3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

News:

Welcome to 3StocksOnFire! US stock trading community (2005-2010) with 451+ documented trades and 15,000+ members. View Portfolios | Stock Articles | Quotes

Main Menu

Cheap & Small Oil Co's

Started by tommyt, June 11, 2005, 03:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommyt

If it is okay, I would like to start a topic that deals exclusively with the Oil Sector. Accepting that the current geopolitical situation may be with us for a while and hurricane season is upon us, I think there may be other companies, like GEOI or ABLE, to be discovered and have much short term potential. This is traditionally a time of year that you see oils spike, and after coming down 15-20% you could see a super-spike after one bad Wedensday Reserves report.  I have started a list of, what I think are, cheap oils. Their performance has been truely staggering.  Although I am in the process of learning chart technicals, I would appreciate any criticism, good or bad, and any additions you may think of.

Some that spark my interests are:

stock    performance -   3mths      6mths          1yr

BDCO                         16.7%     256.6%        243.6%          (currently own)
MPET                         5.7%       29.7%         24.8%            (currently own)
TPE                           18.6%     141.4%        70.7%
PKD                           7.5%       58.6%         81.3%
TELOZ                       -34.3%     22.1%         105.7%
ROYL                          0.6%      25.7%         -11.2%
TMY                          -10.9%     24.1%          83.7%
MXC                           32.2%     137.3%        102.6%
FUEL                          -7.2%      26.5%          87.0%
ENG                           49.2%     105.7%        98.9%            (oil&gas services)


Thanks.
         




eliteG

great idea tommyt(applaud),

I think people are starting to realize that gasoline has a good chance of never being cheaper.  That oil is a limited supply.  Alternative power is making advances..but it seems to be a long way off from being viable and I trust the oil companies will squeeze every dollar they can before oil runs out(200 yrs max?).  The oil companies have so much trust in the price of oil/barrel that they are going for oil in tar pits(a very costly process).

I suggest looking at weekly charts(3yrs) for these as well as the daily...might find some interesting things.  8)

you might wanna check out www.stockcharts.com for some free T/A stuff.  Just check out the chart school tab on the top right.

T/A Fundamentals:

- japanese candlesticks
- support, resistance, trendlines
- chart patterns

goodluck...will watch with interest.

cumulina

Great idea, tommyt.

As people get more and more aware of "Peak Oil", price on crude will rise.

As eliteG points out, other sources will now be profitable, like: SU.

http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/SC.web?c=su

I got in a little slow (as always...)  @ 42.57 friday. That one is probably long-term.

I have also been looking at MPET. I am not good at reading charts - rely on you guys - but looks promising.

I like the Alternative Energy market, looking to get in on SPIR. It had some problems in april, but they seem to have gotten their act together.
Reason for latest movement was good new order to Italy, I believe.
One might have to be a little quick monday on that one?
What do you guys think of the chart?

http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/SC.web?c=spir,uu[m,a]daclyyay[pb50!b200][vc60][iUb14!La12,26,9]&pref=G

Cheers.
Happy trading...

:)

Cumulina.

cumulina

Happy trading...

:)

Cumulina.

spreadhack

Great topic, although I am looking at the timing. However overall the price of crude has become political. Everybody talks about price of crude, specially politicians. And certain countries are becoming increasily proactive in regards to this.
Aside from that, it seems like Large oil corporations are very concerned about Hubbard Peak and are investing heavily into new oil prospects. Problem is, in many cases, my opinion is these large oil co's are trying to compete with state owned companies, whose main priority is not profit margin but generating revenue, placing themselves at a disadvantage.
So yes I do agree in these smaller low cost companies. I am also looking into other oil related companies, such as CBI, which is engaged in oil drilling, which retains upside of industry while is not exposed to any barrell price movements.
However the main flaw I see is I am not sure now is the right time, as we have already seen plenty of upside, and have a tough time finding a current reason to enter.

tintin


setravis

ANNOUNCES EXPLORATION AND DEVELOPMENT RESULTS: Mexco Energy Corporation
(MXC) announced completion of a well in Loving County, Texas. Mexco Energy Corporation
acted as operator of a discovery well drilled to a depth of approximately 6,680 feet in the Cherry
Canyon producing interval in Loving County, Texas. This well produced from a 45 acre drilling
and spacing unit on a 24/64" choke flow test on May 16, 2008 at a rate of 3,450,000 cubic feet
of gas per day with a flowing tubing pressure of 1,000 pounds per square inch, 912 barrels of
water and 48 barrels of oil per day. Mexco's working interest in this well is 31.25% (net revenue
interest of 22.94%). Further testing, exploration and development of this discovery is anticipated
and we will issue an update later in the week.
"Success loves to hide behind challenges.
Embrace the challenge, enjoy the journey."

Do your own DD and invest based on your DD, not mine !

Semper Fi
S.E.Travis