3StocksOnFire — US Stock Trading Community · 451+ trades · 257% returns · 15,000 members · Main Site · Trader's Guide · Articles · Video Analyses
3 Stocks On Fire
3StocksOnFire Community Forum
Home Message Boards Trader's Guide Articles Video Analysis About Us Search Register

News:

Welcome to 3StocksOnFire! US stock trading community (2005-2010) with 451+ documented trades and 15,000+ members. View Portfolios | Stock Articles | Quotes

Main Menu

VPHM - Sector: Healthcare---Industry: Biotechnology & Drugs

Started by eliteG, June 02, 2005, 08:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramsburg

Quote from: Adam on August 12, 2005, 12:55:29 PM
Where is the support on VPHM?

The exact spot of the ascending support line is: $9.78, which by coincidence or not is exactly the low of the day.
Frederick Ramsburg
www.3stocksonfire.org

Try our Premium Service or just Register a FREE Account

Se7en

I'm also tempted to buy but what if it closes below 9.78$, can we expect a further drop if this happens?
Currently it's at 9.75 ...
Així és la Catalunya, així és el Barça! Mès que un club!!!

TRUNK

I'm in for 180 shares.. lets see what happens

Se7en

I'm also in, bought 267 shares at 9.80$!

Let's rebound on monday or even better, today!!! ;D
Així és la Catalunya, així és el Barça! Mès que un club!!!

stocky

Also in VPHM at exactly 9.89 though bought just a second before 3SF mail alert. :)

Ramsburg

Quote from: metro on August 12, 2005, 01:02:25 PM
For volatile stocks linear charts are often used as was done - this is a log chart and you can see that the trend line break would have gotten you out of the stock a few days ago.

The stock is now below the lower band so may bounce in here or look to the 50 day EMA at 9.13 which would be a nice place also.

The linear that was used will probably work out but I just wanted to point out the two variants as it is good to check them both on stocks that have had big moves. Most of the time I use log charts as they work more for the average stock or index.



Nice input metro ! (applaud)
Frederick Ramsburg
www.3stocksonfire.org

Try our Premium Service or just Register a FREE Account

Ramsburg

Quote from: Se7en on August 12, 2005, 01:08:54 PM
I'm also tempted to buy but what if it closes below 9.78$, can we expect a further drop if this happens?
Currently it's at 9.75 ...

Yes, that's exactly the risk on this trade. The support level will be our stop level.

This is a technical play, we are beting on the support reactin, and also we think VPHM is too much oversold on the short term.
Frederick Ramsburg
www.3stocksonfire.org

Try our Premium Service or just Register a FREE Account

TRUNK

This is a dumb question, but I've never placed a stop order before.. How would I do it.. I'm on Ameritrade and do I choose

a.) stop market
b.) stop limit
c.) stop %
d.) stop $

I bought in at $9.82  , where should i place the stop and what type?   thanks in advance

stocky

Dont know about ameri but in scottrade I sometimes uses STOP. Which in your case may be STOP $.

Due to the volatile nature of VPHM, I wont dare to put a stop, however, will analyse it 'end of the day'.

Can't say where you should put the stop, b/c I am not doing it myself.

Se7en

Options Expire at close Fri Aug 19 2005, will this have any impact on the pps next week?
Així és la Catalunya, així és el Barça! Mès que un club!!!

cumulina

TRUNK:  ;)

NOT a dumb question!

I once had a danish "penny-stock" that was taking off like a rocket...but I had to leave the computer and wanted to set a stop, just in case something bad happened.
Thought it over, found a good price, - and sold them all by mistake! ::) ::) ::)

Same problem as you have: what does the terms mean?

Haven't used that function since!

The stock rallied out of reach, without me.

Call/write your broker - and don't take chances  ;)

Good luck to you.
Happy trading...

:)

Cumulina.

imvirginot

Thanks for the heads up, l got in @9.85, just missed the 9.80 by seconds :o

Tirebldr

In scottrade I, too, use STOP. When I first read the confusing instructions (I even wrote Scottrade who was very helpful) , I experimented with ONE share. If it sold by mistake, I figured I hadn't lost all that much.

Stops still scare me. David talks about 30% loss's. That scares me also. I guess it's because I'm still not all too sure about my chart reading skills (as was evident today). All a continuous process, and now that I'm retired I can continue learning till my 401k is all gone :P (dont tell my wife I said that :D)

After Hours: 10.26 +0.06  / +0.59% Vol. 500
Art

KCScott

I can answer 2 for sure......

a.) stop market - when the price hits this level your shares will be sold at the market price. For example if you have 1,000 shares and a stop at 9.60 as soon as a trade occurs at 9.60 your shares would sell for whatever the the highest bid (market) price is. In theory you could have 500 sell at 9.60 and another 500 sell at 9.59 etc.


b.) stop limit - when the price hits this level your shares will be sold at the price you designate or higher. If you have 1,000 shares and a stop limit of 9.60 you guarantee they will all sell for at least 9.60. The risk on this is if the market gaps substantially down you may not sell your shares. For example if a trade went off at 9.60 and the next bid was at 9.57 and they continued downward your shares would not sell


c.) stop % - While not certain, I'll wager this is a way for you to put a stop in at a certain % of loss - Say if the stock drops 12% it automatically triggers your sell order. What is not clear is if it becomes a market or limit order


d.) stop $ - No guess

BTW - all of these orders are also useful in buys, say your looking to buy on a dip in price, or if your looking for a stock to run at a certain price.

Hope that helps, but you really should look at Ameritrades FAQ section for definitive answers
Those that think money can't buy happiness, don't know where to shop

TRUNK

Thanks guys, (applauded) That was all a very helpful education on stop orders.. Thankfully we didn't need to worry about those stop orders getting tripped today since VPHM had a solid close.