3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

News:

Welcome to 3StocksOnFire! US stock trading community (2005-2010) with 451+ documented trades and 15,000+ members. View Portfolios | Stock Articles | Quotes

Main Menu

Advanced Scan Interface at Stockcharts.com

Started by Deadb440, March 06, 2006, 11:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadb440

I was wondering if there was any interest here by anyone using the ASI at Stockcharts.com.

It's very time consuming to write your own but for those interested I'd like to use this forum to swap scans.  I've written only 1 so far but has served me well although it needs some tweaking.......

Deadb440

I'm blown away with over 6000 members here and NO Body is using the Advanced Scan Interface at Stockcharts.com!?

Here's the scan I wrote that Works Fantastic!!

[type = stock] and [country = us] and [daily sma(10,daily volume) > 200000] and [daily sma(60,daily close) > 1] and
[daily close >= 0.35] and [daily close <=10.00] and [7 days ago daily ppo line (6,12,6) < 5 days ago daily ppo line (6,12,6)] and [4 days ago daily ppo line (6,12,6) < 2 days ago daily ppo line (6,12,6)] and [3 days ago daily ppo line (6,12,6) < 1 days ago daily ppo line(6,12,6)] and [yesterday's daily ppo line (6,12,6) < -.005] and [2 days ago daily ppo line(6,12,6) < yesterday's daily ppo line (6,12,6)] 


It's amazing how I wrote this scan for the Rising PPO, but look how incredible it is in pulling up the 5,10, and 20 day ma signals!!  Keep in mind with my scan, if you read it carefully, you can adjust the scan by either changing the volume, the price range, the number of days that the PPO is rising yet remains below the ZERO line, or all of the above!  I selected a price of .35 to 10.00 but you could specifically target stocks in say the 18.00 to 24.00 range instead!  I think it's great anyway but don't take my word for it.  Test it for yourself.

One last thing to remember about running and saving scans in a scan list at stockcharts is in order to review hundreds of charts in a very short time frame, pull up your Scan List and then select "CandleGlance" for the viewing format![/b]  In doing so I can review 2-300charts in a half hour.......

Boy it sure feels good to share....... and they told me Prison time wouldn't pay off!   Geeeesh!!   >:D

Just kidding!  ;D
Dead

Lucas Scott

hey Deadb440 - I also use the Advanced Scan Interface at Stockcharts! Liquid Stick does too so that means at least 3 out of 6000 members use it ;) 

I added your scan to my scan list. Thanks for sharing. I haven't ever used the PPO indicator. I ran your scan and it looks like it finds stocks that have recently been kicked hard in the nutz. I take it you like the bounce plays?

Here's a scan I use to find penny stocks that have had a big volume influx recently:

[exchange = nasdaq] or [exchange = nyse] or [exchange = amex] and [type = stock] and [daily sma(20,daily volume) > daily sma(200,daily volume)*2.5] and [daily close < daily sma(100,daily close)*4] and [daily sma(10,daily volume) > 500000] and [daily close < .500] and [daily close > .005]
GO IN THAT HOUSE OF PAIN THAT YOU SEEM TO WANT TO BE IN, BUT GET AWAY FROM ME.  I'M TRYING TO WORK, DAMMIT.

Lucas Scott

And here's another one. This looks for stocks between .50 and $30 that are trading above their 33ema and have had 2x volume in the past 20 days compared to their 200 day average. It produces a lot of hits. It's the kind of scan I'll run on the weekend to put together a watchlist for the following week. Since joining 3SoF I haven't run it very much because there are so many stocks mentioned here I usually have no trouble compiling a good watchlist.

Here is the scan:
[exchange = nasdaq] or [exchange = nyse] or [exchange = amex] and [type = stock] and [daily sma(10,daily volume) > 100000] and [daily sma(20,daily volume) > daily sma(200,daily volume)*2] and [daily sma(1,daily close) < 30.00] and [daily sma(1,daily close) > .50] and [daily sma(33,daily close) <= daily close]
GO IN THAT HOUSE OF PAIN THAT YOU SEEM TO WANT TO BE IN, BUT GET AWAY FROM ME.  I'M TRYING TO WORK, DAMMIT.

Deadb440

Thanks Lucas.  Always good to have another couple of scans in the system ready to go if I get bored.  I agree that there's a great deal of vg stocks mentioned here.  I believe it's because most here are swing trading rather than daytrading so there's alot more DD going into the picks then someone simply jumping in on a momo play.  The good thing about the scans is taking a standard such as yours or mine and then tweaking the paramaters a bit to really open up the selection...  So tell me, do you also put your scans into Candleglance for fast viewing?  One of the stocks my scan pulled up the other day was DIET.  Appears it may get a bit heavier once the market strengthens.  We'll see.........

Lucas Scott

I don't use Candleglance for filtering my scan because the 2-month view is too short a time-frame and the thumbnails aren't big enough in the 6-mo or 1-yr view. When I'm looking at a stock for the first time I like to see a 9-month or 1-year view. Maybe Sharpcharts2 offers an option to increase the size of the thumbnails?

I use Candleglance if I have a watchlist of stocks I'm familiar with. Then I can look at the 2-month view to quickly see if something on my list is breaking out.
GO IN THAT HOUSE OF PAIN THAT YOU SEEM TO WANT TO BE IN, BUT GET AWAY FROM ME.  I'M TRYING TO WORK, DAMMIT.

Deadb440

The reason I love the candleglance on the scans is because I can add my rising ppo 6,12,6 indicator which is my trigger.  So on the 2 month if the ppo looks vg then I will click on the chart and call up the larger image with all my signals and see if there's any confirmations.  If there are then I know I have a potential winner, write down the symbol, click back on the browser so I'm back into candleglance and go onto the next.  Like I say I can view 2-300 charts in a half hour.   Whatever works...... and that works great for me.  I also watch very closely for the 5day ma to make a cross over the 10 & 20ma's on a 3 month and a 5 minute daily to ensure it's looking rosey...

PerfectSage

I don't use the asi. Never ever bothered with it actually. I think the ppo is the best momentum indicator cuz it's relative so you can compare momentum between stocks. It's also like the macd ie easy to read unlike the adx.

I like to scan for ppo line crosses it's signal line above 5 and ppo line crosses 6,7,8,9 & 10

The ppo of the best momo stocks will get to 10 in a hurry and keep on going to 20 or 30.

Get rich quick ;)
I wanna be the minority ;)

Deadb440

Scan for the "SMA 5,10,20 Cross" ....
Well guys it's been quite a while since I've been here.
For those of you using the Advanced Scan Interface at StockCharts you can plug these Scan Parameters in and pull up all the charts that fit that description....


[type = stock]and[country = canada]and[daily sma(20,daily volume)>100000]and[yesterdays SMA(5,close<yesterdays SMA(10,close)]and[yesterdays SMA(5,close)<yesterdays SMA(20,close)]and[SMA(5,close)>SMA(10,close)]and[SMA(5,close)>SMA(20,close)]

Now that can be changed if you want..... for US stocks simply remove Canada and put in US. Also if you don't want the 5 day SMA to have crossed the SMA 20 just yet then sub at the end <= instead of the >SMA(20.... so it looks like this...

[type = stock]and[country = US]and[daily sma(20,daily volume)>100000]and[yesterdays SMA(5,close<yesterdays SMA(10,close)]and[yesterdays SMA(5,close)<yesterdays SMA(20,close)]and[SMA(5,close)>SMA(10,close)]and[SMA(5,close)<=SMA(20,close)]

You can also add to the scan to include price ranges of whatever you choose such as.....

[type = stock]and[country = US]and[daily close >= 0.65]and[daily close <=10.00]and[daily sma(20,daily volume)>100000]and[yesterdays SMA(5,close<yesterdays SMA(10,close)]and[yesterdays SMA(5,close)<yesterdays SMA(20,close)]and[SMA(5,close)>SMA(10,close)]and[SMA(5,close)<=SMA(20,close)]

Hope all is well.... Dead

;D ;) 8)

Quasi

Hi all,  been looking at Terliso's topic on the "3 Magic lines Strategy"

http://www.3stocksonfire.org/trading/index.php?topic=7602.0

Decided to try and write a scan to get some stocks in the ball park to put on a watch list.  My initial scan is as follows with comments included in italics, so you would have to cut and paste and delete the comments.  You can then modify the parameters till you get what you like.

The strategy by Terliso is as follows:
1) The 3 moving averages
2) Sudden rise of volume
3) Weekly MACD Bullish Cross -- above zero level, Exactly @ zero level, bounced off at zero level or near @ zero level.

Note if you find and errors or improvements in the following please let me know, I'm sure there are some as I been having a few beers while setting this up.

Scan as follows:


[type = stock]

sets price range
and [Close > 0.5] and [Close < 15]

sets min 20 day ave liquidity at greater than $500K
and
[SMA(20,close) * SMA(20,volume) > 500,000]

sets sma50, sma200 and ema200 all within +/- 5%, ma compression another part of the setup
and
[daily sma(50,daily close) >= daily sma(200,daily close) * 0.95]
and
[daily sma(50,daily close) <= daily sma(200,daily close) * 1.05]
and
[daily ema(200,daily close) >= daily sma(200,daily close) * 0.95]
and
[daily ema(200,daily close) <= daily sma(200,daily close) * 1.05]

sets current price to be above all ma
and
[close > daily sma(50,daily close)]
and
[close > daily sma(200,daily close)]
and
[close > daily ema(200,daily close)]


looks for volume increase / spike at least somewhere in the last 6 days
and
[[volume > daily sma(100,daily volume) * 2.5]
or[1 day ago volume >  daily sma(100,daily volume) * 2.5]
or[2 day ago volume >  daily sma(100,daily volume) * 2.5]
or[3 day ago volume >  daily sma(100,daily volume) * 2.5]
or[4 day ago volume >  daily sma(100,daily volume) * 2.5]
or[5 day ago volume >  daily sma(100,daily volume) * 2.5]]

Weekly macd signal must have been close to zero in one of the last 3 weeks,  slightly negative to a little more positive
and
[[weekly macd signal(12,26,9) >= -.02]and[weekly macd signal(12,26,9) <=0.5]
or[1 week ago weekly macd signal(12,26,9) >= -0.02]and[1 week ago weekly macd signal(12,26,9) <= 0.5]
or[2 weeks ago weekly macd signal(12,26,9) >= -0.02]and[2 weeks ago weekly macd signal(12,26,9) <= 0.5]]


Weekly macd line below macd signal in at least one of the last three weeks
and
[[1 week ago weekly macd line(12,26,9) < 1 week ago weekly macd signal(12,26,9)]
or[2 weeks ago weekly macd line(12,26,9) < 2 weeks ago weekly macd signal(12,26,9)]
or[3 weeks ago weekly macd line(12,26,9) < 3 weeks ago weekly macd signal(12,26,9)]]


Weekly macd line had bullish cross of signal in at least the last 3 weeks
and
[[weekly macd line(12,26,9) > weekly macd signal(12,26,9)]
or[1 weeks ago weekly macd line(12,26,9) >1 weeks ago weekly macd signal(12,26,9)]
or[2 weeks ago weekly macd line(12,26,9) >2 weeks ago weekly macd signal(12,26,9)]]

End of Scan and OK here it is without the comments just to make it easier

[type = stock]
and [Close > 0.5] and [Close < 15]
and
[SMA(20,close) * SMA(20,volume) > 500,000]
and
[daily sma(50,daily close) >= daily sma(200,daily close) * 0.95]
and
[daily sma(50,daily close) <= daily sma(200,daily close) * 1.05]
and
[daily ema(200,daily close) >= daily sma(200,daily close) * 0.95]
and
[daily ema(200,daily close) <= daily sma(200,daily close) * 1.05]
and
[close > daily sma(50,daily close)]
and
[close > daily sma(200,daily close)]
and
[close > daily ema(200,daily close)]
and
[[volume > daily sma(100,daily volume) * 2.5]
or[1 day ago volume >  daily sma(100,daily volume) * 2.5]
or[2 day ago volume >  daily sma(100,daily volume) * 2.5]
or[3 day ago volume >  daily sma(100,daily volume) * 2.5]
or[4 day ago volume >  daily sma(100,daily volume) * 2.5]
or[5 day ago volume >  daily sma(100,daily volume) * 2.5]]
and
[[weekly macd signal(12,26,9) >= -.02]and[weekly macd signal(12,26,9) <=0.5]
or[1 week ago weekly macd signal(12,26,9) >= -0.02]and[1 week ago weekly macd signal(12,26,9) <= 0.5]
or[2 weeks ago weekly macd signal(12,26,9) >= -0.02]and[2 weeks ago weekly macd signal(12,26,9) <= 0.5]]
and
[[1 week ago weekly macd line(12,26,9) < 1 week ago weekly macd signal(12,26,9)]
or[2 weeks ago weekly macd line(12,26,9) < 2 weeks ago weekly macd signal(12,26,9)]
or[3 weeks ago weekly macd line(12,26,9) < 3 weeks ago weekly macd signal(12,26,9)]]
and
[[weekly macd line(12,26,9) > weekly macd signal(12,26,9)]
or[1 weeks ago weekly macd line(12,26,9) >1 weeks ago weekly macd signal(12,26,9)]
or[2 weeks ago weekly macd line(12,26,9) >2 weeks ago weekly macd signal(12,26,9)]]


Give it a try and see if you can give us some improvements.

thanks
Quasi
JMHO subject to change without notice,
Happy Investing / Trading

Quasi

AussieTrader

#10
Hey Quasi, great post. I have moved it from technical analysis to the Trading Systems board as here it has the most relevence.

Cheers
AussieTrader
www.3stocksonfire.org

Try our Premium Service or just Register a FREE Account

Quasi

#11
Thanks Aussie,

It was your comments over on Terliso's 3 Magic line MA thread that got me thinking about the scan.  Just posted some comments over there also, along with the output on 4 stocks from today.  Let me know what you think and if you have any other ideas.

Hope you didn't get flagged on it as I input the post and then deleted it several times as I was having problems getting the charts to come out the right size.  Always seemed to be one that was too wide, but OK now I think.  Hate it when I have to scroll back and forth, and in a long post the scroll bar is always way down there.

PS  I better let Deadb440 know where the new location for the ACI board is.

happy trading / investing
Quasi
JMHO subject to change without notice,
Happy Investing / Trading

Quasi

tokyopua

Hi Quasi,

Nice scan, glad to see it picked up TTP.  I think TTP would qualify for entry via STEPS at this point because of its reversal Friday.

I am curious though, what software are you using for your scan?  Terliso and I are using StockFetcher.com, and I dont think all those options are available to us.  Might have to migrate to whatever you are using if I cant find a workaround...
Chance favors the prepared mind

Quasi

Quote from: tokyopua on December 17, 2006, 11:55:50 PM
I am curious though, what software are you using for your scan?  Terliso and I are using StockFetcher.com, and I dont think all those options are available to us.  Might have to migrate to whatever you are using if I cant find a workaround...

Hi Tokyopua, I'm using the Stockcharts.com  Advanced Scan Interface.  Never tried Stockfetcher or Metastocks, just been using Stockcharts all along and have been happy with the "Extra" level subscription.  I don't day trade so mostly looking at markets after hours, thus don't often need the fancy stuff.

Quasi
JMHO subject to change without notice,
Happy Investing / Trading

Quasi

Terliso