3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

News:

Welcome to 3StocksOnFire! US stock trading community (2005-2010) with 451+ documented trades and 15,000+ members. View Portfolios | Stock Articles | Quotes

Main Menu

Stock charting/scanning software

Started by Leaira, April 14, 2006, 01:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leaira

I'm thinking about buying a copy of some stock charting/scanning software to find stocks and look at a number of indicators in one glance.  I've narrowed it down to two, which are Metastock End-of-Day, and ExtremeCharts (by the BetterTrades.com trading school).

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?  I need for the program to do:
-Find stocks breaking out of consolidation patterns on increasing volume
-Be able to narrow it down to certain prices and indicator values (for example, NASDAQ stocks between $1 and $3 with >100,000 average daily volume, +DI>-DI, and ADX>25)
-Set other time-values for indicators (like MACD 8, 16, 6 for example)
-Display a big candlestick chart with all indicators below it (BB and EMA's overlayed)
-Save charts with trendlines and support/resistance lines drawn on them

Also, do I have to pay any monthly cost just to get end-of-day data?  I'm not interested in intraday.

Thanks,
Leaira

Tirebldr

Because of price constraints, I installed the "free" copy of Telechart Gold ( www.wordens.com). When you have them send the softwre on cd's they will also send a 2cd set of training video's which are fantastic to get you up and going. The site is packed full of helpful video's and customer support people are at your fingertips at all times.

The data for "all" the programs you consider will cost you. Usually $29 for end of day data. With TC you can update the software throughout the day manually. Not having to wait for e.o.day data in the evening. Later, when we get rich TC can be easily be updated for live data feed which is still much less expensive I think.

Metastock is the king of them all, but  TeleChart is a close runner-up.
Art

boatguy

Tirebldr,

I think I'll have the Colombian coffee and a Cohiba along with my charting program. LOL

Think you mightr have pasted the wrong link. ;) I'll google it, thanks.

Haven't seen you posting as much lately, hope all is well.

Tirebldr

Art

jcookin2

Metastock End-of-Day 9.0 data is 24.95 monthly,,

gerard711

Stockfetcher is great  end of day charting for like 8 bucks a month you can set various indicators

www.stockfetcher.com