3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

Starting with 38,366.53 going for 100k

Started by nullzero, April 18, 2006, 12:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nullzero

#30
Well I upgraded to a margin account today. I couldnt help the temptation of sitting out I saw bargain prices for HOM and AUY.
Bought 1000shrs of HOM
Bought 900shrs of AUY

will update later with info

UPDATE: Did a little day trading/scalping today with the margin account and made about a 300dollar gain after comm. did alot of transactions today so wont get detailed will just give avg. bought and account value.  ::) I have serious gamblers mentality but I know when to take the gains and working on selling when im at a loss.

BOUGHT 2000shrs HOM at 10.37 avg.
SOLD 2000shrs HOM at 10.28 avg.
LOSS: about -1%

BOUGHT 3800shrs AOB at 5.67 avg.
SOLD 3800shrs AOB at 5.75 avg.
GAIN: about 1.3%

BOUGHT 900shrs AUY at 11.24 avg.
SOLD 900shrs AUY at 11.32 avg.
GAIN: about .80%

SOLD SHORT 2000shrs ESLR at 12.60 avg.
BOUGHT TO COVER 2000shrs at 12.54 avg.
GAIN: about .60%

Total Account Value: $35,380.59
just about a 1% gain from $35,037.52

Numbers might not be totally accurate just an idea of what my loss or gain was. Did decent I think on big down day. Was a very voltile today for the market and believe I overtraded today. Was a blast though  8) good learning experience of trading under pressure several positions with a limited amount of time. All positions were opened and closed today. I rather hold a 1-3 stocks for a period of 3days to 1 month... much less stress

Feel free to comment on my posts give your ideas, opinions, criticisms, congrats, or whatever. I like the quotes "Live and Learn" and "Learn from your mistakes" <--- this is the best way to learn for me lol  ;D. Hopefully in the next couple of years I can improve my trading and stock skills to the point of making a great return consistantly.

nullzero

Ok im working on a new plan for trading so far I decided

*trading upto 3-4 stocks at a time 25% or 33% of profolio
*holding stocks between 1 day to 3months
*looking for potential long positions with 2-3 stocks and a potential short on 1 stock
*will keep this plan until account holdings increase to 50k (if and when this is reached, I will then start trading upto 5 stocks, breakdown would be 3-4 Long 1-2 short)
*will try to avoid trading more then one stock at a time in each sector ex. BNI and RAIL are both railroad stocks therefore I will aim to invest in one at a time. (Execept for certain exceptions in booming sectors)
*if and when 100k is reached my plan is to hold 7 stocks
*will keep my -7% loss max in place (must follow this firmly   :-\ )
*still figuring out when to take profits Im thinking after 5% gain setting a tight stop slightly below the 5% gain and letting profits ride upto 25%. Taking the profit anywhere between 5% and 25% depending on current stock movement and events.
*last and most important sticking to plan :)

nullzero

I traded OTCBB before and got burned. I tend to shy away from them... The upside and downside is to extreme. Knowing how I am I would probley would cut the profits to soon and not the losses. I think I could probley keep up a good year 40-100% gain like that with 3-4 stocks on the amex, nyse, and nasdaq. If I could average about 5% gain a week would be cooking ;). Figure out of the 4 stocks trading stock #1 is a loss of -7% assuming its about 30% of my account at 10k would loose -2.1% of account value which would be about $700. Now figuring I found 1 bad stocks and 2 good stocks would be down $700 but up on the other 2 over $1000, 2/3 wins I think that ratio could be kept up. Figuring I would take gains anywhere from 5% to 25% on avg. lets say I get 15% gain. So would take .15 x .60= 9% for gain total in account subtracting -2.1% we would get 6.9% figuring I could probley get this in 2 weeks-3 weeks on average... divide 6.9% by 3=2.3% gain per week lets say there is 50 trading weeks times 2.3%= 115% for the year..... not bad if everything goes to plan  :). Adding comm. in It would  be closer to 110% after taxes 77%. These are just guesses though but im sure it would be something close to this.

nullzero

#33
*Going to aim to buy 1500shrs of IMOS tomorrow, will watch chart and possibly wait till an hour or two to buy in. Im aiming to pick up shares at 7.40 but if it looks like its going beneath support at 7.30 im going to buy in lower. My stop loss for IMOS will be at 6.95.

*Decided not to touch CRUS it might go lower.

*AOB looks good I think its going to run over 6, going to buy AOB in the morning. Stop loss -7% from entry. If AOB shoots above 6 and im up over 5% I will take a gain between 6 and 7.50

*DHI looks good for a short might have a break down soon. Home building and mortages dont look good the bubble is just about to burst for housing. Will enter position to short DHI tomorrow, if gaps up tomorrow will enter imediately. Currently at 29.05 will aim to short 400shrs at open or in the 29.00 range. Will set my stop loss at 30.10..... profit target 5-20%.

summary China stocks bullish.... Home Builder stocks bearish

AussieTrader

Hey Null, I like the look of your DHI short. Risk reward there is very good.

Good Luck
AussieTrader
www.3stocksonfire.org

Try our Premium Service or just Register a FREE Account

nullzero

#35
SOLD SHORT 400shrs DHI at 28.90
BOUGHT 1800shrs AOB at 5.71
BOUGHT 1400shrs IMOS at 7.39

so far stocks havent moved much up slightly on AOB neutral on DHI and down slightly on IMOS

UPDATE:
Aussie DHI looks great on short :) im already looking good from my 28.90 entry to short. Best thing about DHI is it doesnt have hardly any short % of float its near 1%.... Its a bunch of bag holders selling thats leading it down. I compared it to TOL CTX and the others DHI looked like the best of the bunch double top with strong resistance at 30.

nullzero

#36
SOLD 1800shrs AOB at 6.00
Gain: 5% profit target was met

Sold AOB due to strong resistance at 6-6.06 and general market conditions going bad.

DHI short is doing good up over 2%
IMOS is not doing so hot down -4%

UPDATE:
BUY TO COVER 400shrs DHI at 28.33
Gain: 2% gain profit target was not met
Still getting the feel for shorting I took the gain early afraid of a slight pop up and making no gain. Will take experience and time to profit nicely from shorting.

Believe I cut my profit to soon on AOB, afternoon rally took it back up to over 6 and close at 6.22. Was being to conservative once 5% gain was obtained I sold out. Missed out an a additional 5% if I sold near the close. Overall a 4% gain was obtained today pretty good considering this voltile up and down day.

IMOS had a nice slight run up near the close but wasnt enough to push it near green. Close at 7.13 hoping for a better day on tuesday. Down a little over -3.5% on IMOS

......
BOUGHT 1000shrs HOM at 11.00 AH
BOUGH 1000shrs HOM at 11.84 AH
Got 2000 now in HOM.... HOM at 12.35 currently in AH

Reported blow out earnings just released going to ride HOM until momentum slows down.
......
SOLD 1000shrs HOM at 12.26 AH
HOLDING 1000shrs for tomorrow will look to pick up more Shares if there is a dip in the morning

538k traded AH... Account value around 37k right now so I recovered from the TOMO loss pretty well. Now only if IMOS will rally up soon. Tomorrow expecting busy trading day on HOM going to be ontop of it.

nullzero

Im looking at a potential third stock possibly a short tomorrow maybe a long stock like AOB or GV.

AussieTrader

Hey Null, congrats on picking up and profiting on HOM after hours.
I think you may have too much of an itchy trigger finger on the likes of AOB and DHI though.

AussieTrader
www.3stocksonfire.org

Try our Premium Service or just Register a FREE Account

nullzero

#39
Going to re short DHI possibly after today I want to see where its going to trade. I think I can get in higher then 28.70 to short. * I agree with you aussie I pulled trigger to soon on the DHI short however was able to get back in AOB today at 6.00.

UPDATE:
BOUGHT 1000shrs HOM at 12.28
SOLD 2000shrs HOM at 12.33
get back to me on the % gain on HOM trades :P
UPDATE:
Adding and avging all HOM trades got the following,
BOUGHT 3000shrs of HOM at 11.706 Avg.
SOLD 3000shrs of HOM at 12.295 avg.
Gain: about 5%

BOUGHT 5400shrs GV at 1.99
SOLD 5400shrs GV at 2.025 AVG.
Gain: about 2%

BOUGHT 1700shrs AOB at 5.999
Profit target: 5% or more

SOLD SHORT 400shrs DHI at 27.97
Profit target: 3-5%

***Open Positions***
SHORT 400shrs DHI at 27.97
up about +.90% on this trade

LONG 1700shrs AOB at 5.999
down about -1.6%

LONG 1500shrs IMOS at 7.39
down about -4%

Total Account Value: 37,549.48

Looking good ;), Had a bump in the road due to some bad trading last month my all time high was at about $40,600. Im looking to crush it in the next 30 days.


nullzero

Planning to short CA tomorrow in the morning aiming to get in at low 23.00s... or if it starts dropping entering in at the high 22.00s. Plan may change if depending on market etc.

Plan:
SELL SHORT 450shrs CA at 22.50-23.60
Gain: 5%-10% in the 20.00-21.00
Max Pain: -5% or must cover at 23.60 if goes above.

nullzero

#41
SOLD SHORT 450shrs CA at 22.49
STOP LOSS at 23.60

Profit Target: 5% or more
Max Loss: -5%

Pulled trigger to early should of waited 10-15 mins before entering could of shorted in the high 22.00s. The market is acting extremely bearish down over 70 points, should be in the green on this trade soon.

UPDATE:

Should sell AOB right now its at the -7% mark.... Im hesistant to give my shares away, considering the market is so bad I dont want to sell out on a strong fundamental company thats getting hit by the market.

*** Went against my plan of -7% stop loss on both AOB and IMOS... Fundamentals were to good to dump. Chinese stocks should be on the bullish side if the market goes into full bear mode. Currently down -5% on AOB and down little over -9% on IMOS... if 6.70-73 support doesnt hold im going to be have to sell at 6.70-6.73. Up over 3% on the DHI short and slightly down on CA short by less then -.50%

nullzero

#42
SOLD 1500shrs IMOS at 5.51
LOSS: -13%

Was my own fault I let it get to 13% loss. I broke my own rule.

Account Value: $36.536.85

UPDATE:
SHORT SELL 300shrs FITB at 38.17
STOP LOSS: -4% at 39.6

Profit target: 6%-20%

Will update stop loss on the way down. Im now holding 3 shorts and 1 long.

nullzero

Got rocked with IMOS loss... AOB still down. All my shorts I am up by a at least 1% gain or more.

SELL SHORT 400shrs DHI at 28.25
Profit Target: 5% or more
Stop Loss at 29.25

Have a total of 800shrs short on DHI avg. at 28.11 Profit target updated to 5% or more.

****OPEN POSITIONS****

LONG 1700shrs AOB
SELL SHORT 450shrs CA
SELL SHORT 800shrs DHI
SELL SHORT 300shrs FITB

Account Value: $36,709.50

Most of my account is now short and will be that way until market shows signs of going up again.

nullzero

SOLD 1700shrs AOB at 5.555 avg.
Loss: -7.8%

I wasnt going to break my -7% rule again after the market showed signs of going red I sold out.

****OPEN TRADES****
SELL SHORT 2000shrs GIGM at 9.505 avg.
SELL SHORT 800shrs DHI (up currently on this trade by a couple %) 5-15% profit
SELL SHORT 300shrs FITB (down on this trade by less then a %) Looking for 5-15% profit
SELL SHORT 450shrs CA (up on this trade a couple %) Looking for 5%-15% profit