3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

Starting with 38,366.53 going for 100k

Started by nullzero, April 18, 2006, 12:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nullzero

I got in late to the game but will start a thread and try to update with my trades. Im doing a short term swing trade strategy. I will hold a stock from 1 day to 3 months on average. Im not using margin will be using a cash account and the timing of settlement will also influence how im trading.

Ok first trade today:

BOUGHT 1000shrs AMD at 31.204    $31,204.00
4/18 12:36:46 PM

Plan for trade:
Will hold between 5%-15% gain. Max pain (-7%)

nullzero

AMD looking good up over 2%. Looks like I may sell tomorrow or friday, unless news comes out that shows a good chance for gain otherwise.

nullzero

#2
SOLD 1000shrs AMD at 31.80     $31,802
4/20 10:32:02 AM

Profit 1.9%, +$584 after comm
Total Account Value: $38,950

Trade plan changed because AMD wasnt rebounding as well as I thought. AMD seemed to be getting pushed up only by the market. It was sold today because Friday doesnt look promising for the market and I was afraid of a Friday sell off.

nullzero

#3
BOUGHT 1000shrs ESLR at 14.84   $14,840
4/20 1:11:44 PM

Was a solar sell off today, im going to go do the opposite and pick up on some cheap shares. ESLR earnings next wednesday 4/26 at 10am eastern... This tells me there is something good to say to release earnings after market open at 10am in the morning.

Looking for a 5-20% Gain
Max Pain (-7%) :-*

nullzero

#4
ESLR flat today so far... fighting tough resistance at 14.90 I have a feeling though we will soon see a break thru on the resistance and some potential upside for the close.

Some intresting info from short squeeze...

Short % of Float: 23.82 %
Shares Short: 12,657,833

If there is a good rally I expect there will be a good amount of shorts covering shooting up the price higher.

EDIT: BOUGHT 1000shrs at 15.049
         4/21 3:41:02 PM

Just doubled position looking to sell sometime next week.
Profit target 15.60-16.00, Earnings wednesday at 10am.

         

nullzero

#5
Down little over  -1% on ESLR today, there is a good chance of recovering and back to green today. On another note looking back on my AMD trade I might of pulled the trigger little early; it seemed to pull thru and break 32s. It may hit my 5% gain target but thats alright its good to look back and learn not to dwell on a trade.

UPDATE
ESLR closed at 15.11 on low volume, down slightly from fridays 5.15 close. Currently up little over 1% on my position. Watching closely earnings are 2 days away.

nullzero

#6
SOLD 2000shrs ESLR at 15.8501
4/25 9:33:16 AM
Profit: 6.1%
Overall account Value: $40,747.77

Postion was sold today, reason for selling was profit target was met in the morning with a gap up. This trade was easy to complete with the gap up pushing me past my profit target and predicting the gap up would get knocked down. Tomorrow's earnings also played a roll with pulling the trigger on this trade. Knowing how the market loves to sell off during earnings, I felt that since the profit target was met its time to take the profit.

nullzero

#7
BOUGHT 240shrs FDG at avg. 37.83
1:07:26 PM to 1:07:37 PM

Plan for trade:
Profit target 4-7% gain  8)
Max Pain (-7%)  >:(

Thoughts about trade:
Coal sector had a small sell off today, FDG had a sell off on earnings news released yesterday. I bought in the 37.80s, I believe I pulled the trigger a little to soon and should of looked over for a better entry in the 37.60s-37.70s. However im pretty confident by next monday I should be at or close to the profit target. Lots of support in the 36s and resistance at 39 can be broken easily I believe.

nullzero

Stocks on my watch list:
AUY, BNI, HOM, and TIE

May enter one of those in the next few days.

nullzero

BOUGHT 340shrs BNI at 81.45
4/25 03:45:06 PM

Plan for trade:
Profit target 3-5%
Max pain (-7%)

Thoughts about trade:
BNI was oversold I believe on earnings news that beat expectations. The market is wrong on this one! Looking for a quick bounce in the next 5 trading days.

My other trade FDG didnt recover as much as I would of liked. Little over -1% on this one will watch closely still think has potential to get some decent gains

nullzero

#10
Im up on BNI little over 1.5%, BNI looking good to continue gain. Down on FDG over -2%, I might sell for a loss if it doesnt turn around.

HOM is looking good soon for entry which I have been watching closely.

UPDATE:
BNI closed at 82.32 up 1.02% looking to hold this till about 3-5% gain
FDG on the other hand looks like I caught a falling knife closed at 36.22 at the low of the day :(. Down -4.5% about on FDG. Looks like tomorrow im going to sell around 36.00-36.10 if it decides to go that low.

nullzero

#11
SOLD 240shrs FDG at 36.00
4/27 9:40:06 AM

LOSS: 5.1%  -$459 after comm

Total Account Value: $40,152.12

Thoughts about trade:
I caught a falling knife with FDG, I made a mistake of jumping in to soon. FDG pierced was about to pierce 36.00 so I decided to sell, the support through 36.00s was broken with ease the last few days.

On another note still holding BNI till profit target or loss target

UPDATE:
Bad luck so far today got stomped out of FDG at 36.00 and looks like FDG has rebounded. BNI tanked below the 50DMA today and is currently down -4%. Im down about -3% so far on this trade. Holding BNI tight hoping tomorrow is looking better.

nullzero

BNI closed at 79.53 up 1.52%,, chart looks like it may be on the rebound.  Down about -2.4% on this trade but looks like I will be in green soon.

Terliso

#13
Nullzero, applaud.. good approach ;)
But I don't like catching a falling knife,
I'd rather short this stock than go Long.

nullzero

Yeah I jumped in BNI to early.. I was bullish on railroads and looking for a pullback, looked like a good 50/50 chance I could get a quick gain. Im going to see what happens to BNI on monday, I will get out of BNI on monday if it goes below the gain made on friday. Thanks Terlisa for your comments, im relatively new to trading and still learning the ropes. Looking fowards to future comments and views from you and others on the boards.