3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

Session of 02/28/2007

Started by David Randolph, February 28, 2007, 09:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Randolph

Quote from: nullzero on February 28, 2007, 09:58:09 AM
Got some to start off.

FRPT
JADE
ACH
AOB

JADE has a nice growth story, I wouldn't go selling that one.

ACH has an extremely high sales multiple, but the company is also profitable and not diluting shareholder's value. I guess there are better things outthere.

I like AOB on a correction and it is in a "defensive" sector.

For now I have FRPT on the short side, let me cover some more, thanks :)

york1111

Hi, David, could you have a look at ONT ? Is it still good in short term? I hold it @1.2. Thanks .

David Randolph

3 Stocks is having technical problems, sorry for that.

I'm just going to continue to listen to Bernanke some more time, will be back in a minute.

BigSully1

Strange how a  wake up call can immediately change sentiment from overly optimistic to extremely pessimistic in one day. Hmm.

TraderStar

Quote from: David Randolph on February 28, 2007, 11:02:52 AM
3 Stocks is having technical problems, sorry for that.


Yeah .. I've been trying to post for an hour!

Try again ... shorts:
CELG, ITW, CY
and although IBM is higher priced, it traditionally always fills its gaps and has one to fill at 88.  I am getting some puts (meant to get some a week ago .. but, oh well  ;D )

kpusan

Yesterday dip buys CPNE ELT ACKH seems to be holding up  ;D

Bought some NTTL @.62 this morning.

Still not comfortable with the market so watching very closely

Darn it,  I cannot short since I don't  have a margin account but will use this forum to learn more about shorting.

Good luck David!!

trexkerry

I would prefer to see the portfolios develop a long/short percentage target, similar to the invested/cash targets that brokerages have.  For example, during a bull market we may be 90% long and 10% short meaning we look for 9 stocks that you like long and 1 stock that is likely to drop. 

Maybe now we should be 30/70 where we only take the best of the longs and are more willing to short weak stocks.  I don't like the all or nothing approach, but hey, I'm here to learn and maybe my thinking needs adjusting.  David has a great track record so I will give him the benefit of the doubt!

BigSully1

 I think that's a very good idea, Trexberry. A "market neutral" approach. Short the most lousy speculative stocks and long only the best.

tokyopua

How about SIGM?  PE is 331 :o
Chance favors the prepared mind

bourbonstreet_crawdaddy

CPNE just hit $2.54 +$.31 (UP 13.9% at 11:31am EST), and is rebounding strongly from it's recent decline!

Great Pick David - CPNE.OB is a Winner, and investors are figuring out what the numbers mean.

Good Luck to all Longs in CPNE.OB!

Bourbon     :D


nica33

I'm neutral too.  Maybe the rebound today is not trusty, but I'm not shorting. There are a lot of well known stocks doing great today; JADE, CBLI, SYX, CECE,....
Keep it simple !!

David Randolph

Quote from: tokyopua on February 28, 2007, 11:25:47 AM
How about SIGM?  PE is 331 :o

Yep, expectations are extremely inflated on SIGM, sold that one short at $28.13.

TraderStar

Quote from: bourbonstreet_crawdaddy on February 28, 2007, 11:35:04 AM
CPNE just hit $2.54 +$.31 (UP 13.9% at 11:31am EST), and is rebounding strongly from it's recent decline!


Yes, dang I chickened out & sold 2/3 this morning .. but did keep 1/3 so we shall see where it goes from here  8)

nsioufi

Hello David,

During Q1 of every year, the market experiences a collapse, or at least, it has for the past few years.  Soon after the collapse, the market rallies, recovers, and all are happy.

Short selling is one strategy, but what about us poor sods who cannot get margin accounts?  I was counting on your wisdom and experience, as well as that of some of my fellow members, to make a quick buck every now and then, while simultaneously learning how to do so on my own.

Any chance there will be a 3stocksonfire based on that coming back soon? to a theater near us? soon?  ::)

Thanks, and good luck to all on your Short Sells.  8)

N.

Se7en

Quote from: trexkerry on February 28, 2007, 11:14:01 AM
I would prefer to see the portfolios develop a long/short percentage target, similar to the invested/cash targets that brokerages have.  For example, during a bull market we may be 90% long and 10% short meaning we look for 9 stocks that you like long and 1 stock that is likely to drop. 

Maybe now we should be 30/70 where we only take the best of the longs and are more willing to short weak stocks.  I don't like the all or nothing approach, but hey, I'm here to learn and maybe my thinking needs adjusting.  David has a great track record so I will give him the benefit of the doubt!

I agree because I think not everyone is able to short, atleast not me!  :(
Així és la Catalunya, així és el Barça! Mès que un club!!!