3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

News:

Welcome to 3StocksOnFire! US stock trading community (2005-2010) with 451+ documented trades and 15,000+ members. View Portfolios | Stock Articles | Quotes

Main Menu

Trading and traveling in Asia

Started by bng129, March 05, 2006, 08:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bng129

Has anybody ever traded using their existing US accounts while in Asia (especially China)?  I plan to take a trip to China this summer and wondering where I stand if I need to place a trade.  Thanks!

-Brian

tokyopua

I traded for a week while on vacation in Japan using my etrade account.  I couldnt be awake for all hours of the market, but just enough so that I got myself out of a bad losing postion in NVAX right when it popped back up.  I had high speed internet access and that was all I needed, I just logged in as usual.

One thing I like about Etrade is this randomized password generator device I got from them (you have to request it and pay a small one time fee for it).  With this, I dont care about logging into my account at a hotel even on an unsecured Wi-Fi network, because my password changes every minute, so as long as I log out, pretty much there is no way anyone who might have sniffed my password can get into my account.

I would say at the very least you want to make sure you have a reliable internet connection.  If you stay at a US hotel chain you can pretty much guarantee that, for example at the Hyatt in Shanghai (though it is VERY expensive).  Just check around and make sure the place you are staying strikes a balance between low price and reliable internet service.  If you dont have a password randomizer and you are on an unsecured Wi-Fi network, you will want to change your password a few times here and there just in case IMO.

Hope that helps, good luck!
Chance favors the prepared mind

trajayb

I did trade while I was in India last year. The streaming will only work properly if you have a fast internet connection like broadband. The dialup is very very slow for online trading.

justastock

Quote from: bng129 on March 05, 2006, 08:19:56 PM
Has anybody ever traded using their existing US accounts while in Asia (especially China)?  I plan to take a trip to China this summer and wondering where I stand if I need to place a trade.  Thanks!

-Brian

I have not been to Asia, but I do plan on going very soon. I have a 2 friends that have mush ties with this country, one guy is married to a Chinese women, and the other is dating 3.. Love Asian women.. Sorry OT.. But I need to know how this works with I do travel there soon. Does anyone have clearwire for internet??

TY

Justa..


"When you lose, don't lose the lesson"

tokyopua

Quote from: justastock on May 15, 2006, 08:58:33 AM
Quote from: bng129 on March 05, 2006, 08:19:56 PM
Has anybody ever traded using their existing US accounts while in Asia (especially China)?  I plan to take a trip to China this summer and wondering where I stand if I need to place a trade.  Thanks!

-Brian

I have a 2 friends that have mush ties with this country, one guy is married to a Chinese women, and the other is dating 3.. Love Asian women.. Sorry OT..

Google my screenname and see where that takes you if you like Asian women...
Chance favors the prepared mind

mexirafa

Yeah!!!!  This is why I like trading on line so much.

I am profesional musician, I am traveling constantly in and out the country. My laptop and a fast internet conection will do it anywhere in the world.

If I need to contact my broker by phone in case of a bad conection, I make the phone call with SKYPE over the internet, which now it is for free.

;)
" It is  always profitable to study our own mistakes"

rickjust

Quote from: mexirafa on May 15, 2006, 09:50:33 PM
I am profesional musician, I am traveling constantly in and out the country. My laptop and a fast internet conection will do it anywhere in the world.

hi mexi,
i am also a professional muso, (slang for musician in australia) . didn't think there would be another one  around here.
trading is totally different to  playing music. although the charts can be a little like reading music , particularly intraday charts where you are trying reading ahead.
rock on,
maxi