3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

Goal: > 12% Return per Third

Started by dwest718, December 13, 2006, 03:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwest718

My holdings with initial value:

LONG TERM:
Will not touch.  Might add to positions though as more capital becomes available.
10 VTI @ 127.98  =  1279.80
20 VO @ 66.85    =   1337.00
10 VNQ @ 69.90  =    699.00
10 EFA @ 67.20   =    672.00
10 TIP @ 101.25  =  1012.50

MID TERM:
Held position for a while and like the company.  Might add to play short term or hold longer depending on what the fundamentals are doing.  Once these positions are closed the money will be split between LONG and SHORT TERM.
30 SWIR @ 6.89     =  206.70
30 SWIR @ 11.20   =  336.00
80 SWIR @ 11.40   =  912.00
185 TMTA @ 1.65   =  305.25
600 TMTA @ 1.18   =  708.00

SHORT TERM:
Buy based purely on technical analysis.  Use my own research as well as info found on 3stocksonfire to find companies.  Time period held doesn't matter as much but would like to keep it under 6 months if possible.
1400 DOVP @ 0.31  =  434.00
320 NENG @ 2.28    =  729.60
27 DIVX @ 26.95     =  727.65

Initial Value of Holdings: 9357.50

CASH:
1141.27

GOAL:  TO MAKE 12% PER 4 MONTHS  (40% per year)

Terliso

Dwest, the shares kind of small, don't you think?

I think it's better to split your 10 grand in half & just buy two stocks... just a suggestion ;)

Good luck!

dwest718

#2
Quote from: Terliso on December 13, 2006, 03:33:17 PM
Dwest, the shares kind of small, don't you think?

I think it's better to split your 10 grand in half & just buy two stocks... just a suggestion ;)

Good luck!

Yeah they're small but a majority of them were made more than a year ago when I had less than $2000 in capital.  DOVP I've already sold half (same for the 1st set of SWIR shares) and I put every penny I had available into NENG and DIVX when I made the trades.

All $1100 I have will go into one stock.  No position I take from now on will be less than $700 and most will be at least $1000 but I don't want to devote more than 20% of my portfolio for any one short or midterm to at least have some diversification and hedge against risk.  I don't like setting really tight stops so I could lose 15% or maybe even more on 50% of my capital if I split it into two stocks and that would set me back a lot.  Making 5 trades and and making 50%, 20%, 5%, -15%, and -15% is still more profitable than make 2 trades and making 50% and -15% even after trade costs.  In fact, I think taxes might make it even more profitable to take the diversified route.

And I'll update my trading strategies and what not after I get done with finals this week.  No sleep, high stress, and losses in sports cause an unfavorable trading environment and I don't want that affecting what I post and the decisions I make.

nullzero

Agree with Terliso... The only way I took 10k and made it all the way to 40k (now 30k since I havent been doing as well this year) was investing the 10k in 1 or 2 stocks and watching those stocks with an eagle eye. Would do extensive research and put strategic stops in place to insure it was protected. Your comm is most likely eating your cash alive so doing 1-2 stocks until you goto +15-20k is a smart idea.

dwest718

10 VTI @ 141.08  =  1410.80
20 VO @ 73.83    =   1476.80
10 VNQ @ 77.86  =    778.60
10 EFA @ 73.92   =    739.20
10 TIP @ 99.67    =    996.70

140 SWIR @ 13.46  =  1884.40
785 TMTA @ 1.13    =    887.05

1400 DOVP @ 0.35  =  490.00
320 NENG @ 2.73    =  873.60
27 DIVX @ 27.85     =  751.95

Current Value of Holdings:  10289.20
Return of 10.0% on Current Holdings (not including trades made this third)

Cash:  1086.27
Total Value as of 12/18/06:  11375.47



My goal is to have this number to at least 11500 by January 1, 2007 and then from that point on to make 12% per third (4 month period).  Therefore by April 31, 2007, I hope my account is worth at least 12900.

Terliso's "Magic 3 Lines" and Aussie's "STEPS" have caught my eye recently and I will take a look at possible investment opportunities there.  I will also begin to research as I now have more time.

Just from preliminary glances:
-NENG still is strong and I think it has some room to run
-SWIR announced a huge deal today with Verizon that should bring in a good amount of revenue.  Prices spiked today and closed at highs after breaking through the 50dma and the 200ema.
-TTP started strong and fell throughout the day before spiking near close and ending near highs... signals strength after gap up last week and sell off.  Gap took it through the 3 Magic Lines.
-DOVP continuing to consolidate in a very small trading range... could be headed for another breakout

Other stocks being looked at: SDIX

tokyopua

Quote from: nullzero on December 13, 2006, 04:55:24 PM
Agree with Terliso... The only way I took 10k and made it all the way to 40k (now 30k since I havent been doing as well this year) was investing the 10k in 1 or 2 stocks and watching those stocks with an eagle eye. Would do extensive research and put strategic stops in place to insure it was protected. Your comm is most likely eating your cash alive so doing 1-2 stocks until you goto +15-20k is a smart idea.

Hi Dwest, I read the thread and see why you want to have diversified stocks, so one possibile way around the commission issue is to get a Bank of America account.  As long as you keep $25,000 balance combined in your saving and brokerage/investment account, you get 30 free trades per month.  I have been using it here and there, helped me sell SKNN recently in pieces and very well timed since I didnt hesitate thinking about commission.  Might only be available on the east coast, but worth investigating maybe:

www.bankofamerica.com/investments

Hope you can have your cake and eat it too  ;)
Chance favors the prepared mind

dwest718

Quote from: tokyopua on December 18, 2006, 08:23:39 PM

Hi Dwest, I read the thread and see why you want to have diversified stocks, so one possibile way around the commission issue is to get a Bank of America account.  As long as you keep $25,000 balance combined in your saving and brokerage/investment account, you get 30 free trades per month.  I have been using it here and there, helped me sell SKNN recently in pieces and very well timed since I didnt hesitate thinking about commission.  Might only be available on the east coast, but worth investigating maybe:

www.bankofamerica.com/investments

Hope you can have your cake and eat it too  ;)

I wish I had 25k to my name  :D

The 5k in ETFs is my "savings" for now as I'm only a freshman in college and looking for a part time job as we speak.

I use Scottrade and only get charged $7 per trade ($7 + 1/2% of principal for pennies) so it's not that bad... but I'll look into the Bank of America information when I get a chance.  Thanks for the tip.

tokyopua

Applaud to you for being a freshman in college and having a positive bank balance of any sort!  I wish I could have said the same when I was a freshman in college  :P :'(

Quote from: dwest718 on December 18, 2006, 08:49:25 PM
Quote from: tokyopua on December 18, 2006, 08:23:39 PM

Hi Dwest, I read the thread and see why you want to have diversified stocks, so one possibile way around the commission issue is to get a Bank of America account.  As long as you keep $25,000 balance combined in your saving and brokerage/investment account, you get 30 free trades per month.  I have been using it here and there, helped me sell SKNN recently in pieces and very well timed since I didnt hesitate thinking about commission.  Might only be available on the east coast, but worth investigating maybe:

www.bankofamerica.com/investments

Hope you can have your cake and eat it too  ;)

I wish I had 25k to my name  :D

The 5k in ETFs is my "savings" for now as I'm only a freshman in college and looking for a part time job as we speak.

I use Scottrade and only get charged $7 per trade ($7 + 1/2% of principal for pennies) so it's not that bad... but I'll look into the Bank of America information when I get a chance.  Thanks for the tip.
Chance favors the prepared mind

dwest718

#8
Thanks tokyopua  ;D  The holiday season is going to make it a bit difficult to balance the checkbook but we'll see how that goes  :D

As for the investing side of things...
I'm leaning very strongly toward putting my money in TTP tomorrow.  I'll try to buy 300 shares around open between 3.25 and 3.40 as low as I can.  This thing should have a good bit of room to run but we'll see how it turns out.


Reasons I'm buying:
-Had a selloff in the middle of the day that took the price levels down to around yesterday's close but then had a nice bounce to the highs of the day to close

-Recently had a gap above the "3 Magic Lines" (50dma, 200dma, 200ema) and showed strength to stay above them.
-Huge spike in volume when it gapped
-Positive divergence on MACD; slowing down a bit but still positive
-Golden Cross!

-StockTA is very postive on the stock
-AmericanBulls has a pretty solid track record on TTP and confirmed a buy today

Other stocks I'm considering: FORG, TRMM, WRLS, BPA, SWIR, NENG, SDIX

dwest718

Bought TRMM today.  480 shares @ 2.10

Got screwed on the entry price because tried to change my limit order from 2.11 to 2.06 and it never got changed.  Still like TTP but figured TRMM was good for another good day or another run after a bit of consolidation.  Will post the chart later... rough day for the markets in general right now.

dwest718

It worked out today for me buying TRMM.  Even in a down day for the NASDAQ, TRMM spiked at close from 2.00 to 2.30.  Another white candle on nice volume.  Wish I could've waited a little while rather than trying to get in right at open but hindsight is 20-20.  Glad to have the 9% gain either way.  Slight AH selloff but it's quickly recovering.  Setting a target for tomorrow and another target for 1-2 weeks based on tomorrow's price action.  Will post chart and other stocks I'm looking at later tonight when I get the chance.

Happy trading to all  ;D

Closing Value Today: 11404.52

dwest718

Updates on yesterday's stocks:
WRLS - missed a run today but it only confirms the hammer yesterday and the buying pressure still present

FORG - not sure what today's price action will spell for the near future but as kslifka's chart shows, could be in for a move upwards off the trend/support line tomorrow (http://www.3stocksonfire.org/trading/index.php?topic=8048.15)

BPA - nice hammer today but possibly unattractive chart pattern forming; will have to wait and see

SWIR - same as FORG; will have to wait for move up or down to determine trading strategy

NENG - another ?? stock that needs a move either way as confirmation of a top or just consolidation

SDIX - gapped down and hammered on low volume... if it opens lower tomorrow, it'll be off the list for good

TTP - considered buying but MACD worried me a bit; OK day today but need some positive action and to stay above 3.20 or so tomorrow to stay in good shape

TRMM - bought 480 shares @ 2.10 today; could've waited but ended up a very good close with a nice white candle/hammer above yesterday's gap up... hopefully will continue the run

Therefore, all of these will continue to be watched in short term but main stocks for tomorrow are: WRLS, FORG, TTP

And the others on the radar: TSTC*, BPA, SWIR, NENG, SDIX

And a few interesting pennies: SLGLF, NIHK

Here's a chart for TRMM.  Good luck tomorrow everyone!

dwest718

Not doing so well today.  Good day for TRMM until the bottom dropped out.  Absolutely no buying pressure for DOVP or TMTA and a relatively neutral day for NENG and SWIR make for a day where I'm down almost 1% when the market is up...  :-[

Hopefully I'll close a little stronger.  TRMM should recover but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

dwest718

#13
Quote from: dwest718 on December 20, 2006, 01:05:30 PM
Not doing so well today.  Good day for TRMM until the bottom dropped out.  Absolutely no buying pressure for DOVP or TMTA and a relatively neutral day for NENG and SWIR make for a day where I'm down almost 1% when the market is up...  :-[

Hopefully I'll close a little stronger.  TRMM should recover but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Well the bad day continued.  Finished down almost $175 today (-1.5%) in a sideways day for the markets.  I'll talk about each of my stocks and then each of the stocks I was watching, prune my list down, and figure out I want to do with my portfolio for the rest of the week.

First, my portfolio:
DIVX - a nice up day today on a down day for the markets; another up day tomorrow and we could have the start of another run
27 shares @ 27.69 (+2%)
Holding (with stop @ 21.90)

SWIR - another sideways day; only closed down slightly so another day of uncertainty; could go either way; still attractive
140 shares @ 13.20 (+27%)
Holding (with stop @ 10.50)

TMTA - another day of basically no movement; hit and closed on the 1.11 support; hope to see an up day tomorrow; will consider selling soon if another down day tomorrow
785 shares @ 1.11 (-14%)
Holding with mental stop @ 1.03

DOVP - got killed today; couldn't do anything because it dropped 10% in about 2 minutes and couldn't find a place to get out... so I can sit on it a few days because it seemed to hit a good bit of support at .26 and is being bid up a bit AH; double bottomed at .26 and has plenty of support @ .23 so I'm not too worried; Should've sold on the 2nd touch of the 50dma but got greedy; Lots of volume today so I'll see what happens tomorrow
1400 shares @ 0.27 (-18%)
Holding with mental stop @ .21-.22

NENG - started off the day very well with a nice white candle but ended with a doji star and almost an inverted hammer on slighly above average volume; moved my stop up today and think this is a bit of consolidation before another run like the 2.25, 2.35, and 2.60 levels; will watch closely over the next few days;
320 shares @ 2.68 (+16%)
Holding with stop @ 2.40


TRMM - started off the day just as we ended yesterday with a very nice move upward; then seemed to double top at 2.39/2.40 hit some resistance and turned a downtrend all the way down to 2.07 before bouncing off of that level twice and close a little higher @ 2.19; interesting pattern formed... will have to wait and see what happens
480 shares @ 2.19 (+3%)
Holding with stop at 1.65

And then the stocks I was watching:
WRLS - another solid day as it gapped up and finished up; will continue to watch closely

FORG - started the day very well with the run off the support that several predicted but almost closed all the way at the lows of the day to form an inverted hammer but got a little help from a jump just before the bell; looks to have closed below the trend line on only average volume so the run could be over for now; will watch carefully tomorrow

BPA - another hammer today but hammered off of the 200dma so could have bounced off support and be back on the way up; like FORG, will continue to watch carefully but this one could turn around; a red candle today would've been bad but the hammer offers hope

SDIX - started as a bad day and looked to continue lower and confirm the start of a downward consolidation/trend but ended up closing up slightly; still will be dropped from consideration with another down day but some buying pressure and a white candle could cause a bit of a jump

TTP - started the day off very poorly and almost hit the resistance/gap @ 3.00 before recovering and closing well; still on the list but could go either way.

TSTC - had a rough day today but is still attractive; will continue to watch and see what develops; could be a small consolidation patch before a few more white soldiers like 2 weeks ago and then a week or so before that


Both pennies had a very rough day but actually close alright.
-NIHK was down almost 20% but bounced off of the 200dma and closed above it.  Could be a possible buying opportunity as there was some buying pressure before the bell and the price is being bid up slightly AH
-SLGLF is a similar case to NIHK but did not quite make it to the 200dma.  Could have a bit more room to fall before it goes up again.

Sorry for the novel folks but felt like posting my thoughts on all these stocks.  I'll post my picks for tomorrow with any new stocks I've found and maybe a graph or two later tonight.  Hope for a better day tomorrow  :)

dwest718

#14
Well... another bad day  :-\ mainly thanks to DIVX.   Don't really have time to update but dissappointed I was fully invested and did not have the opportunity to get in on NIHK today... called it last night but only had 60 bucks in the account to trade.  Teaches me another valuable lesson I guess.

In depth "Week End" update to come tomorrow.  Will update my holdings with a few charts, look over this weeks watch list, and start getting ready for next week with some picks and some charts.

Closing Value as of 12/21/06: 11184.09