3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

News:

Welcome to 3StocksOnFire! US stock trading community (2005-2010) with 451+ documented trades and 15,000+ members. View Portfolios | Stock Articles | Quotes

Main Menu

GNA

Started by David Randolph, February 24, 2006, 05:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Randolph

GNA
GNA made a new all time high yesterday, on volume above average. This is a $2.49B market cap, so somewhat conservative.

I love the chart on all time frames and that's enough for me to buy the stock.

However, GNA also seems cheap on a superficial fundamental analysis. It had net income of $0.97 in 2005, so the trailing earnings multiple is 8.34. Also, the revenue multiple is 0.64, as the company sold $3.9B in 2005.

The company pays dividends, but it wasn't rising because of a dividend:

«On February 7, 2006, the Board of Directors approved a quarterly cash dividend of $0.02 (two US$ cents) per common share, payable March 9, 2006 to shareholders of record at the close of business on February 22, 2006. In addition to the regular quarterly dividend, the Board of Directors also approved a special dividend of $0.22 per share on the same payment and record date.»

The company is a steel producer, and this group of stocks is in a long term bull market.

I'll buy 6.66% of capital in GNA's shares around today's open.

la-onda

fyi:
1)
GNA: KeyBnc/McDonald Ups to Aggressive Buy from Buy; Ups Tgt to $10 vs $9; Analyst Notes
Thursday , February 09, 2006 08:52 ET
Issuer: Gerdau Ameristeel Corp (NYSE: GNA)
Analyst Firm:  KeyBanc Capital Markets/McDonald
Ratings Action: UPGRADE
Current Rating: Aggressive Buy (from Buy)
Target Price Action: INCREASE
Target Price: $10.00 (+11.11% from $9.00)
Analyst Comments: The firm raised its recommendation citing positive earnings surprise, strengthening end markets, better execution, and valuation.
2)
GNA: Short Interest UP 132.7% to 840.1K in Feb 2006
Wednesday, February 22, 2006 17:50 ET
According to new short interest data from NYSE, short interest for Gerdau Ameristeel Corp (NYSE: GNA) INCREASED 132.7% to 840,060 shares for the month ended mid-February, 2006.

SYMBOL       JANUARY        FEBRUARY          CHANGE       %CHANGE     DAYS/COVER
--------   -------------   -------------   -------------  ------------  ----------
GNA              361,053         840,060        +479,007      +132.67%           2

Based on GNA's 20-day average daily share volume of 648,935, it would require approximately 2 day(s) of buying to cover this short interest.

fous

#2
QuoteNice pick Dave, i like this company a lot, i used to have a position in at 7 and then got stopped out on that crazy hammer candle that occurred a couple weeks ago on earnings.

Yes, intraday stops are a bad way to protect risk, I prefer to use stops on close.

QuoteA little bit more on this company on my thread in the stock picking board: http://www.3stocksonfire.org/trading/index.php?topic=4402.0

I'm glad you furnished this link, since I have little time today (my internet connection was down early in the morning) to update stocks, users will most likely find interesting information on your thread.

I just feel the stock had a day of pause on Friday, but the trend is bullish and it will resume shortly.

trade it like you mean it!

David Randolph

Damn it, instead of writing a new message, I was editing fous's message. Sorry  ::)

«
QuoteNice pick Dave, i like this company a lot, i used to have a position in at 7 and then got stopped out on that crazy hammer candle that occurred a couple weeks ago on earnings.

Yes, intraday stops are a bad way to protect risk, I prefer to use stops on close.

QuoteA little bit more on this company on my thread in the stock picking board: http://www.3stocksonfire.org/trading/index.php?topic=4402.0

I'm glad you furnished this link, since I have little time today (my internet connection was down early in the morning) to update stocks, users will most likely find interesting information on your thread.

I just feel the stock had a day of pause on Friday, but the trend is bullish and it will resume shortly.»


fous

Quote from: David Randolph on February 27, 2006, 07:09:28 AM
Damn it, instead of writing a new message, I was editing fous's message. Sorry  ::)

Lol i was so confused reading my thread that you edited, I was like when the hell did i write this??

-fous
trade it like you mean it!

lana2b

Hi, David

Didn't know where to post better

Can you take a look on BMD fundamentals, please

Since may  to dec 2005 they up 500%. Last two month down 20%( due n.gas down 50%)
Last two day - up, but low vol. When n.gas prices stabilize- somewhere should be a good entry
Of course, if you say YES to FA

From Yahoo news

QuoteBirch Mountain Resources (amex: BMD - news - people )-- Buy: Birch Mountain has expanded mineral mining rights in Alberta, where the "oil sands" are being mined. The company has enlarged lime-producing facilities, and further production additions include asphalt rock, lime and reagent-grade limestone products, which are key enablers in alternative and synthetic fuels. Although BMD increased nearly three-fold since the third quarter of 2005, expansion completion suggests that there is some strong upside potential based on Birch Mountain's ability to increase sales with the introduction of its new products.

Thanks

lana

peterwangos

IIIN,TS,ATI,GGB,IPS,HSVLY,OS,NUE,CMC,RIO,GNA,CRS,SID,PCP,SYNL,CGA,RESC,STLD,ZEUS,PKX,SHLO,NSS,ROCK,USAP,NX,MTLM,TXI,CLF,STTX,NWPX,MTL,WOR,MT,FRD,SIM,MEA,SCHN,AKS,TONS,WPSC

fous

Quote from: peterwangos on February 27, 2006, 11:37:01 PM
IIIN,TS,ATI,GGB,IPS,HSVLY,OS,NUE,CMC,RIO,GNA,CRS,SID,PCP,SYNL,CGA,RESC,STLD,ZEUS,PKX,SHLO,NSS,ROCK,USAP,NX,MTLM,TXI,CLF,STTX,NWPX,MTL,WOR,MT,FRD,SIM,MEA,SCHN,AKS,TONS,WPSC

Lol Peterwangos i dont know what your trying to say by posting all those symbols. But i don't really like the way you presented them by just listing like 20 of them and not saying a word about em. If you feel you have a good pick to present to the community, then do so on the public boards.

On GNA, made a nice rally today making a new all time high.

-fous
trade it like you mean it!

David Randolph

GNA is doing well and I'll continue holding it.

BMD's fundamentals Lana?

Ok, I'll write about the stock after the close, but this isn't the right place to put these questions (I know, I'm not paying enough attention to the Members Board either).

David Randolph

GNA is exactly the kind of stock that I'm looking for now: strong technical uptrend and low valuation.

No doubt GNA has a bullish chart.

The earnings multiple is 7.7.

I'll continue holding GNA.

David Randolph

Well Lana, I took a look at BMD's fundamentals and I don't find them attractive. I can't judge them , since the company has $542M in market cap, just 11 employees and zero revenues. Probably their properties are worth a lot, but the stock, for now ... I don't think so Lana.

Good luck anyway  :)

Going back to GNA, nice move yesterday. A good trade is profitable right from the start, so GNA is a good trade. I have to sit tight and let good trades develop.

I'll continue holding GNA.

lana2b

Hi, David

Thank you for BMD and sorry again for messing the thread - will not happen anymore

lana

David Randolph

Quote from: lana2b on March 02, 2006, 02:59:27 PM
Hi, David

Thank you for BMD and sorry again for messing the thread - will not happen anymore

lana

No problem Lana  :)

GNA is showing very strong volume today, as the bullish trend continues. There were no news today. I'll continue holding this cheap steel maker.

David Randolph

There were no news but GNA's stock price keeps on rising. Sometimes it is harder to sit tight when you're right than when you're wrong. I'm right on GNA, so I'll sit tight.

shawFund

Big news on IVAN this morning:

   IVAN has a successful run in heaviest oil covertion in its California facility.