3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

How to find hot sectors

Started by Leaira, November 08, 2005, 07:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leaira

I'm new to stock trading, and I'm interested in how you know which sectors are hot and which are weak?  Which websites will tell you updated information like that?

Thanks,
Leaira

SmartWrasse

That is a good question.  Here is a link on MSN that I check at times, but there must be something even better. 

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/market/secind.asp

I am not a fan of the huge number of sectors listed in IBD.

fous

Hey Leaira,

When im looking to scan what industries are on the move. I look to marketwatch.com. They provide an industry analyser which shows the top 10 performing industries and the top 10 worst performing industries. It also lets you select the timeframe for wich you want to analyze the industries by. Though these are not complete sectors, they are subcategories of sectors, so it's even better because you can minimize the amount of searching you have to do. If you are not a registered user of marketwatch.com i suggest you do so. It's a great site with alot of good investor tools.

Link to the industry analyzer:http://www.marketwatch.com/tools/industry/default.asp?bcind_compidx=&bcind_period=3mo

Hope this is of any help Leaira, Good luck on your trading  :)

-fousc

And here is a screen shot of what it gives you:
trade it like you mean it!

akclide

Also You can simply look in Yahoo finance.Home page left side.Indices gives you performance on indices for the day and clicking on Industry will give you the performance for all the industry.