3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

News:

Welcome to 3StocksOnFire! US stock trading community (2005-2010) with 451+ documented trades and 15,000+ members. View Portfolios | Stock Articles | Quotes

Main Menu

Session of 02/16/2007

Started by David Randolph, February 16, 2007, 09:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TraderStar

I can't get the ripoffreport.com site to come up at all and also the above (corrected) link does not work...

TraderStar

Quote from: nica33 on February 16, 2007, 01:41:42 PM
Quote from: tokyopua on February 16, 2007, 01:08:24 PM
Quote from: TraderStar on February 16, 2007, 12:30:37 PM
great info raven .. looks like I will be trading this one purely technically.

Can anyone recommend a good book (for beginners) on understanding fundamentals?

David routinely recommends "Mastering Fundamental Analysis".  I just got it in the mail and have only read a few pages, but seems good so far  ;)

Coincidence! I'm reading Getting started in fundamental analysis.  Michael C. Thomsett.  Same autor

Oh wow .. as it turns out I have his Getting Started in Options book ... so guess I will go with this one (Getting Started in Fundamental Analysis) as it was written only last year so should contain newer information and hopefully he has correctec some of the things people were complaining about in their reviews of the earlier book.

Quasi

Quote from: TraderStar on February 16, 2007, 02:59:35 PM
I can't get the ripoffreport.com site to come up at all and also the above (corrected) link does not work...

It's there I got it this morning, but it is very very slow, about 90 sec to load the page, then couple of minutes to load the next page.  I think it's probably a private site running on an old  Pentium I in somebodies basement.  I just went and got a coffee while I waited for it to come up.

Quasi
JMHO subject to change without notice,
Happy Investing / Trading

Quasi

nullzero

Quote from: TraderStar on February 16, 2007, 02:59:35 PM
I can't get the ripoffreport.com site to come up at all and also the above (corrected) link does not work...

Ripoffreport got ripped off on server hosting... hehe

nullzero

PSFW btw is showing a nice gain today. Currently up 3.92% .04 change.

tokyopua

Quote from: TraderStar on February 16, 2007, 02:50:53 PM
Quote from: nica33 on February 16, 2007, 01:41:42 PM
Quote from: tokyopua on February 16, 2007, 01:08:24 PM
Quote from: TraderStar on February 16, 2007, 12:30:37 PM
great info raven .. looks like I will be trading this one purely technically.

Can anyone recommend a good book (for beginners) on understanding fundamentals?

David routinely recommends "Mastering Fundamental Analysis".  I just got it in the mail and have only read a few pages, but seems good so far  ;)

Coincidence! I'm reading Getting started in fundamental analysis.  Michael C. Thomsett.  Same autor

I checked on Amazon and Mastering Fundamental Analysis has some scathing reviews, although the good reviews seem to understand better what the author was trying to do .. explain in simple terms fundamental analysis to those who do not understand it .. which is what I am looking for.  I will now check reviews on the 2nd book ... however will be interested to hear what nica and tokyo think of their respective books .. as our purpose here is to understand the fundies the way David does (though not as expert of course!).  Just a basic understanding so I can follow what he is saying better, that is what I want.

Tokyo .. are you in (or from) Tokyo ... konnichi-wa??

Konnichi wa TraderStar... actually I am from the US but I used to live in Tokyo for many years, so I do speak Japanese...

I like the book so far, it has given me some good insights I didnt realize in just the first 20 pages, and I can already see some of what David talks about a lot reflected in it.  I figure it might be a nice set to get the technical analysis and options trading versions of his books too.
Chance favors the prepared mind

Quasi

Quote from: prodigykid6 on February 16, 2007, 02:36:42 PM
Options Question....when call options expire in the money then does the holder turn around and sell them on the open market the next day? im trying to figure out if a stock will go down because of heavy call buying...thanks guys


Well all those guys buying the calls are betting the stock will go up, it would be contrarian to bet against them.

As far as the calls expiring, I'm not an options expert, but if you're in the money you better exercise them on or before expiry as there is no selling them the next day.  Check with your broker, mine will automatically exercise me at the end of expiry day, if I'm in the money by more than the exercise commission.  Also if this happens better make sure you have money or margin because your gonna own the stock.

Quasi
JMHO subject to change without notice,
Happy Investing / Trading

Quasi

tokyopua

Quote from: nullzero on February 16, 2007, 03:12:01 PM
PSFW btw is showing a nice gain today. Currently up 3.92% .04 change.

Low volume but I will gladly take it.  Looks like David's prediction for a right shoulder on the inverse HnS is coming true  ;)
Chance favors the prepared mind

nullzero

#68
Volume picking up on PFSW someone is buying :). Up over 8% now, so one of the 3 stocks is showing some life in the portfolio :). Big seller at 1.13 showing up on my Level 2, if it breaks above that this one its off to the races.

eggman11

Concerning CPNE. All companies of going to have complaints. Try doing a search on dell and Wal-mart.  This reminds of Systemax (SYX) another one of David's picks. Bears and even stocklemon were saying the company is crooked and going to fail pointing out all of the complaints about the company to the BBB and various other websites and their "shady: rebate program. The bears would provide lots of links to various complaints about them. In the meantime SYX went from 12 to 28 where it is now and hitting news highs every week. Every company is going to have complaints against it, that is just part of doing business.

kslifka


nullzero

Quote from: eggman11 on February 16, 2007, 03:23:38 PM
Concerning CPNE. All companies of going to have complaints. Try doing a search on dell and Wal-mart.  This reminds of Systemax (SYX) another one of David's picks. Bears and even stocklemon were saying the company is crooked and going to fail pointing out all of the complaints about the company to the BBB and various other websites and their "shady: rebate program. The bears would provide lots of links to various complaints about them. In the meantime SYX went from 12 to 28 where it is now and hitting news highs every week. Every company is going to have complaints against it, that is just part of doing business.

Totally agree tigerdirect (part of Systemax) has over 1011 complaints with the BBB in the last 36 months. 32 complaints with Systemax so a total of 1043 adding in tigerdirect. Compared to 322 with CPNE, when you sell goods and services to people over the internet you will get more complaints then a brick and mortar store. Because of the fact there is no in person customer support.

WallStreetnBio

Quote from: Quasi on February 16, 2007, 03:19:12 PM
Quote from: prodigykid6 on February 16, 2007, 02:36:42 PM
Options Question....when call options expire in the money then does the holder turn around and sell them on the open market the next day? im trying to figure out if a stock will go down because of heavy call buying...thanks guys


Well all those guys buying the calls are betting the stock will go up, it would be contrarian to bet against them.

As far as the calls expiring, I'm not an options expert, but if you're in the money you better exercise them on or before expiry as there is no selling them the next day.  Check with your broker, mine will automatically exercise me at the end of expiry day, if I'm in the money by more than the exercise commission.  Also if this happens better make sure you have money or margin because your gonna own the stock.

Quasi

thanks Quasi, so if the big boys are pumping up there stock to maximize there call options return...wouldn't there be mass selling to exersice the calls? I'm looking at ONXX and I have a feeling the only reason its up this much is so the big boys can lock in there call option gains at the end of the day today. I'm thinking about buying the March 25 puts
#1  CDS
#2  XING

rudynostalgia

Check SVA. It's up over 12% in the last 90 minutes. Chinese bio-tech with strong flu vaccine science.

nullzero

PFSW may run into the 1.20s! this is looking very good. Its about to break overhead resistance at 1.15-1.16. Volume has just kicked in full swing last 30mins.