3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

News:

Welcome to 3StocksOnFire! US stock trading community (2005-2010) with 451+ documented trades and 15,000+ members. View Portfolios | Stock Articles | Quotes

Main Menu

Session of 03/07/2007

Started by David Randolph, March 07, 2007, 09:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tokyopua

Quote from: David Randolph on March 07, 2007, 03:55:43 PM
History repeated itself on HEPH, but this time it didn't caught me, I feel good :)

Applauds for that David, nice call!
Chance favors the prepared mind

dnickers

QuoteThe second case would be to keep the number of months the same and change the future gains required based on actual performance. So in this case the minimum gain required is lower by 1% because of the SOF performance of 51% in the  first two months.

Hi George - The problem is that you can't change the future gains because we don't know them...we can only use data that we already have.  One can look at it many ways I suppose, but the correct way was the calculation David stated.

Either way though....nice.   >:D


dnickers

Great call on HEPH David - good memory  :o

buddjas1

Quote from: David Randolph on March 07, 2007, 11:44:16 AM
If we're still in a bull market as you claim, I'll be back at buying stocks on fire. The jury is still out on that question. I believe that the market is bearish for as long as the SPY is trading below $141.69.

I switched from a bull to undecided this afternoon.  The close in the US markets gives me caution.  I am all cash now, except for a position in QID.  I'll be on the sidelines until I figure out where this market is heading.

By the way, it looks like E*Trade soon will offer trading in select foreign markets (Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, and the United Kingdom).  Time for 3SOF to go global?

David Randolph

Quote from: dnickers on March 07, 2007, 04:00:45 PM
QuoteThe second case would be to keep the number of months the same and change the future gains required based on actual performance. So in this case the minimum gain required is lower by 1% because of the SOF performance of 51% in the  first two months.

Hi George - The problem is that you can't change the future gains because we don't know them...we can only use data that we already have.  One can look at it many ways I suppose, but the correct way was the calculation David stated.

Either way though....nice.   >:D

Right dnickers. I would like to achieve that goal, but also to do it in a sound strategic way, in a way that could be repeated in the future. If it is done with a lot of risk, it was just luck. If it is done with a lot of trades, I guess it would have the help of the people that followed the Fire Portfolio (at least in the beginning), so, also no merit in that path.

To make 10 times his money, one only has to double it 3.25 times. Doesn't look all that difficult. Diversification can be a hurdle when one thinks of it this way.

David Randolph

Quote from: AKgirl on March 07, 2007, 03:38:02 PM
looking forward ..... uranium stocks ...  slx.au    jnn.v   txm.to    uuu.v  pxp.v

Hi AKgirl :)

Unfortunately I don't have technical or fundamental data on stocks traded outside the US exchanges, NYSE, Nasdaq, AMEX and OTCBB. But they can be great investments, good luck :) (even though I'm a bear on metal prices going forward)

WallStreetnBio

who was it that said short HMIN? what is your opinion on the earnings release today? send me a private message if Dave closes the board...Thanks
#1  CDS
#2  XING

Stocky2000

this looks powerful  :o

tokyopua

Quote from: buddjas1 on March 07, 2007, 04:07:46 PM
Quote from: David Randolph on March 07, 2007, 11:44:16 AM
If we're still in a bull market as you claim, I'll be back at buying stocks on fire. The jury is still out on that question. I believe that the market is bearish for as long as the SPY is trading below $141.69.

I switched from a bull to undecided this afternoon.  The close in the US markets gives me caution.  I am all cash now, except for a position in QID.  I'll be on the sidelines until I figure out where this market is heading.

By the way, it looks like E*Trade soon will offer trading in select foreign markets (Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, and the United Kingdom).  Time for 3SOF to go global?

I plan to play around with some trading in Japan when Etrade rolls that out, their market is beat up right now but I think their fundamentals are better than those in the US, the only thing they will have to do is deal with a strong yen, but they have done that before.

Chance favors the prepared mind

David Randolph

Quote from: buddjas1 on March 07, 2007, 04:07:46 PM
Quote from: David Randolph on March 07, 2007, 11:44:16 AM
If we're still in a bull market as you claim, I'll be back at buying stocks on fire. The jury is still out on that question. I believe that the market is bearish for as long as the SPY is trading below $141.69.

I switched from a bull to undecided this afternoon.  The close in the US markets gives me caution.  I am all cash now, except for a position in QID.  I'll be on the sidelines until I figure out where this market is heading.

By the way, it looks like E*Trade soon will offer trading in select foreign markets (Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, and the United Kingdom).  Time for 3SOF to go global?

Wow, are you sure buddjas1? Now that you're all cash (even a bit short), we're all bears here, who is left to sell then? ;D

Nah, I won't fall for that one ... the market is much, much bigger than we here at 3 Stocks, or even people writing on internet websites for that matter. The people that really move money (I can't disclose whom I'm talking about or my wife would be fired) bought all the chips they still had left (I'm talking billions - managed by people that don't have a clue of what they're doing - doesn't mean they're necessarily wrong this time) on the first correction day, thinking "this is just a correction, prices are so cheap now" ;)


David Randolph

Quote from: prodigykid6 on March 07, 2007, 04:15:17 PM
who was it that said short HMIN? what is your opinion on the earnings release today? send me a private message if Dave closes the board...Thanks

I guess I can leave it open from now on, just start a new thread each day. I'll just turn off the computer (I have kids, and a wife, and would like to keep her :-*) but will leave the board open, no need to close it each day if you want to continue talking (if someone posts porno stuff I guess one of the moderator's will delete it ;D)

The Fire Portfolio was up on the day, but just a tiny 2.5% compared to the 9% set back yesterday.

I'll be here tomorrow, see you :)

ravenquork

Quote from: David Randolph on March 07, 2007, 04:20:48 PM
Quote from: buddjas1 on March 07, 2007, 04:07:46 PM
Quote from: David Randolph on March 07, 2007, 11:44:16 AM
If we're still in a bull market as you claim, I'll be back at buying stocks on fire. The jury is still out on that question. I believe that the market is bearish for as long as the SPY is trading below $141.69.

I switched from a bull to undecided this afternoon.  The close in the US markets gives me caution.  I am all cash now, except for a position in QID.  I'll be on the sidelines until I figure out where this market is heading.

By the way, it looks like E*Trade soon will offer trading in select foreign markets (Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, and the United Kingdom).  Time for 3SOF to go global?

Wow, are you sure buddjas1? Now that you're all cash (even a bit short), we're all bears here, who is left to sell then? ;D

Nah, I won't fall for that one ... the market is much, much bigger than we here at 3 Stocks, or even people writing on internet websites for that matter. The people that really move money (I can't disclose whom I'm talking about or my wife would be fired) bought all the chips they still had left (I'm talking billions - managed by people that don't have a clue of what they're doing - doesn't mean they're necessarily wrong this time) on the first correction day, thinking "this is just a correction, prices are so cheap now" ;)



David, I am not sure I understand you. Are You sugesting that atleast some money bought heavily into the pull back?

Se7en

David, won't you forget to ask Ramsburg if it's possible to reinstall the 3SOF chatroom? Would be nice to have it back! thx!
Així és la Catalunya, així és el Barça! Mès que un club!!!

Ramsburg

Quote from: Se7en on March 07, 2007, 04:52:32 PM
David, won't you forget to ask Ramsburg if it's possible to reinstall the 3SOF chatroom? Would be nice to have it back! thx!

I'm working on that Se7en ;)
Frederick Ramsburg
www.3stocksonfire.org

Try our Premium Service or just Register a FREE Account

Se7en

Quote from: Ramsburg on March 07, 2007, 05:03:26 PM
Quote from: Se7en on March 07, 2007, 04:52:32 PM
David, won't you forget to ask Ramsburg if it's possible to reinstall the 3SOF chatroom? Would be nice to have it back! thx!

I'm working on that Se7en ;)
Thx! 8)
If it's ready, could you send a notification mail to all our members so everybody will be aware of it, the more participants we'll have the better!  :)
Thx again!
Així és la Catalunya, així és el Barça! Mès que un club!!!