3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

About the 3 Stocks on Fire Portfolio

Started by David Randolph, March 12, 2007, 07:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Randolph

From now on the 3 Stocks on Fire Portfolio page will only be accessible to 3 SOF Premium service subscribers.

The 3 Stocks on Fire Portfolio will be composed by my 3 preferred holdings of the Main Portfolio, solving the problem of people with not enough resources to diversify their portfolio through 15 different holdings.

News or changes about the 3 SOF Portfolio will be send through the daily newsletter (by e-mail and private message). As it happens with the Main Portfolio, there won't be intraday trades or decisions, all decisions will be made with the market closed.

The 3 SOF Portfolio no longer has the objective of turning $15,000 into $150,000. Its objective is to find the best of the best medium to long term picks for a concentrated portfolio. Results will flow naturally.

I've spent several years making short term trading over my 11 years trading career. This experience tells me short term trading shows great results when my hand is hot, and poor results when my hand is cold, in a never ending boom and bust cycle. 

I believe long term outstanding performance is achievable through hard work using technical and fundamental analysis and having a real cool head ;)

I've considered all suggestions, thought about what I would really like to do and which direction www.3stocksonfire.org should take and came up with this solution. Of course, it doesn't suit all different personalities (which would be impossible) but I believe it is a great value proposition.

Have a nice day :)

David Randolph

I've copied this suggestion of eggman11 from SILC's thread:

QuoteDavid,

You mention that SILC is still one of the most attractive stocks in the portfolio. Would it be in the top 3 most attractive stocks? Is the 3 stocks on fire, still your top 3 currently. I think the stocks on fire would greatly benefit from a weekly update confirming your 3 favorite picks and any current stocks within the portfolio with potential for the 3 stocks portfolio.

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion eggman11, the way things are going, there will be a very objective criteria to know which stocks are the top 3 holdings of the Main Portfolio, and therefore should be bought for the 3 Stocks on Fire Portfolio.

After I've designed the new valuation model for all holdings, we'll be able to order them from the most attractive to the least attractive, simply using the share price CAGR criteria. The stocks with the highest expected share price CAGR are the most attractive.

Just give me a week or so to have this done. This thread is open for additional strategic discussion about the 3 Stocks on Fire Portfolio.

Thanks :)

tokyopua

Quote from: David Randolph on April 10, 2007, 07:01:48 AM
I've copied this suggestion of eggman11 from SILC's thread:

QuoteDavid,

You mention that SILC is still one of the most attractive stocks in the portfolio. Would it be in the top 3 most attractive stocks? Is the 3 stocks on fire, still your top 3 currently. I think the stocks on fire would greatly benefit from a weekly update confirming your 3 favorite picks and any current stocks within the portfolio with potential for the 3 stocks portfolio.

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion eggman11, the way things are going, there will be a very objective criteria to know which stocks are the top 3 holdings of the Main Portfolio, and therefore should be bought for the 3 Stocks on Fire Portfolio.

After I've designed the new valuation model for all holdings, we'll be able to order them from the most attractive to the least attractive, simply using the share price CAGR criteria. The stocks with the highest expected share price CAGR are the most attractive.

Just give me a week or so to have this done. This thread is open for additional strategic discussion about the 3 Stocks on Fire Portfolio.

Thanks :)

I think this will be a nice addition to that portfolio, good idea.

The one thing I miss about the way it was going was the community aspect where people were really talking in one place about stocks that were hot, posting charts, ideas, etc.  I was hoping chat would somehow be like that but so far its a bit of a no mans land, I stayed logged in most of the day but saw almost no exchange. 

Could we basically keep an "On Fire" type thread running here like there was before?  Say without the element of people asking you for analysis, but just where people can share ideas in the same way that was happening a month ago?  Especially with earnings season starting again, I think that could be fun  :)
Chance favors the prepared mind

David Randolph

QuoteCould we basically keep an "On Fire" type thread running here like there was before?  Say without the element of people asking you for analysis, but just where people can share ideas in the same way that was happening a month ago?  Especially with earnings season starting again, I think that could be fun :)

Sure, why not?

I'll start one at the Stock Picking board because there is more audience there, from subscribers and registered users, what do you think?

tokyopua

Quote from: David Randolph on April 10, 2007, 07:58:59 AM
QuoteCould we basically keep an "On Fire" type thread running here like there was before?  Say without the element of people asking you for analysis, but just where people can share ideas in the same way that was happening a month ago?  Especially with earnings season starting again, I think that could be fun :)

Sure, why not?

I'll start one at the Stock Picking board because there is more audience there, from subscribers and registered users, what do you think?

Yes, that would be great!   8)
Chance favors the prepared mind

nullzero


Houlahan

I agree with the no-man's land chat box.
I tried the "chat" too. The only "person" I see is lordbot and it does not talk about stocks.
It is very strange. It asked off the wall questions like...Do you have friends?.

It would be nice to change the "chat" format to chatter about stocks.

Just my small opinion. Thanks for listening.
"If a woman does her best, what else is there?"

nullzero

Quote from: Houlahan on April 11, 2007, 10:33:34 AM
I agree with the no-man's land chat box.
I tried the "chat" too. The only "person" I see is lordbot and it does not talk about stocks.
It is very strange. It asked off the wall questions like...Do you have friends?.

It would be nice to change the "chat" format to chatter about stocks.

Just my small opinion. Thanks for listening.

Yeah I agree chat is dead a good amount of time. I rarely see more then 2-3 people in when it does fill up.

David Randolph

Quote from: Houlahan on April 11, 2007, 10:33:34 AM
I agree with the no-man's land chat box.
I tried the "chat" too. The only "person" I see is lordbot and it does not talk about stocks.
It is very strange. It asked off the wall questions like...Do you have friends?.

It would be nice to change the "chat" format to chatter about stocks.

Just my small opinion. Thanks for listening.

Lol, I guess you were talking to a machine Houlahan ;D

I would like to energize the chat, probably that would be the best place for what most of you are looking for, just talking about stocks that are on fire over the short term.

I have so many things to do over the next few days ... but it's a promise, next week I'll start putting that chat on fire!

Instead of the Stock Picking thread just give me a week to put the chat up and running with public. I'll start Monday sending a newsletter to the 9,200 plus 3 SOF registered users, inviting them for the chat ;)

nicknite20

Personally i dont think the chat will work, as its difficult to sign on to it at a certain given time in a day. I rather check a message board & post when time permits.

I miss the stock-talking board as well where ideas were exchanged.

Just my 0.02c

David Randolph

Quote from: nicknite20 on April 11, 2007, 11:09:14 AM
Personally i dont think the chat will work, as its difficult to sign on to it at a certain given time in a day. I rather check a message board & post when time permits.

I miss the stock-talking board as well where ideas were exchanged.

Just my 0.02c

Hmm, ok.

Since you guys have different opinions on this, let me give you mine. Personally I believe it is a waste of time to be talking about stocks that way, without a previous in depth study. People will be saying: "Hey, XYZ is running", "look at the news out for KWA", "$5 was just broken on the upside", etc.

Although this can be a fine entertainment, I prefer to do other things with my spare time, as this business is too serious to be treated like that. We're not gambling here, we're talking about people's hard earned money and financial lives.

Of course, I'm guilty of doing that in the past, but I would like to go over it and discuss more in depth and strategic stuff, that can truly lead to an above average long term performance. I don't miss the excitement of talking about flying stocks, as I don't miss the sorrow of stocks going down after I buy because of something I didn't have time to see before my purchase, because I had to act quickly or miss the move.

Anyway, as I've learned in school, "the costumer is always right", and if you want a crowded chat to talk and a thread about quick talk on stocks, who am I not to provide it?

I'll do that, the thread on the Stock Picking board will start in a few moments and the chat will be crowded in one or two weeks time.

Thank you for your suggestions :)

nicknite20

David,
Thanks for accomodating. I have also been guilty of rash buying at times, but Ive been trying to steer towards some a lot more DD before buying. I also have a 1 week test which i employ for BUYS (if i still like a stock 1 week after i first analyze it, i buy it). I do miss the short term run at times, but Im looking for medium-long term returns.

We have some knowledgable people here who do post some ideas with research & insight which i find very useful.

Ive employed other stock picking services / boards over the past few years, but yours is by far the best one Ive ever signed up for.
Regards,
Nick

David Randolph

QuoteIve employed other stock picking services / boards over the past few years, but yours is by far the best one Ive ever signed up for.
Regards,
Nick

Wow Nick, I was really in the need of reading such nice words, thanks a lot :)

Here's your thread on the Stock Picking board: Stocks on Fire thread

kpunarc

3SOF board:

That's awesome. I think this idea is great for those still needing to 'grow' their portfolio.

3SOF Chat:

Maybe we can have a schedule or a calendar to start out. For example.
"Saturday @ 8:00pm ET: Technical Analysis"
"Sunday @ 1:00pm ET: Options"
"Wednesday @ 6:00pm ET: Fundamental Analysis"
"M-F @ 12:00pm ET: Controlling Emotions"
"Thursday April 12 @ 3pm: Short Term vs. Long-Term strategies"

blah blah...they're just examples but you could have a monthly or weekly calendar sent through email at the beginning of each week/month and then adjust the schedule to meet the needs of the members as time goes by...
"October is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August and February."
- Mark Twain

eggman11

David,

Are you going to update the status of the 3 stocks on fire portfolio this weekend? To Re-evaluate and discuss if the current 3 stocks are still the best 3 stocks.

Thanks,

Eric