Arch's Coal Creek Mine pit in the Powder River Basin in Wyoming. The companies expect the plant to be in operation by the end of 2008, and Arch is also evaluating a potential re-start of the Coal Creek mine, which has been idle since 2000.

As part of the agreement, Arch entered a stock purchase and warrant agreement to increase its interest in KFx. Under the terms, Arch will purchase an additional $3 million worth of KFx's common stock with the right to purchase an additional $7 million.

The companies also completed a surface access and use agreement that gives KFx the right to access certain land at Arch's Coal Creek Mine.

KFx Inc. (AMEX: KFX - News) provides solutions to help coal-burning facilities economically increase energy production while meeting emissions standards.

St. Louis-based Arch Coal Inc. (NYSE: ACI - News) is one of the largest coal producers in the country, providing the fuel for about 7 percent of the electricity generated in the United States.

Published October 6, 2005 by the St. Louis Business Journal


"Success loves to hide behind challenges.
Embrace the challenge, enjoy the journey."

Do your own DD and invest based on your DD, not mine !

Semper Fi
S.E.Travis

setravis

No wonder this thread is hard to find.
It just has a Heading.....No ticker symbol !

Technicals
Close Above the 50-day EMA
Close Above the 13-day EMA
Most Actives
Stochastic - Bullish
Percentage Gainer

Last Price Quote is:
3.12%above 13-day EMA
4.84%above 50-day EMA
RS Rating: 81 

A good looking chart.Looks ready to rock on......Looking to buy!
"Success loves to hide behind challenges.
Embrace the challenge, enjoy the journey."

Do your own DD and invest based on your DD, not mine !

Semper Fi
S.E.Travis